PDA

View Full Version : Help!! My Axiom M22 w/ HK AVR-7200 is TOO BRIGHT

curtis
11-21-2003, 03:30 PM
I can attest that the Ascends are not as bright(can also be called detailed) as the M22.

Some comparisons are here:
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13

-curtis

sc300t
11-25-2003, 02:13 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for the input. I read all about speakers recommendation and comparison in this forum.

I tried my receiver with my old PSB 300, and it sounded sweet. Again, I listen in pure stereo mode with all the surround mode disabled and bass treble balance in the middle. I dont mind having my psb as my main, but this thing is too old. Cant find any matching center and surround speakers.

I did not give up just yet. I brought my M22ti to my buddy. He has B&K 6x200w reference amp and B&K reference 30 pre/pro connected to NHT M6. He also happened to be CEDIA certified professional home theater installer. I audition the M6, and they are awesome although a bit bright for me. Then, we disconnected the M6, and tried out the M22ti. Again, we had everything in pure stereo mode with no coloration. Guess what? The M22ti is still too bright.

The reason why I bought M22ti;
1. Detail
2. Forward Sounding
3. Very Good Imaging

But when I audition the M6, the M22ti:
1. Detail but Too Bright
2. M22ti are very forward speakers.
3. Imaging is not that good. Seemed like I was using a center channel, but I wasnt. Sounded a little mixed up. With the M6, I can hear stuff coming from left or right easily without any problem.

More stuff about M6:
1. Very Good and Very Tight Bass (Not a fair comparison to M22ti)
2. Sounded like a tower. (BTW, he also has NHT 2.5i tower)

M6 specs:
System Type 3-way acoustic suspension design.
Driver Complement (2) 6.5" woofers, 4" mid-range, " metal dome tweeter
Magnetically Shielded Yes
Frequency Response 61Hz - 30kHz. +/- 3dB
Crossover Frequency 400Hz, 2.3kHz
Sensitivity 86dB (2.83V at 1M)
Impedance 6 ohms nominal
Inputs 5-way binding posts
Recommended Amplifier Power 50W/ch minimum, 250W/ch maximum
Dimensions 8.25"W x 20"H x 10.25"D
Weight 36lbs each

Curtis,
Have you compared the CMT-340 to NHT M6. I know that M6 cost more money, but I can get great deal of discount.

curtis
11-25-2003, 02:24 AM
Nope...I have not heard the M6.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Imaging is not that good. Seemed like I was using a center channel, but I wasnt. Sounded a little mixed up. With the M6, I can hear stuff coming from left or right easily without any problem.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is the opposite of what I understand imaging to be. If something is playing in the center....it should sound like it.

-curtis

ez-v
11-26-2003, 02:28 AM
You always have to take professional reviews with a grain of salt, but here is Howard Ferstler's (of "The Sensible Sound") take on how the Ascend CBM-170s sound compares to that of the NHT M6. You can extrapolate that to get an idea of how the CMT-340s might compare given the similarity in signature between the 170s and the 340s.

http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Reviews/TSSascendreprint.pdf

Victor

sc300t
11-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Wow Thanks.

Very good review. I think I will give the ascend CMT-340 L/R/C a shot after thanksgiving. Thanks again.