PDA

View Full Version : I survived my first ultramarathon :-)

tjennings
10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Just participated in Erie's "Presque Isle Personal Endurance Classic"... a non-competitive 12 hour endurance event (6:30 AM - 6:30 PM). I managed to last 8.25 hours and 41 miles... might have been able to go a few miles farther, but I was getting pretty pooped, plus I thought I was missing the WVU / Louisville game on TV (our cable operator didn't show it, although I understand ESPN did broadcast elsewhere), so I packed it in. The 'winner' went for 72 miles.

I hope to hit 55 or 60 miles at next year's event now that I have experienced one and I've gotten the bug for it! I started out too fast this year, and will pace myself better next year for the full 12 hours.

Has anyone tried one of these? It was GREAT, much more enjoyable than a regular race or marathon since it is non-competitive and you can walk / take a break whenever you want... especially since it was on a 1 mile loop course... you are never too far away from your car and food, drinks, rest rooms, a change of shoes & socks, etc. I'm not sure I would like to do one of these 50 or 100 mile trail events where you are out in the middle of nowhere, but these 'loop' course events are a blast - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT if you enjoy fitness / exercising / running.

Quinn
10-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I walked for an hour for the first time in years this week. :)

Lou-the-dog
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Congrats Tom! You're a brute for punishment! My legs hurt just thinking about running 41 miles let alone actually doing it!

Randy

tjennings
10-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks! And well, I COVERED 41 miles... certainly couldn't run the entire thing. That is the beauty of these loop endurance races, you run / walk as far as you can go... although I did "run" the first 11 or 12 miles. These things are all about pacing yourself over a 12 hour period (8 hours in my case). I'd say I did the next 15 miles or so by running 7/10th's of a mile and walking the 3/10th's uphill grade. Then it became more challenging / difficult... probably 10 miles or more of half mile run / half mile walk.

I was walking gingerly yesterday, but I'm back to walking normal today. :)

And Quinn, that is how I started out last (2004) summer... just walking. I had always been around 185 lbs, then I shot up to 200 lbs. That scared the heck out of me so I made a lifestyle change and started eating healthier, more often (roughly every 2 to 3 hours), and exercising more. Running, which I had always absolutely HATED melted the pounds off the fastest. I've been at 168 lbs now for about 6 months.

bikeman
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I can do 72 miles in less than 4 hours, go home drink beer and walk normal the next day. All it takes is two wheels and some water and a whole lotta carbos.
Got stress fractures on my knees from running in the military.
Two wheels. As you age, they will become two of your best friends. ;)
Congrats on your accomplishment and your goals. Wish I could.

David

curtis
10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
41 miles!!! Geez!! Congrats!

I am hoping to complete 50 games of tennis this Saturday to benefit breast cancer early detection. But that is no where near 41 miles worth of work.....and I know I will be sore the next day!

Quinn
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I've had a few medical issues, including bad knees, and surgeries in the last couple of years. I've replaced cycling with paddling a kayak.

tjennings
10-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I'd be in the hospital if I played 50 games of tennis - and what a great cause - kudos Curtis!

And 18 mph on a bike for 4 hours is MOVING, David! I did a few duathlons this past summer and didn't come close to that speed! Very very impressive.

curtis
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I'd be in the hospital if I played 50 games of tennis - and what a great cause - kudos Curtis!
You could do it easily. They say that three sets of tennis in the neighborhood of 5 miles of running...which I don't know if I believe. 3 sets of tennis is at least 18 games....so you should be able to pull off around 140 games. :)

metalaaron
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
that's awesome tj.

i need to get back into an exercise routine. i used to hit the gym 5 days a week until i absolutely burnt myself out. i'm considering a bike now. the hills in this town would probably put me back in shape really fast. must_get_back_in_shape.

tjennings
12-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Have you started back up excercising metalaaron? 5 days a week... sounds like you were in great shape! Kudos. I never want to have to start over... pure agony the first few months... so unless injury puts me out of commission, I plan on keeping it going. I keep entering races to keep me going / motivated.

I do a lot of cross-training to keep from burning out... running, biking, Nordic Track cross-country ski machine, weight lifting via a Total Gym and a Soloflex, basketball... guess that is my usual suspects. :)

bikeman
12-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Nordic Track cross-country ski machine, Total Gym and a :)
A Nodic Track in Erie is sorta like coals to Newcastle, No?:rolleyes:
I use a rowing machine in winter to go with the cross country skiing and heavy beer intake. Eleven more feet of snow and this winter is history. :D

David

Lou-the-dog
12-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Here in the Midwest heavy beer drinking is considered hard core aerobic excersize... no need for all those fancy-shmancy resistance machines. Yessirr we figure one can get in shape easily...12 ounces at a time!

Randy