PDA

View Full Version : Alessandro MS-1 Headphones

JohnnyCasaba
07-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I have done some research on headphones, and these seem to be a good fit for my application and budget. Will probably pull the trigger on them tomorrow, but was curious if anyone here has a pair. Thanks in advance.

BradJudy
07-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I used to have a pair of Grado SR-80s which are similar, but not the same. I really enjoyed them and when I don't have anything better to spend money on, I'll probably pick up a pair of 125/225s or MS-1s. They are really engaging headphones that are easy to drive. The comfort and style are kind of a personal thing, some people like it, some hate it.

JohnnyCasaba
07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply BradJudy. I thought you might chime in, was reading one of your posts on the AC board while researching. I ordered today, they told me I may have them by the weekend. They give a 7 day trial period, not long I know, but outside of the comfort issue some seem to have with Grado's, I could not find a bad thing said about them. I'll post my thoughts when I've had them for a few days, but I'm no headphone expert and these will be replacing a 10+ year old pair of Sony MDR-V200's.

JohnnyCasaba
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Well I had hoped I would have new headphones by now, but nothing has showed up, and a voice-message left with Allessandro on Monday was never returned. This seems "par for the course" from these guys from what I read at Head-Fi. So I decided to see if any local dealers carried the Grado Line.

Found a great place that had a nice little setup to demo phones with, Rega CDP, Grado amp, Grado lineup from the 60's up to the 325i, a few AKG's (K240S and K501) and Senn 555's too. I bypassed the 60's, but did audition the 80, 125, 225 and 325i. With the exception of the 225's (did not like these), I found the Grado's to sound similar with more refinement as you went up the ladder. I only had the Senn 555's on for about 10 seconds before I knew these were not for me, overly warm and bloated to me. The real surprise for me was the AKG K501's, I had never even considered these phones, but I think these may be for me! Refined sound, very neutral throughout with a great midrange, not as "in your face" as the Grado house sound. I am going to go back with some more discs just to make sure, but I think I may have found the phones for me. Just wish they had the Beyerdynamic DT880's too. More to come....