PDA

View Full Version : Another center channel mounting option

jschlarb
09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Disclaimer: doing this WILL void your center channel warranty, and can be dangerous! Proceed at your own risk.

I liked David's center channel mounting idea a lot, but when I tried it the speaker protruded far too much from my in-wall TV. Since I could only post two pictures, I chose the ones that show how I did it.

First, I bolted the mounting bracket from the BACK of the wall. I mounted mine upside down because I was too lazy to cut a large hole in the header, and I was a little concerned about the effect it would have structurally.

Next, I put the mounting plate on according to the instructions, but again, upside-down. Then I sat down for 30 minutes, trying to think of the best way to get the center speaker up there. I decided to mount it using 4 bolts, with hex nuts on the inside of the speaker. This involved clamping the speaker to the stand temporarily with 4 wood clamps, drilling the holes, removing the speaker drivers, an installing the bolts. It's very sturdy with just the 4 bolts holding it on; I'm not worried about it falling. I did however have to take a leap of faith that my speaker would outlive its warranty.

The end result looks very professional from the ground, and the mount disappears when you're watching a movie. The angle is perfect, and there's a healthy 4" gap between the port and the wall. If your stud/header situation is different than mine, you may be able to mount it right side up and save yourself a lot of trouble. The bottom line is that this mounting method moves the speaker about 6" closer to the wall.

Hope this helps someone (like David's post helped me)!

- John

jschlarb
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
A few more pictures...

jschlarb
09-08-2005, 07:46 PM
last two...

Lou-the-dog
09-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Cool...just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Are you sure that adding the T-nuts really voids the warranty?

Randy

jschlarb
09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Lou wrote...

>> Are you sure that adding the T-nuts really voids the warranty?

Hmm...I assume that drilling holes in the speaker voids its warranty. It's a small gamble, not much chance of me blowing these out at my listening levels.