PDA

View Full Version : Benefit to placing weight on CBM-170s?

Jonnyozero3
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Well, a couple of months ago I listened to a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GR-10 bookshelves at my friend's brother's place. When we sat down to do our "critical" listening (heh), he placed a pair of weights ontop of the speakers.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about doing this. Is there much of a benefit in reducing cabinet resonance or something (???) when you add 10 or 20lbs of weight ontop of a CBM-170? Can it hurt anything? I remember seeing something about doing this with a SVS PB10-ISD to improve spectral decay or something, but that was awhile ago and only one review.

Any thoughts? :confused:

BradJudy
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Assuming you take care not to physically damage the speakers, I don't think it would hurt the sound quality at all. You'll have to be your own judge on whether it actually helps. I haven't tried it myself. I'm not sure if I trust my stands if I made them even more top-heavy. Someday I'll build/buy some more solid stands. :)

Jonnyozero3
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Damn. I put a pair of 10lb dumbell weights (using 3m adhesive rubber bump-dots for protection) on the left and right speakers, and I thought I heard a subtle difference -- maybe less of a sound like what the echo inside a guitar sounds like, if that makes any sense. But, I can convince myself of anything, so therefore I'm not convinced. Ironic huh? :)

I was hoping someone had done some studies and measurements with spectral decay or something, so I knew if I was going to be wasting my time trying to hear a difference. It seems to make sense to me, that all things equal, if one speaker has more weight on it than another, it would take more energy to vibrate the cabinet. So, therefore there should be some benefit. Whether or not it is audible, I don't know.

Hmmm.

Mag_Neato
11-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I've got my son on top of one 170 and my daughter on the other.......inside of picture frames, of course :D My wifes way of blending them into the bookcases they flank. I don't notice any improvement, other than the visual aspect of having my beautiful children to look at! :rolleyes:

bikeman
11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
My dear wife often puts things on top of "our" 340's. I try to explain in an even tone that that's not a good idea but it dosen't seem to phase her. She goes right back to putin stuff on top the speaker. It definitely dosen't have a good effect on me so I don't hold out much hope for improving the speaker either. :(

David

Lou-the-dog
11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
My dear wife often puts things on top of "our" 340's. I try to explain in an even tone that that's not a good idea but it dosen't seem to phase her. She goes right back to putin stuff on top the speaker. It definitely dosen't have a good effect on me so I don't hold out much hope for improving the speaker either. :(

David

The culprit is that dang-blamed flat area on top of the speaker. It just screamin' for someone to put something on it! It's DaveF's fault for designing in that flat spot to begin with!

Randy

davef
11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Well.....

I have remote controls on top of one my 340s, and "Justice League" superheroes on the other ( I believe Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, my son's favorite this week). My wife's workout videos are on top of the center channel (she can keep them anywhere she likes as long as she uses them :p )

BradJudy
11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I forgot to mention that I weigh mine down with moose. :D

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/rack_front.JPG

Jonnyozero3
11-04-2005, 05:53 AM
I see that I'm being boring by trying weights :)

Quinn
11-04-2005, 08:18 AM
I forgot to mention that I weigh mine down with moose. :D

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/rack_front.JPG

I certainly hope those moose are filled with cryoed shot and not poly-fill.

Micro-Bearing (http://www.audiopoints.com/micro.html) may be an even better filling for your application though.

dae3dae3
11-04-2005, 12:42 PM
How about a cat?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/dae3dae3/DSC04553Small.jpg

Lou-the-dog
11-04-2005, 06:30 PM
How about a cat?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/dae3dae3/DSC04553Small.jpg

Yes, I believe the cat "speaker weight" does hold alot of promise. That big pile of fur certainly should absorb unwanted resonances like a sponge. My only concern is that the tail is probably partially blocking the port. I'd suggest a slight repositioning of the cat to remedy this problem.

Randy

dae3dae3
11-05-2005, 07:32 AM
The other problem is that when I turn up the volume she freaks out and runs under the bed. :p

Lou-the-dog
11-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Despite the minor drawbacks, (cat running off, tail blocking port etc) I believe that the "Cat Speaker Weight" will truly be a significant advancement in home audio. DaveF should add this product to his accessories line-up.

Randy

Ahem, Dave please consider me as a supplier for your high quality "cat weights". Last count (out at the farm) was 29. :eek: Price is (very)negotiable.

Randy

Jonnyozero3
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Man you guys crack me up.

I just hope the Cat Weights don't leave Accessory Mini-Weights Behind when they move off the speaker :eek:

Seriously, I bet Mr. Fiddles, the way cats are, can figure that you may love the speakers more than him, and then try to...erm...make the speakers less desirable. Then he'd look at you with that look that says, "What?"