PDA

View Full Version : Plasma on top of 340C?

Dale Pickle
01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm struggling with center channel placement in my setup. I have a 42 inch Panasonic plasma on a relatively small stand in my apartment. I'm not crazy about wall mounting the center channel on a bracket because my landlords are very sensitive about holes in the wall and also because there is an unused door behind my TV setup.

Would it be OK to place the center channel on top of my TV stand and then put the plasma on top of it or is this just crazy? I'm not sure how much weight the cabinets can take, etc.

Alternatively, do they make center channel stands that you can place behind your TV stand and raise it all the way above the plasma from the floor?

Thanks for your help
Chris
Dale

Mag_Neato
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm evious of you plasma guys :(

Holes are easy(and cheap) to fix. A small container of spackle goes a long way!

If you know someone who does woodwork you could have them build you a custom stand to support the center above the TV. I'd think a cantilevered design would do the trick.

Alternatively, if you go for the tv-on-top-of-speaker setup, make sure the speaker has enough surface area on top, and can handle the weight of the plasma. I'd think you would want to tilt the speaker up towards the listening position depending on how high the speaker will be.

I'd try the above the set approach.

bikeman
01-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't believe any of us will know the definitive answer but if you call Ascend, they will be able to answer the question. They may also have other options. They have to deal with this situation on a regular basis. How much does the Plasma weigh and what are the demensions of it's base?

David

bikeman
01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Holes are easy(and cheap) to fix. A small container of spackle goes a long way!

It is common in the rental business to charge for the holes even when you fill them in because the paint rarely matches. It "forces" the landlord to repaint and guess who's security deposit pays for it? The tennent can fight it in small claims court but it takes a lotta documentation and knowledge of local landlord/tennent ordinances to come out with anything. It wouldn't be worth it to me. YMMV.

David

Dale Pickle
01-04-2006, 01:14 PM
It is common in the rental business to charge for the holes even when you fill them in because the paint rarely matches. It "forces" the landlord to repaint and guess who's security deposit pays for it? The tennent can fight it in small claims court but it takes a lotta documentation and knowledge of local landlord/tennent ordinances to come out with anything. It wouldn't be worth it to me. YMMV.

David

In my case, I had to sign a contract when I moved in that said I wouldn't make any holes in the walls without permission. Of course I might still do it if it turns out to be the only way that I can really set it up.

I'll check the specs on the plasma when I get home to determine the weight.

mattepntr
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma that I'm using with a stand. I have
it on a fairly wide, low cabinet. For the center channel, I decided to get a 28" center
speaker stand from Racks and stands. It sits behind the plasma, and
I angle the speaker slightly downward. I have curtains along the back wall,
so wall mounting it was out. And I didn't want it below the screen because
you're supposed to be able to localize the sound too easily if it's there.
But if I was going to place it below the screen, I wouldn't put the display
right on top of the speaker. I'd go to Lowe's or HD and pick up 4 4"x4"
blocks and stack em 2 on each side. Then I'd get a nice solid plank and lay
it across, making a little alcove for the speaker and let the wood take the weight
of the T.V. Those suckers are HEAVY.:eek:

Rick

Dale Pickle
01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma that I'm using with a stand. I have
it on a fairly wide, low cabinet. For the center channel, I decided to get a 28" center
speaker stand from Racks and stands. It sits behind the plasma, and
I angle the speaker slightly downward.

So does the center speaker stand rest on the floor? Or does it rest on the back of the TV stand?

mattepntr
01-05-2006, 12:31 PM
So does the center speaker stand rest on the floor? Or does it rest on the back of the TV stand?

I have a cabinet (similiar to a small dresser) so the stand rests on that,
standing right behind the plasma.

BGHD
01-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Would it be OK to place the center channel on top of my TV stand and then put the plasma on top of it or is this just crazy? I'm not sure how much weight the cabinets can take, etc.

I wouldn't. I'm sure the speaker can hold the weight, but they were not designed to do so.

How about something like this stand?:

https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/furniture/platinum/PFFP2b.html&cart_id=519304_12559

or

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/synergy.jsp?modelbase=sl/pm

or

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10039404&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Or, if you have deep pockets:

http://www.diamondcase.com/TT/TT_HTML_Files/TT400.HTML

Or, I've seen pictures of people using a stand (actually the setup I saw, used a CD tower) behind the TV which places the ctr ch above the screen. I'd browse the racksandstands.com site for other ideas.

chas
01-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm looking at the Panasonic 42 inch plasma and would have a similar dilemna with the center. Not to get off your topic, but do you experience any lip sync issues with the Panny plasmas?

mattepntr
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
A little OT, but-
I searched and searched, and never found a piece of HT furniture
I liked. It was either ridiculously expensive, BUTT UGLY, or both.
I'm not putting a 100 pound amplifier on a glass shelf. And I
don't live in a 23rd century, "Logan's Run"-style house either.
I'm going to go the route Curtis did i.e. find a local carpenter to build
a rustic, Mexican-styled audio rack that will fit my decor.:cool:

p.s.- no lip sync issues with my plasma, but I have the commercial model
with no TV tuner or speakers, so all the audio is handled by my DVD player
and pre/pro.