PDA

View Full Version : OK ... Running home to greet UPS

khoi911
07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
340M, 340C and 170s are being delivered. :)

Khoi

bikeman
07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Brown can bring such joy and occasionally such annoyance. Let's root for the joy. Congrats.

David

khoi911
07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
I have some time to kill waiting for UPS so I will start my evaluation with some background info:

Powering my system is a NAD surround sound receiver model T761. This SSR is rated at 85 watts into 5 channels (continuously) and 116 watts into 2 channels (stereo) both in 8-ohms. My source is a sony DVP-NS400D player. Nothing special about this player. I hope to replace it with either the Denon 2910 or the new Denon 1920 as both of these players have SACD and DVD-audio capability.

Currently my surround speakers consist of the Klipsch Quintet Micro Theater. An online review can be found here >> http://gear.ign.com/articles/307/307120p1.html.

This system comes with a sub but 4 weeks ago I purchased a SVS 20-39PC+ and the SVS just simply blows away the Klipsch sub. I like the the Klipsch Quintet Micro Theater system but I think it is made for smaller to medium rooms. Overall it is an excellent starter system.

For music, I have an old pair of polks (bookshelf monitor system model 4.5) that I purchased in 1987 right before going off to college. I love these speakers. Great great mids and good highs. I am axious to see how the 340s will compare.

I will take pictures of all my speakers and compare and I will do this as soon as UPS shows up with my 340m, 340c and 170s. :)

BTW, I am selling the Klipsch Quintet Micro Theater system if anyone is interested. I am anal about my toys so these speakers do not have a single scratch on them. I have the original box and all paperwork so email me privately if you are interested.

Will post more when my ascends arrive.

curtis
07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
You didn't hear? UPS went on strike earlier today.

JohnnyCasaba
07-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I think you will like the Ascend/NAD combo, I have a T752 and have been very happy for over 2 years. Keep us posted, always exciting to get a new users perspective.

khoi911
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
You didn't hear? UPS went on strike earlier today.

Well UPS finally arrives and I was his last stop. Can someone tell me how to post photos to this site? I tried clicking "manage attachments" below but it never uploads my pics. What gives?

Ok ... Will be back later after I unpack them and hook them up.

Khoi

p.s. I just uploaded one photo of the box to my site >> http://www.eatpho.com/box1.jpg. Ok I have some work to do. Be back later. :)

mboy
07-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Enjoy. I am sure you will. I have had my 340m's for about a week now. EAGERLY awaiting UPS to come and drop off my new 340c on Monday.

The Ascend 340's are awesome. VERy happy with my purchase.

Too bad I have to wait until monday for the center, my SVS 16-46PC+ is arriving Friday :p

khoi911
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Enjoy. I am sure you will. I have had my 340m's for about a week now. EAGERLY awaiting UPS to come and drop off my new 340c on Monday.

The Ascend 340's are awesome. VERy happy with my purchase.

Too bad I have to wait until monday for the center, my SVS 16-46PC+ is arriving Friday :p

YOU WILL LOVE YOUR SVS SUB! Rent some movies and prepare yourself. Any LOTR movies will simply take on another dimension when played through SVS

mboy
07-27-2005, 04:09 PM
:D

Looking for BIG upgrade from my Dayton 10". Probably won't have time to BFD it this weekend, but will certainly calibrate (with PIO MCACC) over the weekend, then when I BFD it, tweak it with the SPL meter.

I am in an Apt, so this should pressurize the room nicely even tho the 16-46PC+ does not have the Sheer SPL of one of the smaller cylinders.
Can't wait, never heard/felt 13hz bass before -)

Incredibles DVD hear I come!

khoi911
07-27-2005, 09:21 PM
I think you will like the Ascend/NAD combo, I have a T752 and have been very happy for over 2 years. Keep us posted, always exciting to get a new users perspective.

So I finally got a chance to unbox the 340M, 340C and 170s. Here are some photos >> www.eatpho.com/stereo. The other speakers in the photos are my Klipsch and Polks. I just wanted to compare them side by side.

Anyway, all speakers were double boxed. I had a close call when I was removing the 340M from their box because the bottom of the inner box was not taped. So when I was lifting out the inner box, the 340 started to fall out but I caught it before it slammed onto my garage floor. I am sure this was an honest mistake during shipping so no worries. Dave can I have a free T-shirt or something? :)

The 340s are heavy. A lot heavier than I expected. All speakers seem well constructed and the bland black finish as described by others do not seem so bland to me. I like the looks of them.

Ok, I need to get away from the computer and listen to some music. The 340M are hooked up and 1st cd on the list is Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms. I will share my thoughts later. :)

Khoi

gr1m
07-27-2005, 09:24 PM
...and the bland black finished as described by others do not seem so bland to me. I like the looks of them

as i was wipin down my mits rptv and other nondescript furniture in the living room and the wife told me to wipe the ascends as well, i noticed that the material does not collect much dust if at all, i love it man

Eddie
07-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Brothers In Arms is a killer recording, which the Ascends will do wonderful things with.

Other good ones would be Annie Lennox's "Medusa" and Nora Jones' 1st album (though the cymbal brushes on "Come away with me" will be quite prominent on the 340s and possibly annoy the hell out of you like it did me).

khoi911
07-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Brothers In Arms is a killer recording, which the Ascends will do wonderful things with.

Other good ones would be Annie Lennox's "Medusa" and Nora Jones' 1st album (though the cymbal brushes on "Come away with me" will be quite prominent on the 340s and possibly annoy the hell out of you like it did me).

1st cd was Brothers In Arms and I immediately noticed how much bass the mids were putting out. It was astounding. My Nad receiver was set to small for the 340m so the cut off point was 100mhz. I swear I was hearing bass way below that coming from the 340m. At some point I will set the NAD to large and set the svs to off and see how much bass the 340m can reproduce.

The 2nd half of this cd contains songs that are quiet and at some point almost a whisper. The 340m did not disappoint. It reproduced the subtle horns and guitars with great accuracy.

Next cd was sarah mclachlan's afterglow. I love female volcalist as they have much more range than males. Sarah Mclachlan's music is very soft and subtle and the 340m did her justice.

I plan to play some hard rock and see if the 340s can keep up with fast pace music. I am sure it can.

I will report back later. :)

Khoi

curtis
07-28-2005, 08:38 AM
You didn't stay home today??

khoi911
07-28-2005, 08:47 AM
You didn't stay home today??

Actually I took next Monday and Tuesday off. :)

Tuesday is my birthday and the ascends were a present to myself. :)

Eddie
07-28-2005, 08:37 PM
khoi,

with many types of music you may be surprised at how much bass your NAD can get out of your 340s, I saw a huge difference when I added NAD separates in place of my Marantz 5400 for 2-channel music.

Also you can try running the L/R preouts from your receiver to the speaker level inputs of your sub and use the sub's internal crossover (set it on "Normal" instead of "LFE") instead of your receiver's crossover for a more smoothly blended bass. A guy on the ecoustics.com forum suggested this to me and I found it was indeed better for music listening.