PDA

View Full Version : Is upconversion worth $100? Do I need it on my receiver?

sygyzy
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Decided on the following:

System 33-23 (340 mains + 340 center + 170 rears + VTF2) + 1pr TP24 stands

Now I am trying to figure out if I should spend $100 extra for the HK AVR-635 over the AVR-435. I have a two devices (DirecTV and ReplayTV) that are not component. They are either S-Video or RCA. There is no component for the DirecTV. I can use component for the ReplayTV if I choose, but why bother? I'd also like to be prepared for the future. Say someone brings a VHS tape and I need to hook up a VCR. I'd want to be able to do that.

However, I have both composite and s-video inputs on my plasma. Problem? I will have to switch the plasma display mode over plus the receiver mode. I know, just one button push. But sort of a pain.

So, how did you guys decide? Was upconversion worth the extra money? AFAIK, there are no other differences between the two versions.

BradJudy
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I can't say if it's worth $100 extra bucks, but I did want to point out that the 635 also has 10W/ch more of power than the 435.

Karp
08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Having upconversion does make switching sources much easier. You only have to press one button instead of changing both audio and video seperately. You will also probably save quite a bit in cables by having fewer connections, since only one will be needed to go to the TV or projector.

curtis
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
it is actually more cables to go to the receiver and then to the source.

If you go straight from source to TV....that is once set of cables per source.

If you go fro source to receiver to TV....that is one set of cables for each source to the receiver, and then one set of cables from the receiver to the TV.

The video purists will say to go source straight to the TV.

Lee Bailey
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm in agreement with Karp. I use my Denon 3803's upconversion feature. I feed everything into the TV via the component connection now.

BGHD
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Good universal remotes can make-up for any inconvenience with switching too. I use my receiver for audio only for now (optical ins), with video via HDMI. As, already mentioned, maybe the other things can make the extra $100 worth it too (e.g. extra power, OSD via component (I believe the 435 does not, etc). FWIW, I'm learning in AVS, "upconversion" may be a misnomer, with "video transcoding" being a more appropriate term. Apparently, only receivers with things like Faroudja chips (e.g. HK 7300) can truly upconvert the signal to higher resolutions.

Karp
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
it is actually more cables to go to the receiver and then to the source.

If you go straight from source to TV....that is once set of cables per source.

If you go fro source to receiver to TV....that is one set of cables for each source to the receiver, and then one set of cables from the receiver to the TV.

The video purists will say to go source straight to the TV.

True, you will have one more cable. Of course, I am saving money by having 4 short cables going to my receiver and one long component cable going to my TV. Also, changing sources on both my TV and receiver is a royal PITA. My Dennon has 100Mhz of bandwidth (which is overkill compaired to what an HD component connection requires) so I don't think I am loosing any picture quality. I did do a comparison and could not detect any differences.

sensibull
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
[Edit] Sorry... after reading this thread a little more closely, I realized my post didn't add anything of substance...

Lou-the-dog
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM
[Edit] Sorry... after reading this thread a little more closely, I realized my post didn't add anything of substance...

Gheez Sensibull...no need to apologize...my posts NEVER add anything of substance!! :D

Randy

Jonnyozero3
08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
The 635 also adds HDCD decoding and an extra 10 amps of high current power (40 to 50). I think most of the rest of the differences were covered earlier..

sensibull
08-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Gheez Sensibull...no need to apologize...my posts NEVER add anything of substance!! :D

Randy

Well, to be honest, the post I deleted was flat out wrong -- I thought the 435 lacked the EQ, and I thought it had fewer digital inputs. Then I did one of those "compare this product with another" jobbies on the HK site and I was amazed. With the exception of the 10W/ch, the receivers are essentially the same model. Yet their MSRP was $300 apart! Makes me glad my 635 came as a bonus upgrade for my bum 630.. (which had substantial differences with the 430). Though I guess if you need the simplified cabling, and the street difference is down to $100, those 10 extra watts might ward off the desire to upgrade to separates... Then again, probably not. Its such a slippery slope...

(There, ya happy Randy. No substance at all, but plenty of words ;-)

sygyzy
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
From what I understand, the 10W increase in power is very insignificant.

I am not sure what on screen display (OSD) issue is. If I get the 435 and connect it to the screen only with component, it won't be able to display any menus on screen?

Does that mean things like volume control won't work? That is, I won't be able to display the decibels on screen?

Lee Bailey
08-02-2005, 06:44 AM
If it is like the Denon, you won't get OSD if the SOURCE material is from a component attached device, such as a DVD player. What you miss is seeing what the volume level is on the screen. The setup menu still works though, at least on my 3803.

sygyzy
08-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Well I felt that it was worth the piece of mind to get the 635. It's an expensive problem, usually opting for the more expensive (and hopefully "better") item. I'll be keeping this for a while I think.

smiller
08-02-2005, 10:36 PM
I just had this conversation on Tuesday with the one of the Ascend folks.. I was cancelling a 435 because the User manual (downloaded from the H&K site) indicated that it did not do it, but the Ascend guy was reading off a product spec sheet that said it did.

I guess I'll know for sure when the reciever arrives later this week, but I wonder if any 435 owners out there may be able to clear up this confusion.

Steve Miller

sensibull
08-03-2005, 04:44 AM
None of the HK receivers do true "upconversion" which involves upscaling and an increase in resolution. What the 635 does is technically called "transcoding" which means it can take an s-video or composite input and output it as component, but there is no "upconversion" involved. The 435 does not do this, to the best of my knowledge and according to a quick read through the manual. Both models can consolidate your component outputs though, meaning that if you have a cable box, a dvd, and a HTPC with component outputs you can send them all to the 435, one to the TV, and have the AVR do the switching.

Hope that helps...

[EDIT: Correction, apparently the flagship H/K 7300 does do upconverting through its Faroudja processor. Refurbs on the 7300 are now going for <$1000.]

Lou-the-dog
08-03-2005, 05:01 AM
As Sensibull pointed out, use of the word "upconversion" as it relates to connectability is really a misnomer. I always envisioned a change in resolution but that is not the case. The word "transcoding" fits much better.

Randy

sygyzy
08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
I just had this conversation on Tuesday with the one of the Ascend folks.. I was cancelling a 435 because the User manual (downloaded from the H&K site) indicated that it did not do it, but the Ascend guy was reading off a product spec sheet that said it did.

I guess I'll know for sure when the reciever arrives later this week, but I wonder if any 435 owners out there may be able to clear up this confusion.

Steve Miller

Steve, there is no confusion here. The 435 aboslutely does not do transcoding. The 635 does.

In the end I decided to go for the 635.

Jonnyozero3
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Good choice Sygyzy, I bet you'll love it. I kinda wish I ponied up the extra $100 for the 635 now, but my 435 has been mostly well behaved and I enjoy the sound a lot so I won't complain.