PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your media?

metalaaron
09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
CDs, DVDs, DVD-As, SACDs, itunes, etc. etc. ... what sites and/or stores do you use?

thanks in advance :)

Kurt C.
09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I get most of my DVDs from Netflix. There aren't very many movies that I love SO much that I can't wait the day or two it takes to 'retrieve it from my collection' at Netflix. The only DVDs I own are: Avia, Video Essentials, the DTS demo disk and a couple of others I use for reference.

CDs get bought, downloaded to my harddrive in a lossless format, and given/thrown away. If I find that I need a physical copy of the CD, I just burn it again.

BradJudy
09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
I also buy few DVDs - those I do buy I tend to get the first week they are released and on sale. Often I just pick them up at Target.

CDs come from a few different places. Those that are available via BMG I get there when they have a good sale (this often costs around $6/CD including shipping). Since the BMG selection is limited, I pick up the rest either from local stores during sales (like first week of release), from online places like Amazon, or (more frequently recently) from the artist's website. I like ordering from the artists themselves and sometimes you can do things like have them autograph them (for lesser known artists/groups).

curtis
09-19-2005, 03:36 PM
My buying habits are inline with Brads.

Just bought the latest Lilo & Stitch for the kids are Target. I get rentals from Blockbuster online and the store.

CDs come mostly from BMG and Columbia during sales/promotions. I also hit the local Barnes & Noble once in a while.

I recently ordered a disc directly from an artist, Tristan Prettyman, who I saw featured on HDNETs' True Music.

Lou-the-dog
09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm always scrounging thru the racks at Walmart and Target. I really like going to Barnes and Noble because I can listen to some tracks from each CD there. They have the best selection around here but the highest prices too. DVD rentals come from the local convenience store.

Randy

metalaaron
09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
i'm very picky about DVDs as well. i'm an amazon.com guy myself. it appears you guys are pretty happy with music clubs such as BMG and columbia so i may try one of those next. thanks for the replies. :)

mattepntr
09-19-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm an Amazon guy myself. In fact, I just stocked up for Halloween!
"Phantasm", both "Texas Chainsaw"'s, "They", "Fatal Attraction",
"Roseanne, the complete first season", and the scariest of all, "Who's
Afraid of Virginia Wolff?".

BradJudy
09-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Metalaaron,

If you contact an existing member of BMG or Columbia (like Curtis or myself), we can probably get you an intro deal better than the regular one. I generally split the 'finder's fee' free CDs with friends that join by my referral.

bikeman
09-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Most of my CD listening I get from the local library (very good jazz selection) or from Borders with 30% off coupons.
DVD's I get from Netflix, the library or my sister-in-law. I do own several music DVD's but no movies.

David

metalaaron
09-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Metalaaron,

If you contact an existing member of BMG or Columbia (like Curtis or myself), we can probably get you an intro deal better than the regular one. I generally split the 'finder's fee' free CDs with friends that join by my referral.

i may take you up on this brad. thanks!

Abhi
09-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Have you guys tried yourmusic.com?

curtis
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
FYI....Columbia has closed its doors and converted members to BMG.

s2pdname
09-24-2005, 07:40 AM
We usually use deepdiscountdvd.com and deepdiscountcd.com. At least 2 or 3 times per year they offer 20% off and/or buy 2 get 1 free sales.

My wife is a much larger movie buff than I, and she just recently ordered 30 dvd's for $210 delivered. We figured it works out to about $7 per disk.