PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball to the NBA

metalaaron
10-17-2005, 10:23 AM
espn's pre-season top25 coverage began lastweek, and i simply can not wait for the season to start!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/index

now, what's on my mind...
it seems each year you see college players stay less and less. i just wish the players would graduate, or even go into college for that matter. i believe it's hurting the college basketball programs, sets a poor example, and puts poor role models in our professional sports. does anyone else think that the allure of the nba is hurting the strength, moral example, and quality of college programs?

bikeman
10-17-2005, 11:28 AM
does anyone else think that the allure of the nba is hurting the strength, moral example, and quality of college programs?
I believe it has helped the "moral example and quality" of college programs. The few players who have jumped to the NBA early would not have been actual students at the schools they would have been employed by in the first place. Early NBA entry has hurt some of the athletic factories that don't have any real academic requirements for their employees but at the schools that graduate their student athletes, it has had no impact.
I disagree with the NCAA on the criteria used to compile graduation rates but the overall patern at each school is glaringly obvious. The NCAA is trying to change the way athletic factories conduct themselves but I don't hold out much hope. They'll just find a better way to skirt the rules. Follow the money. It'll always lead to the truth.

David

curtis
10-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Other than an education, nothing much else is offered to the college athlete, yet in some programs these athletes bring a lot of money to the school. Yes, some get better living conditions and other benefits, but obviously, for the top athletes that can make millions, that isn't going to keep them around.

For those athletes that are using the college level as a stepping stone to the professional level, most are not there for the education, it just a benefit. After making the jump to the pros, they can always get their education later if it is important to them.

I once had a lengthy conversation with a University of North Carolina fundraiser employee on the subject. Her answer was to pay the top athletes. I don't think that is the answer either.

In my opinion, the professional leagues (ie. NBA) need to impose higher age limits for players...but I don't think that is going to happen.

By the way, I played tennis for a NCAA div II school and a non-scholarship league...true student athletes. To me, it adds another dimension seeing struggling students battle it out.

Quinn
10-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I lived on the floor in my dorm with the football team at in east coast JuCo known for getting grades up back in the 80. Plenty of money coming in from other schools but nothing huge more like $50 so they could go out.

I think a stipend is the way to go. Nothing huge. Figure out what a pizza and cokes, movies for two, and maybe a couple coffees cost and give them that twice a month. It is just crazy they can't get any money at all.

bikeman
10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
I think a stipend is the way to go. Nothing huge. Figure out what a pizza and cokes, movies for two, and maybe a couple coffees cost and give them that twice a month. It is just crazy they can't get any money at all.
Some of our players are worth millions. Once we start paying them any amount, there will be no end to it. There are legal issues at work as well. I'm all for paying them a living wage if that would solve anything but it won't. Our society is not geared that way.

David

metalaaron
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
i see where you're coming from david. what bothers me is the players who do not appreciate or take advantage of the opportunity to earn a college education for free as well as the early departures. there are many players who don't make it to the professional level, and find that they have wasted their time in college when their scholarship is over.

i hear colorado students get good benefits. ;) we (UTC) are very proud of the former student athlete TO. ;)

here's some good news for the nba - http://www.nba.com/news/player_dress_code_051017.html
we won't have to view nba bone thugs n' harmony press conferences any longer. ;)

Quinn
10-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Some of our players are worth millions. Once we start paying them any amount, there will be no end to it. There are legal issues at work as well. I'm all for paying them a living wage if that would solve anything but it won't. Our society is not geared that way.

David

That is why I say a flat rate stipend to all scholarship athletes so the individual's "worth" is taken out of it.