PDA

View Full Version : waaay OT: let's go astros!!!

gr1m
10-09-2005, 10:42 PM

bikeman
10-10-2005, 04:04 AM
I root for whose ever playing the Evil Empire. If the "Stros" meet the Yanks in the Series, go Astros!

David

curtis
10-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Go Angels!!!

My eyes will be on the TV tonight!

mattepntr
10-10-2005, 04:35 PM
What is it.....some kinda sports thing???:confused:

bikeman
10-11-2005, 04:06 AM
I root for whose ever playing the Evil Empire. If the "Stros" meet the Yanks in the Series, go Astros!
The Angels are now my favorite team. :D

David

curtis
10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
The Angels are now my favorite team. :D

David

YEAH! Go Angels!!

I missed the first two innings....didn't know the game started so early. A lot of fun watching the game in HD and 5.1 sound. Even more fun when they win.

metalaaron
10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
red sox man myself, but i'd like to see the Angels win the world series.

espn will have to change emphasis of sports now that their precious yankees are gone. ;)

Quinn
10-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Lets go ..... Astros!!!!!!

Best record in all of baseball since the beginning of June.

curtis
10-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Best record in all of baseball since the beginning of June.
It means nothing now! :)

An Astros/Angels series would be fun.

Mag_Neato
10-12-2005, 06:19 AM
As long as the White Sox don't get in I'm happy! :D

gr1m
10-12-2005, 09:22 PM
very controversial, especially if sox wins a close series 4-3. what was questionable and vague was whether the plate ump called it a strike 3 only and/or the batter out....

intriguing, intriguing. at least halos get to rest for a day.

pettite was battling a throat virus and got hit with a ball during batting practice, yea yea excuses excuses. now we gotta steal one in St Lou and go oin from there, let's go astros!!

curtis
10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
his hand motion, I thought, indicated an "out" call. Even then, the catcher did not pick the ball off the ground...he fielded it clean.

My question is, didn't one of the other 5 umpires on the field see it? At least one of the infield umps.

You are right, at least the Angels get a rest/travel day.

BGHD
10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
It was bogus. Huge difference b/w being 2-0 vs 1-1. I bet Molina probably would've finished the play though. But, who knows, in extra innings, may have ended-up the same way too. Hey, more baseball in HD for us to watch.

curtis
10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I guess I have to research this more....

The ball did hit the ground, but the catcher fielded it clean. What is the rule on a ball being in play after a third strike swing? The ball hitting the ground at any time or hitting the ground because the catcher did not field it clean?

Mag_Neato
10-13-2005, 04:56 AM
I saw the replay on the morning news......looked like an out at the plate. Sox caught a break (at home, go figure!).

If the batter swings and the ball hits the ground, even if the catcher catches it cleanly, the batter can run forcing the catcher to either tag the batter out at the plate or throw to first if he takes off.

Quinn
10-13-2005, 06:15 AM
pettite was battling a throat virus and got hit with a ball during batting practice, yea yea excuses excuses. now we gotta steal one in St Lou and go oin from there, let's go astros!!

Pettite was sent home from Sunday's game do to nausea and blurred vision. He came back to the park when he knew Clemens was the only pitcher left in the bullpen. So much for the media hype of Clemens being the last pitcher availible.

BGHD
10-13-2005, 10:18 PM
his hand motion, I thought, indicated an "out" call. Even then, the catcher did not pick the ball off the ground...he fielded it clean.

My question is, didn't one of the other 5 umpires on the field see it? At least one of the infield umps.

You are right, at least the Angels get a rest/travel day.
Apparently, according to the rule, even if the ump calls the batter 'out', the batter can run to first if the ball hits the dirt. But, earlier (same game?), on a similar 3rd strike call, the ump waited for the catcher to tag the batter before calling him out. Either way, the third stringer (Josh Paul) sorta blew it. Even Jason Phillips (Dodgers backup catcher) agreed. Oh well.

metalaaron
10-14-2005, 07:45 AM
i remember when michael jordan had the flu and scored almost 50 points in a playoff game. too bad he couldn't play baseball. ;)

i'm not as up-to-date on baseball as i used to be, but if i remember correctly the home plate umpire has rank over all other infield umpires. you will notice that in baseball umpires do not conference like football or basketball refs do.

i'd like to see a clip of this controversial call.

lei@forum
10-14-2005, 09:51 AM
For on thing, the catcher should have tagged if there's even the slightest doubt... but I do agree that the home plate umpire's gesture suggested out.
I'm not of fan of either team, so I kind of liked the resulted tie - well,
I always favor more competition as opposed to a one-sided result. But the
way got to this is really ugly, I don't quite understand why MLB cannot
introduce instant replay into the ball game...

metalaaron
10-14-2005, 10:27 AM
i think it would be acceptable to have 2 reviews (like timeouts) in your back pocket; one before the 8th inning, and one after.

it was my experience in baseball that foul tips, bunts, drops, etc. centered around home plate always take a brief moment of silence from officiating because they are verifying several things before the cadence. as a player you should always go through the motions. always. many times you'll see catchers tag even though they don't have to tag. rest assured the coaches covered this extensively during the next team meeting, and the next one. oh well, they'll live to play another game. :)

bikeman
10-14-2005, 10:43 AM
many times you'll see catchers tag even though they don't have to tag.
We had a really good altercation many years ago when their batter took offense to being tagged out by our catcher after a third strike. The next inning, their pitcher threw at our catcher's head and we took offense to that. Ah, to be young and immortal once again.
Anyone remember Don Drysdale? If you took first base on a third strike with Don, you'd be taking first base on your next at bat as well. Baseball isn't the contact sport it used to be. Maybe that's for the better.

David

Quinn
10-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Lets Go .................... Astros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!