PDA

View Full Version : Recommended settings for 340+170+VTF-2 MK 2 and HK AVR-635

sygyzy
08-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I am getting conflicting advice on how to setup this speaker combination with the 635.

Before I ran EasySet, I configured it as follows:

All speakers set to small
Subwoofer set to 10 inches, on
Crossover in receiver used, VTF-2 MK 2 set to "out"
All speaker crossovers set to 80hz and LFE set to 80hz too

When I run the auto eq, it sets all speakers to large with 40hz crossovers for the speakers and 100-120hz (not sure if I remembered correctly) for the sub.

I know I can edit things but I am not sure what they should be. I read, on this forum, that the LFE should be set the same as the main speakers (80) but Dolby's 'standard' for LFE explosions is 120hz and that is exactly what is stated in the manual as well.

So what's the story?

BGHD
08-23-2005, 08:24 PM
How does it sound when you use EasySet in "Manual" mode (where you can set the xovers) and set them all to 80 xover? The EZSetEQ on my 435 seems to do curious things to my settings too, though it's not too off from the Ascend recommendations.

L/R 80 small
C 40 large
Surr 80 small
Back 120 small
LFE 120

It sounds good to my ears. But, I haven't been able to try the EZSet "Manual" mode to set them all to 80 as you mentioned too, so am curious how yours turns out. Please let me know.

sensibull
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
FWIW, I have a very similar setup (635 with 340 l/r/c, different sub) and got the same results as you when running EZset on automatic. I can only assume the HK doesn't expect a "small" speaker to go down to 50hz. Just run it in manual, with the settings BGHD mentioned (you can play with having the center go lower, as his does, or match them all at 80 for more seemless panning) and see how it sounds. Then run EQ and compare the two. I'm constantly waffling over whether I like it better with EQ or not...

sygyzy
08-24-2005, 03:37 PM
That's part of the problem. What exactly are Ascend's OFFICIAL recommendations? I cannot figure it out.

I will run it in manual as suggested and put 80's all around. It's curious that BGHD got 40 for the center. Why?

LFE is also a confusing point. Many say 80 to match the mains but Dolby is supposed to be 120. I've heard 100 too.

The EQ has different level tweaks too. Like my left speaker is not the same volume as my right. Though they "should be spaced evenly, as far as I can tell. Should I tweak it to force them to be equal?

Also, I am confused as to why they call it EQ. Can you actually see what was tweaked? When I think of EQ, I think of tweaking the spectrum of sound. Like Bass + 3, Treble -1, etc. How can you actually see how the EQ has been tweaked by the system?

BGHD
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm constantly waffling over whether I like it better with EQ or not...

It's easy to set EQ to "ON/OFF" on the fly. For me, of course YMMV, everything sounds fuller and bass just sounds tighter with the EQ "On".

The EQ has different level tweaks too. Like my left speaker is not the same volume as my right. Though they "should be spaced evenly, as far as I can tell. Should I tweak it to force them to be equal?

Also, I am confused as to why they call it EQ. Can you actually see what was tweaked? When I think of EQ, I think of tweaking the spectrum of sound. Like Bass + 3, Treble -1, etc. How can you actually see how the EQ has been tweaked by the system?
Probably not good to 'force' them to be equal. There could be other factors aside from distance involved (e.g. reflections and what not), so get an SPL meter if you don't trust the EZSet, before you do that.

Apparently, there's no way to "see" all the EQ's settings as you can with the Denon 985 I tried. Unless you know how to adjust them, it's not necessary IMO. AFAIK, the TI chip does a lot more than just treble and bass adjustment, so you have to trust it to some extent. But, you can use the "EZSet Adjust" to to change the amount of tilt (high frequency boost) when you have the EQ "On".

Szygy, I'd call Dave F about what/where to set all the crossovers. Since they sell the HKs, he's probably familiar with the quirks in the EZSetEQ. Let us know what he tells you. I will guess, 80 across the board, but possibly 100 for the surrounds (esp if have the htm200s).

Also, is the 120 xover setting you mention for the sub, a dolby or THX recommendation?

sensibull
08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm certainly no maven, but I'll take a stab at a few of these...

It's curious that BGHD got 40 for the center. Why??

I believe that part of what the EQ is trying to do is tweak the front soundstage for intelligibility/imaging of dialog/vocals. From what I understand, a deeper center can help do that if the room calls for it.

LFE is also a confusing point. Many say 80 to match the mains but Dolby is supposed to be 120. I've heard 100 too.

All sub/speaker integration is different, even if you have the same models, because all rooms are different. You'll need to experiment to see what works best with your setup. 80 might work better for music, 120 for movies.

Trim levels are different on my left/right as well. Maybe my couch isn't perfectly centered. Definitely the wall to the right of my left main is contributing. I'd take a few readings, see if the result repeats. If so, probably a reason.

You can't. You're thinking of a graphic equalizer, which has pre-set, broadly spaced frequencies and bandwidths. The HK uses a parametric EQ, which can zero in much tighter on given frequencies and boost/cut with variable bandwidths. The BFD everybody is always talking about using on their subs does the same thing (only a little simpler, and only at the lower frequencies).

Hope that helps somewhat...