PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality - DVDs vs CDs/VideoCassette

YeliRaj
08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Just purchased the following system - Denon AVR3805 + HSU VTF 3 MK2 + 340M, 340C, 170sur 5.1 speaker system.

Connected all components. Did not calibrate the system yet. Did not change any factory settings on Receiver and Sub either.

I notice a large difference in the sound quality when playing a DVD vs a CD or video cassette. I am using the DVD player to play an audio CD as well.

Specifically, when playing a DVD, the over all sound output is low, and not much of an output at all from the sub, and the center speaker . Turning up the receiver volume doesn't help much. I was watching the Lord Of the Rings Part I opening sequence and could not hear the clanking sounds of the swords clashing and people speaking very well.

However, the output from the CD or video casette are remarkably better off. CD - Richard Clayderman's Piano compositions. Video Cassette - Lion King Part 2.

The DVD based output is much worse than from a $300 Phillips Magnavox mini system I had earlier.

I know that I haven't fine tuned the system yet. But, given the experience described above, am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks
YeliRaj

khoi911
08-30-2005, 09:02 PM
YeliRaj,

It sounds like the audio is fine in stereo but when in when not (i.e. movies/dolby digital) you are not getting all the sound. You need to configure the 3805. You may just have all the speakers set to off.

Khoi

metalaaron
08-30-2005, 11:22 PM
what dvd player is hooked up to the 3805, and is it hooked up w/ a digital cable or analog cables?

what surround mode displays on the display of the 3805 when playing a dvd?

i would go through pages 31-43 of the manual w/ remote in hand. :)

YeliRaj
08-31-2005, 06:03 AM
I am using a SONY DVD player which I bought in 2001. I also tried with another DVD player - a $20 AMW player I bought in 2003. Same problem.

I am using the red, white and yellow cables to connect the audio and video outputs of the DVD to the receiver.

Additionally, I connected the DVD outputs to the VCR and then used the VCR as the source for the receiver. Same problem....

The receiver displays Dolby DTS regardless of whether I am playing a DVD or CD.

I will re-visit the receiver manual later tonight and get back.

Thanks for your help,

YeliRaj

chas
08-31-2005, 10:46 AM
I am using the red, white and yellow cables to connect the audio and video outputs of the DVD to the receiver.

This is a big part of the problem. To get a 5.1 or 6.1 Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack to your receiver you need to run either a digital coax cable or optical digital cable from the digital audio out on the DVD player to the digital input of the receiver (instead of the red and white analog cables). You will also need to make sure the DVD player is set-up to send a bitstream (or raw) digital audio signal to the receiver (not PCM). This is usually found in the DVD player's set-up menu.

metalaaron
08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
make sure the inputs are set to Auto on the 3805. you can easily change this by pressing the Mode button on the front panel until Auto is displayed. i'm going to guess that your's is set on DTS, since it always displays DTS.

you should pick up a digital coax cable or optical cable depending on what your dvd player can use. what is the model of the sony player you have? we could look it up and let you know which cable to pick up in order to get a digital signal from your dvd player to your receiver. :)

YeliRaj
09-01-2005, 07:28 AM
I bought a didgital coax cable to connect the DVD output to the receiver and the sound is much much better now - the whole house was literally shaking!

Thank you all for your inputs.

YeliRaj

metalaaron
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
OK, your's has a dig coax. good deal! enjoy. :cool:

do you plan on hooking the magnavox mini system back up? :p

BGHD
09-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I suspect, calibrating the system will make a difference too. Just run the autosetup to get the system rolling, then you can tweak later. Receivers aren't good straight out of the box.

Kurt C.
09-07-2005, 06:05 AM
I am using the red, white and yellow cables to connect the audio and video outputs of the DVD to the receiver.This is slightly off topic, but the 'yellow cable' is a composite video cable.

If your TV has inputs that allow you to connect the DVD player with S-video or component video cables, you should use them instead. You will see a significant improvement in picture quality.

If you tell us the exact model name/number of the Sony DVD player and TV that you are using, the group may be able to offer some additional hints.

For example:

One of the great features of your new 3805 is that it can up-convert composite (yellow) and s-video to the much higher quality of component video. This will allow you to hook all of your source components (DVD, VCR etc.) to the receiver. Depending on which TV you have, you may then be able to run a single component video cable from the receiver to the TV. This will make it possible for you to view the best possible picture from all sources.