PDA

View Full Version : I finally bought an amp

curtis
11-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Ooops...typo....the 525 will be used as the pre/pro for the time being.

-curtis

smokey
11-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Exciting! What are the wattage figures for the ATI? How do they compare to the 525?

-Smokey.

Thanks, the Management.

Bighitter
11-07-2003, 12:48 AM
I believe the amp he has is 150x5. The 525 is 70x7 so it should be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes. I am also very interested in how you feel about this as I have the very similiar setup.

picasso
11-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Have fun with this Curtis. I think your bottom end will really shine with high current higher wattage power. Besides the enjoyment, SS amps like these are built like tanks and last a very long time. Enjoy the music!

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

curtis
11-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Paul,

You hit it on the nose. The bottom end of the speaker is now more prominent and tight, I thought that maybe it was playing deeper, but I think it is just playing bass with more authority. The rest of the spectrum is also cleaner/tighter, with a just a bit more treble. The speaker just seems more lively. I can not tell if the soundstage is any different, which might be due to the fact that my room is not huge. The imaging seems to be nicer, but that one is hard to tell. I thought they sounded great with just the HK 525, but now it is even better.

Yes, the thing is a tank, 73lbs.!! Lifting it into the rack was not easy. Think about it, the amp is only about 10lbs. lighter than my Hsu VTF-3 sub! My poor cheap Ikea rack was not made to handle the weight that is in it or on it.

I pretty much knew the bass would be different. I have had the CBM-170s and CMT-340s hooked up to more powerful amps at other folks places and have noticed the differences there. They have both been hooked up to 300watt Aragon monoblocks. And the CMT-340's have also been hooked up to a Rotel RMB-1075(120x5) and Consonance tube amp(I believe 30x2).

The next step is getting the speakers off of the actual bookshelf and on to stands. I should have the stands in a couple of weeks. After the holidays I will start looking into a pre/pro.

-curtis

picasso
11-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Are we having fun yet? I thought a new pre/pro would be my next purchase but Adelphia is promising HDTV soon, so my likely next investment is a HDTV. Thinking that the Samsung 42 DLP would look great in my living room. But at $3,500< I feel like it's $500 overpriced. Hopefully, by the time Adelphia is ready, the prices will come down ever so slightly. I'm glad your enjoying your new amp.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

curtis
11-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Paul,

I'm still waiting to read what you think of your CMT-340's!

-curtis