PDA

View Full Version : sound meters

MRose
11-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Frank, I use a sound meter for a couple of things. First for level matching all of the different speakers. In other words, making sure each speaker sounds as loud at my listening positions. Second, I use the meter to see how balanced the frequencies are in my room. For example, I have a set of frequency tones on a cd and I play those tones at a reference level, measuring how those freqnecies at those reference levels actually produce a volume at my listening positions. This lets me know if I need to adjust equilization or cross overs frequencies.

I also use it to measure how loud my baby screams and compare it to other well know baseline sounds, like jet engines and earthquakes.

In theory, once you get everything set up, no need for the meter. I find, however, that any time I move my stuff, rearrange a room, or add new equipment, I want to check the basics with the meter.

-Michael

curtis
11-29-2003, 05:25 AM
I use it for just about everything Michael uses it for too.

I also use it when comparing speakers, since you want to compare when the speakers are at the same sound level.

-curtis

frank
11-29-2003, 11:44 PM
thanks guys for the imformation

Gregisme
01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
I read on another forum that a commonly used Radio Shack meter is inaccurate at lower frequencies. It's now being replaced by another version (Though I don't know if it's necessarily because some people deemed it to be of suspect quality. It could just be time to bring another one to the market).

Regardless, any recommendations for a sound meter?

BradJudy
01-17-2004, 06:04 AM
While the Radioshack meter is not accurate at low frequencies, there is a commonly accepted set of correction values. Many other inexpensive meters are likely to be just as inaccurate, but you won't know the proper correction factor. I haven't seen much information on the replacement meter other than a picture, so I can't say if it is more or less accurate than the original.

I don't have a good recommendation otherwise. If you want to spend some more money, you could go the TrueRTA route and get a measurement mic, mic pre-amp and software to do fairly extensive measurements - that would run about $150.

Gregisme
01-18-2004, 09:40 AM
uhh, no.

I'll stick with the cheaper kind, with or without inaccuracies!

Thanks for the reply.. I'll get one of those Radio Shack versions, eventually.

Quinn
01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Anyone have the correction link? I've printed out before but wasn't smart enough to put in my sound meter box and can't find it now..

curtis
01-20-2004, 12:55 AM
http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/rsmeter.html

-curtis

Gregisme
01-20-2004, 02:17 AM
doing my best Montgomery Burns impression..

excellent!