PDA

View Full Version : SACD player

rajacat
01-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Recommendations wanted for a reasonably priced SACD player. I'm looking for a bargain.

chas
01-15-2006, 05:43 AM
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_15020669_236572701,00.html

rajacat
01-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Chas,
That Pioneer is certainly less expensive than any other unit I've seen so far. I have been curious about SACD and had wanted to buy a new DVD player so I thought that I should get one with SACD playback.

chas
01-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Seems like a good deal .... and you can find it for $115 shipped online.

khoi911
01-30-2006, 08:47 AM
take a look at the dennon 1920.

Recommendations wanted for a reasonably priced SACD player. I'm looking for a bargain.

MikeAndAnnie
01-30-2006, 09:59 AM
If you want an inexpensive SACD player (and not a DVD/SACD combo), I would suggest taking a look at the Sony SCD-595. It has bass management functions, a 5-disc changer, and pretty good reviews for its price ($132.00 at CC). I like mine overall, and the main drawbacks are you cannot set the volume of each speaker separately (only relative to the volume of the mains. You can still set them separately via your AVR however), and cannot set the distance settings separately for each speaker, only for the Front pair, C, Surr pair, and Sub.

MichaelG
12-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I received the CE 595 a week ago and really enjoy it. My wife originally purchased an OPPO 970HD for me for my birthday; however, after recalibrating and TV adjustments I didn't feel the picture was as good as my Sony NS70H so I returned it. It made more sense to get a 5 disc multichanger instead.

Its a pretty simple player but has enough adjustments to dial it in. One interesting note is that adjusting the multichannel output seems to impact the digital output! I originally had the SW output kicked up pretty high for multichannel but felt the digital optical sound was somewhat dull on the highs and heavy thump to bass. I remembered reading a review on amazon.com that suggested the bass management setting impacted cd and sure enough, I turned down the SW output and it made a significant difference. Adjustments in the multichannel settings seemed to improve the 5.1 sound of regular CD through my receiver so that I listen to most music in surround mode.

In the end, I really love the multichannel and CD output. I have it adjusted just the way I like it for SACD and CD. I have a Diana Krall SACD and it sounds great. The CE595 has a simple remote with no power button but since I have a Sony STRDE998 I can easily control it through the main remote and it powers on and off with the receiver.

This combined with my ascend speakers make for a lot of music listening these days. I have gone from almost never listening to music to 10+ hours a week! I often listen to music while watching football with no sound. What a difference a great set of speakers has made!

Michael
340SE L/C/R, 170 SE surrounds