PDA

View Full Version : Playing music from computer to A/V receiver

Eddie Horton
12-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Due to constantly keeping up with everything home theater, I haven't stayed up to date on the latest and greatest computer technology. I recently learned how to rip CD's with EAC and encode to mp3 with LAME, but now I need to know the best way to get this stuff to my receiver. There's the Airport from Apple, the Soundbridge, the Squeezebox, and good sound cards with optical or coax outs. What's the best way to get mp3's to my receiver? I don't have a wireless network, but could get one. Running cable from the computer room to the receiver wouldn't be a problem, either. I just don't know where to start with this. For what it's worth, my receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790 that I got about a year and a half ago. I am expecting Santa to bring me an iPod Nano, so could I just bypass the computer and use the iPod to deliver the tunes to my system? If so, how? I want good fidelity more than the easiest and cheapest.

sensibull
12-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I want good fidelity more than the easiest and cheapest.

I might chime in later with a more detailed take on your question (tons of variables involved), but for now I'll just suggest you rip to FLAC or some other lossless codec and not MP3, if good fidelity is a priority. Hard drive space is cheap these days, FLAC has good compression, and should your CDs ever get scratched, cracked, etc. you'll have a full-res backup ready to burn.

Eddie Horton
12-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I don't think the iPods support FLAC. Ripping to MP3 is mainly for the iPod, but I also want to send it to my receiver so I can play it through the house. For critical listening, I'll just pop in a CD or SACD/DVD-A. Maybe I should have clarified my statement. I want the best fidelity possible for lossy MP3's.

curtis
12-05-2005, 09:30 AM
I use the last generation of one of these:
http://slimdevices.com/
The new model out now looks very nice. I connect it via a digital cable to my pre/pro and let the pre/pro DACs do the work. The Slim Device supposedly also has a good DAC which should give another nice connection option.

For ripping, I use CDex and the latest version of LAME to rip music to 256kbps MP3 files......no issues for casual listening.

sensibull
12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think the iPods support FLAC.

Not currently, and probably never natively, but there are hints it will be possible to play FLAC via Itunes in the near future. Read more about halfway down this (http://losslessaudio.blogspot.com/) page.

The Squeezebox Curtis linked (a fantastic product, from what I understand) supports FLAC natively. There's also iTunes lossless.

For critical listening, I'll just pop in a CD or SACD/DVD-A. Maybe I should have clarified my statement. I want the best fidelity possible for lossy MP3's.

Fair enough, but you may be surprised once you have a digital jukebox up and running how much of a pain it becomes (by comparison) to handle and organize hard media. I also rip for archive purposes, given the fragility of CD/DVD media. If something gets scratched, lost, or stolen I have a 1:1 backup ready to burn.

And frankly, given the amount of time and energy typical Ascend owners spend attaining the highest quality fidelity within their budget, I am somewhat shocked that MP3s pass muster around here.

Just my $.02...

curtis
12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
And frankly, given the amount of time and energy typical Ascend owners spend attaining the highest quality fidelity within their budget, I am somewhat shocked that MP3s pass muster around here.

I have thought about that too.....but for me it is an issue of portability and compatibility. Using LAME at 256 produces very listenable and enjoyable reproductions for my use.

If I am going to be critical, I will sit in the listening position, and use CD's.

Dave G
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Eddie,

Someone may have already said this, but yes, you can use your iPod as a source for your system -- and without too much effort. Apple will sell you a set of connectors for your iPod what will allow you to connect your iPod to any unused set of inputs on your receiver. That's what I've done and it's worked great. Just think of your iPod as an extra CD player that's pre-loaded with a bunch of CDs.

Have fun.

Dave