PDA

View Full Version : Fiona Apple, Ben Folds Five, and Kate Earl

curtis
10-08-2005, 11:45 PM
So with the new job, and the kids' school year starting, I have not had much time to enjoy listening to music on my Ascends this past month.

So this evening I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a few CDs and to just listen to music this evening. Barnes & Noble is great because you can hear pieces of every track before you buy the CD.

Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" is her first CD in a long time I think. I was not a big Fiona fan before, but I like this CD and I think Fiona fans will too. The sound is more mature now.

Ben Folds Five "Whatever and Ever Amen" - I have always seemed to like their stuff, but never had any of their CDs. Recently, I got Ben Fold's solo release "Songs for Silverman" so when I was at Barnes & Noble, I came across "Whatever and Ever Amen". I really like Ben Folds' piano work....like a new Billy Joel.

Kate Earl "Fate is the Hunter" - Because my commute to work is much longer now, I now have a bigger iPod and have it integrated into my car audio system.....and I listen to podcasts on the way home from work. One of the podcasts I listen to is KCRW's Mornings become Eclectic, a radio show that features live in studio music from emerging artists from all genres. Kate Earl was featured on one, and I really liked it, so I seeked out the CD. Great voice...like she could sing jazz very well. I read her described as a cross between Joni Mitchell and later Fiona Apple. Interesting, some of the members of Incubus worked with her on this album.

A great listening session on my system and Ascends!

bikeman
10-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Kate Earl was featured on one, and I really liked it, so I seeked out the CD. Great voice...like she could sing jazz very well. I read her described as a cross between Joni Mitchell and later Fiona Apple. Interesting, some of the member of Incubus worked with her on this album.
A great listening session on my system and Ascends!

http://www.kateearl.com/
Just listened to a few of her cuts on her website. Thanks for the tip. I'd like to hear something live.
I'm listening through my new HTM 200's. In a small room they do a nice a job. I think a sub like an STF-1 would be an excellent compliment to these speakers where space is at a premium. I'm moving them into the home theatre as surrounds this afternoon.

David

BradJudy
10-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Cool. I was curious about the new Fiona Apple - I've been a fan of her past work.

I picked up a copy of Madeleine Peroux's 'Careless Love' yesterday as part of the Borders 2 for $22 CD sale. It's a great disc if you like the sound of Billie Holiday.

The Border's sale has a lot of great discs from classics like Dark Side of the Moon to modern stuff like Coldplay (unfortunately I already owned a lot of the ones of interest) and I'm going to listen to some clips online for more CDs that sounded interesting. I wish Borders had the B&N thing where you can listen to any CD by just scanning the bar code.

See this for CD titles in the sale - http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=music

bikeman
10-09-2005, 08:57 AM
The Border's sale has a lot of great discs from classics like Dark Side of the Moon to modern stuff like Coldplay (unfortunately I already owned a lot of the ones of interest) and I'm going to listen to some clips online for more CDs that sounded interesting. I wish Borders had the B&N thing where you can listen to any CD by just scanning the bar code.
See this for CD titles in the sale - http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=music

I picked-up two CD's at the Border's 2/$22. sale a few weeks ago.

Bill Evans Trio: Wlatz for Debby
This was the last recording with bassist Scott LaFaro before he died in 1961. Excellent classical jazz. If you listen to this one, don't think your Ascends have warranty problems. They used the original analog tapes and didn't doctor some of the "ambiance (i.e. hiss, distortion & dropouts)." I like it when they don't mess with the original too much.

Weather Report: Black Market
A must have for Weather Report fans. Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorius. Great fusion jazz.

David

Beelzebud
10-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Curtis,

Make sure you check out the Ben Folds Five, self-titled first release and his solo stuff on "Rockin' the Suburbs"... more great piano work from Mr. Folds. My Ascends (340 Mains, 340 Center, CBM 170 surrounds) are scheduled to ship in 2 weeks and Ben will be tops on my list of "cd's I can't wait to hear on Ascends...". Great live show if you ever get the chance! I think he has a DVD due out this fall from a performance with the Western Australia Symphony Orchestra. I haven't seen any recording specs, but it should be a good one.

Bud

curtis
10-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Bud...thanks for the tips!