PDA

View Full Version : 7.1 surround sound question

tinytool
08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I have about 2000 to spend on 7.1 minus the sub. I was looking into getting all 340's for it. Is this a good idea or should I get the smaller ones for the back and sides? This is mainly going to be used fo Theater but also some music.

Another question I have is do they sell just one 340m stand for the center speaker like I see on the home page, I notice you can only buy them in pairs, is the center stand special in terms of wiring?

If I do decide to go with 340's around the entire room do they have wall mounts for the side ones?

by the way my room is 25X16X8, I'll be sitting 14ft from the Plasma. Also if it makes a difference I'll be using the SVC plus 2 for the sub.

Thanks guys look forward to your response
d

curtis
08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Your room is about the same size as my Parents......they have a 12ft ceiling. I set them up for 5.1, 340's in front, 170's for surrounds. It is working out great.

If you can put 340's into the proper locations, that is even better...definitely nothing wrong with it.

tinytool
08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
The room is a prefect rectangle with the door in the rear, it also has 2 window on one of the sides, It has the room I'm just wondering if getting 340's all around will hinder the theater sound

curtis
08-03-2005, 09:48 PM
No way do I think it would hinder the sound.

I just responded to you on AVS. The 340's are pretty big to be wall mounted.

tinytool
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
The room is a prefect rectangle with the door in the rear, it also has 2 window on one of the sides, It has the room I'm just wondering if getting 340's all around will hinder the theater sound

so I take it they don't make a wall mount, what about the center mount like the one they have on the home page (5.1 set up)

curtis
08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
you mean the stand?

Yeah...if you can put 7 of them in your room on the custom stand, that would work nicely.

tinytool
08-03-2005, 10:03 PM
you mean the stand?

Yeah...if you can put 7 of them in your room on the custom stand, that would work nicely.

When i looked at the stands that they offer I dont see one for the center 340, they seem to only sell them in pairs, I'm not sure if the 340m stand is diffreent from the 340c stand (if they make one). Sorry if that confusing it's getting late,

thanks though I appreciate your help

tinytool
08-03-2005, 10:04 PM
also another thing is I have 2 little ones that Like to run around and knock thing over so I would prefer to have the souround off the floor unless the stands weigh a bunch which they probably don't

curtis
08-03-2005, 11:02 PM
The stands can be filled with sand, which can make them weigh in excess of 50lbs each. The speakers are attached to the stand via plate of MDF board, making them very difficult to knock over.

Lou-the-dog
08-04-2005, 04:39 AM
The 340 center can be mounted like this (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=939). I believe Ascend has these in stock. Give them a call. I suppose you could also use these for mounting the 340's as surrounds too but I believe the 340's perform best upright...another question for DaveF.

Randy

Nicholas Mosher
08-04-2005, 05:47 AM
I say either go for seven 340's or seven 170s. Even though they're voice matched, they inevitably will have sound differences.

That sure doesn't leave you much for a receiver and source though...

I would get seven 170's, and Outlaw Audio's new Model 1070 AVR (soon to be released).

Seven 170's with shipping would be $1,038. The new 1070 is expected to debut at "under a thousand". Add the SVS PB12-Plus/2 (as you mentioned), and you have the exact setup I'm currently recommending friends/family who are looking to build a killer bang for the buck setup.

Next you have to replace that Plasma with a Projector and 120" screen. ;)

Mag_Neato
08-04-2005, 06:21 AM
The Outlaw 1070 will debut for $899.....not sure about shipping. When I bought my 1050, the price had dropped from $599 to $499 and shipping was about $50 through DHL. The unit weighs about 36lbs., and the 1070 is somewhere around 40. I'll second Nicholas' 1070 recomendation. I'd say you could get away with 6 170's and a 340c if a horizontal center better suits your layout. There shouldn't be any noticable difference. I'm running 170's for the mains with an older B&W 600 center and have no problems. I'd like to get a 340c just to have the same breed accross the front ;)

tinytool
08-04-2005, 09:41 AM
I already have a Denon 3805 reciever, I think I'm probably going with the 340's Fronts and center, and the 170's surround and back.

I was thinking projector but because the way my wall is set up, (built in shelf about 4ft up from wall to wall) I just decided on getting a 50" 500u panny.

If I were to buy a 3rd party stand for the front and center which one would you suggest, I notice a lot of people prefer the stand to be a little taller than the ones ascend have 24" vs. 30". How do the speaker mount on third party stands does it just sit there or do you have to actually drill into the box and does that hurt the sound of the speaker?

Thanks appreciate the help

bikeman
08-04-2005, 12:42 PM
If I were to buy a 3rd party stand for the front and center which one would you suggest, I notice a lot of people prefer the stand to be a little taller than the ones ascend have 24" vs. 30". How do the speaker mount on third party stands does it just sit there or do you have to actually drill into the box and does that hurt the sound of the speaker?
Thanks appreciate the help

I've experimented quite a bit with speaker height with the 340's. The Ascend stands are that height for a reason. I have gone as high as 28" without noticing any difference when compared to the 24" height. Going higher appeared to be a waste of time (to me). I'm reasonably tall (6'3") and sit higher up than most folks in my perferred listening position so if there was going to be an audible advantage to a higher stand, I should be a good candidate to have found it. I didn't. I can appreciate going with a different stand for aesthetic reasons but not for acoustics.

David