PDA

View Full Version : Ascend site is blocked!

BGHD
12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
My work has blocked my access to the Ascend site (I swear I only access it during lunch :D ). Also, I've noticed any site with 'acoustics' or 'audio' is also blocked (thank goodness not AVS yet). For you IT guys out there, how easy is it for network admins to monitor what sites I access? Deleting cookies and setting 'keep history' to '0' make a difference? Tips?

curtis
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
It is very easy.

And they don't need access to your computer to do it.

They can tell what machines are accessing what sites by just monitoring what IP addresses(machines) are creating traffic to other IP addresses(sites). Not exactly that simple.....but that is basicly how it works.

chasw98
12-19-2005, 11:19 AM
curtis is right. I can view any connection at any given point in time including the actual page in a site you are going to. I can also tell if it is your lunchtime or not. I try to be understanding and lenient, but there are always some people that abuse the use of the internet at work, therefore I block!

Chuck

BGHD
12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Ummm...Curtis, maybe you should delete this thread...just in case.

BradJudy
12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Too late, all of us IT folks are part of a secret organization and we continually trade information on our users. :D

chasw98
12-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Too late, all of us IT folks are part of a secret organization and we continually trade information on our users. :D
Duly noted.... 1 Curtis. Be on the lookout. File into massive database. Done.

Chuck

BGHD
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Deleting files, cookies, history, make a lick of difference?

curtis
12-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Nope....because they are not looking directly on your computer. They are looking at the internet traffic your computer generates and where that traffic is going.

The IT guys have LOTS of power....you better be nice to them. :D