PDA

View Full Version : How to set up 170 surrounds on a stand?

sygyzy
08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Ordering Ascends tomorrow.

Now here is the complicated final part of my setup. I need my rears to be ear level plus 2-3' from what I've read. I have a sofa that faces the display. I also have two end tables on each side. There is some space behind the sofa but not too much since that's where my dining table sits. The end tables are really short, like 17". So what is the best way for me to mount the speakers? If I place them on the end tables alone, half of the surrounds will be blocked by the arm rests of the sofa.

I can place them on stands and squeeze them between the sofa and end tables, which would place them closer to the rear corners of the sofa. That would be a floor stand and it'd have to be pretty secure to support the weight. The downside is that it's more susceptible to getting knocked over as people walk by.

Another solution would be to get small (short) stands that sit on top of the end tables. This could work since the end tables are pretty wide. They should have enough room for both the speaker (stands) plus one lamp on each table.

Also, the surrounds have mounts that can be used to secure them to wall mounting brackets. Do they make free standing (non wall mount) brackets that have the same hole configuration? That way I can get a speaker stand that securely attaches to the speakers. I don't feel comfortable just placing them on top of a stand.

Any help would be appreciated.

curtis
08-02-2005, 06:04 PM
in my Parents's setup, they are using stands like these for the surrounds. They seem to be working quite well and sturdy.

I think my Dad got them off of eBay.

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/VTI/BLE201/0PVI1050.htm

sygyzy
08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
And they don't fall over? How do they attach to the speakers?

curtis
08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
The speaker platform clamps on the the bottom of the speaker.

Not the most attractive...but they work.

MikeAndAnnie
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
I can place them on stands and squeeze them between the sofa and end tables, which would place them closer to the rear corners of the sofa. That would be a floor stand and it'd have to be pretty secure to support the weight. The downside is that it's more susceptible to getting knocked over as people walk by.

If they are between the sofa and end tables, what are the odds of someone knocking them over? Our sofa is against a wall, so the CBMs have the end table on one side, the sofa on the other, and the wall on another. Folks can't get to them to knock them down.

I use the same type of stand as Curtis' parents, and use blue tack to help secure the CBMs to the stand. If you go this way, I strongly suggest you also get some hose clamps to keep the upper rod of the stand in place -don't trust the set screws to do this! This works pretty good, but again, the stands are not near any traffic paths. Probably would do a wall mount in that case.
- Mike

Hose clamps:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=SuperFeatures2/Miscellaneous/PM_Affiliate_Landing_Page_2005&cm_ven=hd_goog&cm_cat=Search1&cm_pla=D-Brand&cm_ite=bid10130339-home_depot

sygyzy
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi MikeAndAnnie - Your link to HD didn't work. I suspect that they don't save searches across sessions. No problem. I know what hose clamps are. Can you remove them though?

I have attached an image so you can see wehat I am talking about regarding the speakers. They would not exactly be in between the end tables and the sofa. They'd be in a corner. Behind the sofa you have the dining area which people will need to get to in order to eat. Also there is a sliding glass door which allows access to the balcony.

Hmm looks like attachments do not work....
Click for image (http://www.sygyzy.com/images/room.gif)

BGHD
08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Can't wall mount L & R of the couch?

sygyzy
08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Are you asking me if I can wall mount the surrounds ONTO the sofa?

Or just wall mount in general? Wall mount is not an option.

jeh
10-11-2005, 04:24 AM
looks like you'll have to try those stands that were mentioned.

Kurt C.
10-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Now here is the complicated final part of my setup. I need my rears to be ear level plus 2-3' from what I've read.I've heard a variety of reasons for why surrounds are best placed 2-3' above ear level, but I'm wondering if this isn't outdated advice. It originated from Dolby Prologic and THX, where the prevailing logic held that it was the best way to make the rear channel sound diffuse and be hard to localize. Keep in mind that it was a single rear channel and was supposed to come from two dipole speakers.

Now we're talking about have two (or more) discreet surround channels coming from direct radiating Ascend speakers. I wonder if it isn't better to use the setup currently recommended for multichannel music ie with the L/R surrounds at ear level, to the side and slightly behind the listener. I read an informal test where most listeners preferred direct over dipoles in a 5.1 setup.

I think Nick Mosher does this. Any comments on how well it works for movies Nick?
here (http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/index1.html)

kibe
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
With the release of the 170SE's, will the stands Curtis mentioned be able to handle the extra weight? Otherwise I noticed that Racks and Stands has a heavier duty version, the VTI BLE101 http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-BLE101-VI1051.html which states it can hold up to 40lbs, but it doesn't have the clamps. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any other adjustable height stands out there that seem decent.....

Kevin

sygyzy
01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Even if I don't wall mount it 2-3 feet above ear leve, there is still a problem. My sofa blocks 80% of the speaker. It's almost worthless having the 170's. I need to be able to raise it up higher but the lamps on the end tables make this a problem. I can't get rid of the lamps because they provide lighting...

BGHD
01-08-2006, 07:57 AM
How about getting floor lamps instead, then just place 170s on small stands on the end tables. Otherwise, I'd vote for both of 'em on the end tables like you stated in the original post.