PDA

View Full Version : Surround speaker placement

sygyzy
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi,

I have a pair of 170 surrounds sitting to the left and right of my sofa on two end tables that are too short. I explored getting really tall stands for them but the setup of my living room makes that not a very viable solution. In the meantime, I have them on the end tables.

The small height of the table, coupled with the high arm rests of the sofa, means that much of the 170 grills are blocked. Initially, I had the speakers pointing in toward the listener. When I ran my HK AVR-635's AutoEQ, it came out with pretty accurate numbers. That is, the distance and delays seemed fairly even and made "sense. That is, they were about 4.5'.

I decided to change it after seeing a different setup chart. This time, I turned them 90 degrees so they were facing toward my television. When I ran AutoEQ, it came out with really funny numbers. This is strange because I'd expect this setup to be better since the grills were not blocked at all.

I guess according to Dolby, surrounds should be facing in toward you. But like I said, 80% of the speaker is blocked by the side of the sofa.

Anyway, I them facing forward but heavily adjusted the AutoEQ settings to numbers that made more "sense" to me. I feel uncomfortable doing so since I think the receiver is accounting for things I cannot see, like room acoustics.

So what's the recommendation? Keep them facing foward, or in toward the user (and blocked). I am still working on a solution to get them elevated. It's proving quite difficult.

Lee Bailey
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Why not just build a couple of small stands for your 170s that will let them stay on the tables? You could even just try some simple 2X4's built into a square the size of your speaker, or use some of those rarely looked at encyclopedia volumes you are your parents may have sitting around.