PDA

View Full Version : Tripath news

Quinn
09-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Tripath Blasts the Audio Industry With Advancement in Integration, Performance and Cost
Tuesday September 6, 3:00 am ET

Architecture Breakthrough Sets a New Standard in Performance and Cost of Digital Amplifiers

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 6, 2005--Tripath Technology Inc. (Nasdaq:TRPH - News), creators of Class-T ® digital audio amplifiers and Digital Power Processing (DPP®), today announced the availability of a new architecture platform for digital amplifiers which is expected to extend Tripath's leadership position in the digital amplifier market, keeping Tripath ahead of its competition.

Code-named Trivici, this architecture is the culmination of more than five years of multi-disciplinary research and development effort aimed at bringing previously unachievable levels of integration to power amplifiers.

Modern audio amplifiers can be broken into four distinct blocks: a digital processor, a mixed signal processor, a power driver and an output power stage. The first is the digital processor that interprets incoming digital information from a source such as a CD or MP3 decoder. The information is then fed to the second block, the mixed signal processor. This block converts the signal into an analog signal and conditions it for amplification. The third block, called a power driver, further conditions the signal for power amplification. The final block, called the output stage, provides the power amplification necessary to drive a speaker with the signal.

For many years integrating these blocks into a single chip has been described as the "holy grail" for companies that produce power ICs. Prior to our architecture breakthrough, there were two significant impediments to its realization. The first is the underlying manufacturing IC processes used to realize each of the above mentioned blocks were fundamentally different. Second, the technical difficulties caused by electrical noise inherent in the power section interacting with the precision circuitry in the analog block. Until now, this integration appeared to be impossible.

Tripath's patented Class-T architecture is uniquely designed to be less susceptible to noise. Furthermore, the use of sophisticated design and process technology techniques in the power stage allow for an integration of the power with the mixed signal processor. The process technology used is more widely available than those which are used in Tripath's current products. This is expected to yield economies of scale that translate into lower manufacturing costs in the future.

"We pioneered the use of digital amplifiers in the consumer audio market place about ten years ago," said Dr. Adya S. Tripathi, Chairman, President and CEO of Tripath. He added, "We have since continued to invest in research and development efforts to advance our technology. The Trivici breakthrough is evidence of our commitment to continued innovation. Ultimately the consumer will benefit from this innovation by getting superior quality audio performance at more affordable price points."

Tripath expects to introduce products based on this platform during the March quarter of 2006. The first device in the Trivici based family is aimed at the burgeoning flat panel display market. This market has historically valued Class-T amplifier performance. The technology will allow flat panel display manufacturers to continue their adoption and deployment of Class-T based amplifiers across their product offerings, while addressing their need for lower cost devices.

In addition, Tripath expects to launch a full line of products covering power levels ranging from less than 10W up to 50W or more. These products are expected to start sampling in the first half of calendar 2006 and are targeted to meet the requirements of a broad range of applications in consumer electronics in addition to flat panel display televisions, such as home theatres, mini systems and docking stations, portable electronics and communications applications. Tripath intends to extend the innovative Trivici platform to be an enabler for many new opportunities over a wide range of products such as industrial automation, computing and communication applications. Trivici is expected to open completely new markets for the application of Class-T technology.

About Tripath Technology

Based in San Jose, Calif., Tripath Technology Inc. is a fabless semiconductor company that focuses on providing highly efficient power amplification to the digital media consumer electronics and communications markets. Tripath owns the patented technology called Digital Power Processing (DPP®), which leverages modern advances in digital signal processing and power processing. Tripath markets audio amplifiers with DPP® under the brand name Class-T®. Tripath's current customers include, but are not limited to, companies such as Alcatel, Alpine, Hitachi, JVC, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony and Toshiba. For more information on Tripath please visit Tripath's web site at www.tripath.com.

Safe Harbor Statement

Certain statements in this release concerning Tripath's leadership position in the digital amplifier market, the prospective benefits of the Trivici architecture, when and if Tripath will launch new products and the benefits there from contain forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Actual results could differ materially. The risks and uncertainties include many factors, such as silicon wafer pricing and the availability of foundry and assembly capacity and raw materials, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies that would affect sales and pricing of our products. We may experience fluctuations in the manufacturing yields of our third-party semiconductor foundries and other problems or delays in the fabrication, assembly, testing or delivery of our products. We may not be able to specify, develop or acquire, complete, introduce, market and transition to volume production new products and technologies in a timely manner. Further information regarding these and other risks and uncertainties is included in the Company's United States Securities and Exchange Commission filings, particularly our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2005 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 9, 2005.

Tripath Technology Inc.
Jeffrey L. Garon, 408-750-6801

Source: Tripath Technology Inc.

sensibull
09-08-2005, 04:12 AM
I wonder if this new digital platform is what AV123 plans to use in the mini integrated amp (http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=20820&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10) they have in the works.

Perhaps BradJudy can elighten us?

BradJudy
09-08-2005, 05:44 AM
It sounds interesting - I like the very effecient and inexpensive amps that have come out of Tripath and other companies.

sensibull - No, I don't think so. Mark specifically said it wasn't a Tripath in that thread. Someone on the AV123 forum had done some searching and found a chip from TI (I think) that fit the original specs. Since Mark just noted in that thread that he's looking at a more powerful chip, I have no idea what it's based on at all.

sensibull
09-08-2005, 06:42 AM
sensibull - No, I don't think so. Mark specifically said it wasn't a Tripath in that thread.

OK, thanks. I thought maybe this new "Trivinci" platform Tripath is developing might be substantially different enough than the old "Tripath" to distinguish the two but after reading the above-quoted article more closely it sounds like just an upgrade.

Question is... will AV123's chip deliver the same kind of cost/performance wallop that made the t-amp such a darling of high-end iconoclasts... I was actually looking forward to getting a Sonic Impact and tinkering with it, but given the state of my soldering skills, maybe I should just wait for AV123 or Tripath's new offerings..

Quinn
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
It sounds interesting - I like the very effecient and inexpensive amps that have come out of Tripath and other companies.

sensibull - No, I don't think so. Mark specifically said it wasn't a Tripath in that thread. Someone on the AV123 forum had done some searching and found a chip from TI (I think) that fit the original specs. Since Mark just noted in that thread that he's looking at a more powerful chip, I have no idea what it's based on at all.

Curtis do you happen remember which chip company Mark was at in Austin in the days before the Austin GTG?

BradJudy
09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Curtis do you happen remember which chip company Mark was at in Austin in the days before the Austin GTG?

Hmmm...a chip company in Texas? I can think of one possibility. :)

Quinn
09-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Hmmm...a chip company in Texas? I can think of one possibility. :)

Cirrus is coming to mind over AMD or TI. Do SEMATECH or Samsung make those kinds of chips? But he may have been working on Emotiva chips and not X chips.

curtis
09-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Quinn, didn't he mention something about TI at the GTG you and I went to in Austin last year?

BradJudy
09-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Here's the link to the chip that someone on the AV123 forum linked to as a possibility http://www.apogeeddx.com/ApogeeDDX.pdf

It matched the initial specs for the X-empower, but if the specs are changing as Mark noted on AudioCircle, who knows what it is.

Lou-the-dog
09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I always thought "Tripath" described circuit architecture for digital amplification. While it might indeed do that it appears that the name actually originates from the founder, Adya Tripathi. Cool fun fact. Thanks Quinn.

Randy