PDA

View Full Version : Home theater set-up options

Ben_Wood
11-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Pete,
What will be the music/movie %? If you listen to a lot of music I would recommend going with the 170s for your surrounds, if HT is the focus I think the 200s would be fine.Since you are going 6.1 you might consider a 200 for the rear because of it's wider soundfield.

pcleworth
11-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. The room is more home theater oriented since it's in my basement and has now windows. That being said, it's also the room with the best audio equipment and environment for discriminating listening.

However, to answer your question regarding percentages I would say that it will be used 70% for home theater and 30% for listening to music.

Also, I was thinking of getting the Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1-channel Digital A/V Receiver and the Denon DVD-1600 Progressive Scan DVD player. Do you think I'm on the right track with this other equipment and will it match up well with the Acend speakers?

curtis
11-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Pete,

I'm with Ben on his suggestions. If you want the best sound, get the 170's for surrounds.

The Outlaw 1050 is a nice receiver, but it is also now outdated. It does not have Dolby Prologic II for instance. A lot of good receivers out there for $500.

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-09-2003, 05:58 AM
Pete,
The Denon DVD-1600 is very highly regarded, but discontinued. Unless you already have one, it might be difficult getting your hands on one of these jewels. Curtis is right about the 1050, there are many worthwhile receivers out there with the newest features. Let us know what you decide on!

pcleworth
11-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Guys,

If I were to put CBM-170's all around except for the rear center surround speaker where I would have an HTM-200 would I be giving up much? I guess the real question here is how much content comes from the rear center surround speaker? Would a 170 be a big improvement over a 200?

Also, what DVD players and receivers do you like in the $500 (each) range. As for the Outlaw 1050, I was drawn to it's bank vault like heft/feel.

curtis
11-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Pete,

How big is your room? Unless the room is large, the rear center is not that big of a deal. The two side surrounds create a phantom rear center. Also, there really is not much stuff encoded to take advantage of that rear center.

What kind of TV do you have? If it is something that can not take advantage of the high picture quality that some of the DVD players are capable of, then I would get the Pioneer 563a for $180. I would then put more money into a receiver and look at the new HK 430 or 630.

A higher quality universal player would be the Denon 2200. I think Ben has this one. I think it is around $400. And then look for a good deal on an HK 325 or 525. I like the Marantz 4300 and 5300 as well at that price range. NAD's are nice too, but not sure you can get them at that price. All kinds of receivers at that price...tough to play with them all.

-curtis

pcleworth
11-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Curtis,

The room is 15' long x 13' wide with a 7' ceiling. The rear projection television that I'm leaning towards is the Pioneer SD-643HD3 which has a 64" diagonal screen. What do you think?

Also, while I'm wired for a 6.1 set up, I could just do a 5.1 system instead with CBM-170s all around and a CMT-340c center speaker. What about that?

Ben_Wood
11-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Pete,
You could try a 5.1 system first and see if it is suitable. with Ascend's "extender" program you can buy parts of a system as your budget allows and complete your set up in 45 day increments and still qualify for the "package price discount" - check the website for details or email David F. (he's extremely good to work with). I've enjoyed my Denon DVD-2200 so far and recommend it for someone wanting a mid-priced universal player (although it's price is $599.99)!

Ben_Wood
11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Pete, what sub are you considering? I'd suggest a Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3. Curtis is a brave soul running the potent VTF-3 so close to a major faultline! [:D]

curtis
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
LOL!! Distiguishing the VTF-3 and an earthquake can be tough. [:)]

Pete, in that size of room, I think 5.1 will be fine. I just watched "Finding Nemo" with the kids last night...and beforehand ran the THX test that is part of the movie, when it tested the center rears, which I do not have, and used the surrounds to create the "phantom" center rear effect, it sounded great....like there were really some back there.

Ben...I didn't realize the DVD-2200 was that much. I guess I'm sticking to my cheap Pioneer 563a...what I do not know won't hurt me.

-curtis

J.A.P
11-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Curtis, I also ran the THX test on NEMO. The sub didn't fire when it was suppsoed to, the sub seemed to work fine during the movie though. Do you think there is problem? This goes out to anyone who can help. Thanks in advanced.

BradJudy
11-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Curtis - how did you like the fishtank tapping scene (chapter 25) in Nemo with that VTF-3? It's a fun demo scene.

curtis
11-10-2003, 11:48 PM
J.A.P.,

At first I thought same thing with the THX test...but then I turned the volume up and heard the sub fine. Remember, lower freqs are not as easy to hear.

Brad,

Chapter 25 was funny. I had read the tapping scene was chapter 25, so when after I ran the THX test, I went right to it. Ofcourse the tapping starts right away.....caught me off guard....WOW! (good thing the kids were in their room at the time)

-curtis

pcleworth
11-12-2003, 01:02 AM
All,

Regarding the Sub, I'd get the Hsu VTF-2 which seems sufficient for my space.

I'll follow up with David F. and look into Ascend's "extender" program. If I go that route then I would get the CMT-340c center speaker along with four CBM-170s and the Hsu VTF-2. If necessary, I'd upgrade to a 6.1 system with the addition of an HTM-200 for the center rear surround.

Also, since the Denon DVD-1600 was discontinued I'll explore their DVD-2200.

Lastly, what do you like in $500-$750 price range for receivers?

curtis
11-12-2003, 03:13 AM
Well....I like my Harman/Kardon. I have heard great things about NAD and the Pioneer Elites(The ones with MCACC). The entry level Marantz I had was nice.

Others love Denon and Onkyo.

That should be enough to get you started. [:)]

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Curtis is right, at the price point you're considering HK, Denon, Onkyo, and others all make very nice receivers. There are many worthy receivers out there and there are quite a few that you would be totally satisfied with owning. Pete, the Ascend/Hsu lineup that you mentioned is the one I have and I'm very pleased with it. The Denon DVD-2200 is a very capable player (I take it that a universal player is important to you) and I have not regreted buying it at all. Looks like you will have one awesome sounding system. Keep us posted!

mattepntr
11-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Costco.com still has that great deal on the HK525 receiver
for $650.00.

Nice receiver at a nicer price!
Rick

pcleworth
11-13-2003, 05:46 AM
All,

I live in Seattle and would love to listen to an Ascend Acoustics home theater set-up. Is there anyone out there in the greater Seattle area who would be willing to demo their system for me?

Thanks in advance. Pete.

MRose
11-13-2003, 06:32 AM
Pete,

I'm in Portland and end up in Seattle on a somewhat regular basis. Let me know if you cant get a better offer, and maybe I can bring a pair of cbm-170's up with me the next time I'm traveling to your end of the northwest.

-Michael

curtis
11-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Wow Michael....very nice offer.

I know there is a guy in Seattle with a very nice Ascend set-up hooked up to a Sherbourn amp and pre/pro, I can not find his posts now. I will keep trying.

Update: I found him and sent him a PM.

-curtis

MRose
11-13-2003, 12:48 PM
They're just little black boxes, not that tough to pack in the car. Beats the heck out of cleaning my house and worrying about my 2 year old boy and golden retriever attacking an unsuspecting audio enthusiast.

-Michael

mattepntr
11-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Your two-year old son attacks audio enthusiasts?

[:)]

Rick

pcleworth
11-13-2003, 03:34 PM
All,

Michael, thank you for the generous offer. Please let me know when you will be up this way so that I can set some time aside to meet.

Curtis, thank you as well and please let me know what you find out.

Regards, Pete.

MRose
11-13-2003, 10:47 PM
> Your two-year old son attacks audio enthusiasts?

My two year old is indescriminate in his attacks. I've even seen him attack inanimate objects with much gusto. I keep him away from my speakers, and some house guests.

Ben_Wood
11-14-2003, 06:19 AM
[:D] I know a lot of wives who would like to attack audio enthusiasts! [:D]

MRose
11-14-2003, 07:02 AM
By the way, Pete, if you are still looking for a reciever, the Denon 3803 is available for $650 shipped: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316148
Certainly bears consideration if your budget permits.

pcleworth
11-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up on the Denon 3803 receiver. Unfortunately, now I'm having a hard time picking one. Here's my list. Ideas, thoughts? After this decision, I'll move onto the DVD player and then a universal remote. Thinking of the MX-800 for a RC. Pete.

Denon 3803
Harman/Kardon 525
Marantz SR7200
Yamaha RX-V3000
Integra DTR-5.4

Bighitter
11-15-2003, 01:22 AM
I love my HK 525 and recommend it to anyone looking for a good mid-fi range reciever. The MX-800 is really a damn fine remote. I will be picking one up soon for our new theater and then I can move the MX-500 to the bedroom.

Ben_Wood
11-15-2003, 04:32 AM
Pete, the 6th Ave deal on a Denon 3803 for $650 shipped sounds like an awesome deal IMHO!

pcleworth
11-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Guys,

OK, I think I'm set on the receiver front. Now it's time for the DVD player.

I'm leaning towards the Denon DVD-2200 but if I could find the DVD-1600 should I buy it instead and save a few bucks? I ask because I'm buying three DVD players (home theater, bedroom, and family room) so it can add up. Or, should I just step up to the 2200?

Also, at what point would the Universal Remote MX-800 make sense? When you have at least 2, 3, 4, or even 5 pieces of equipment? I ask because I would think that it's kind of overkill for an application where only a TV and a DVD player exist. However, for a home theater set up where several individual remotes reside, I would guess that it's pretty easy to justify and warrant. What do you think?

Lastly, I have questions regarding the Monster Cable PowerCenter equipment. I'm trying to decide between their HTS models. There's the 3600, the 3500, the 2600, the 2500, and they all have 10 power outlets. Your ideas and thoughts here would be appreciated as well.

Almost done. Thanks for the help so far.

Pete.

curtis
11-15-2003, 08:52 AM
I am not sold on Monster Powercenter equipment...I think money is better spent on stuff from Tripp-lite or Panamax. Do you live in an area with bad/dirty power?

I have an MX-500 controlling four pieces of equipment....Hughes DirecTiVo, HK AVR525, Pioneer 563a universal player, and my Mitsubishi TV. It is MORE than adequate.

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Pete, I can readily recommend the Denon DVD-2200 IF you are looking for a universal player. If SACD and DVD-A compatability aren't important you could look for a refurbished 1600 (which does has DVD-A).

curtis
11-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Ben...you are making me feel bad that I just have the 563a. [:D]

-curtis

pcleworth
11-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Curtis,

The powerlines in my neighborhood are all underground so outages are few and far between. As for how "clean" it is, I don't know. However, in my 15+ years here, I've never had or heard of a piece of electronic equipment failing because of "dirty" power. That being said, I'm just being very careful these days because city budgets are getting slashed and I will have invested quite a bit of money into my A/V system. Therefore, I consider the Monster PowerCenter an insurance policy which may never be exercised but will perhaps loow me to sleep better at night. Who knows...

curtis
11-15-2003, 10:21 AM
Then I would definitely spend my money with Tripp-lite or Panamax. Monster does not publish specs on their stuff.

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Sorry Curtis, I was very seriously considering the Pioneer myself, I just didn't want a silver player! [:D]