PDA

View Full Version : To Sand Or Not To Sand?

TomK
11-16-2005, 07:07 AM
As I don't have little children or pets running around I have no worries about having my CMT-340s on their stands from being knocked over. My question is this. Is it really necessary to fill the stands with sand? Has anyone ever done an A-B test to see if there is an audible difference?

Tom

Lou-the-dog
11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I built stands for my 340's that are very much like the Ascend stands. I asked DaveF if I should fill them to reduce unwanted resonances and he said I could fill them BUT it was unlikely that it would make an audible difference. With that in mind, the sand probably has more value stability-wise than acoustic-wise.

Randy

curtis
11-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I read somewhere on the internet about a A/B test with stands filled and not filled with sand. It didn't make a difference.

Mine a filled with sand because I have young kids, a dog, and dumb friends. :)

TomK
11-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys for the thoughts on the sand. You confirmed my suspicions about the sonic value of sand other than ballast. Maybe someone with more acute hearing than me would notice the difference.
Curtis, soak up every minute with those young kids as they will grow up before you know it. As for your dumb friends; I am at a loss for words. (I know I've had my share)

Tom DE