PDA

View Full Version : Dipole Surrounds with L/C/R 340's

millerwill
07-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I have 340's for the L/C/R speakers (Pio 1014 AVR), and for now use Infinity Primus 150's (4) for the two side-surrounds and two rears. I've been hearing much about the more diffuse surround sound one gets with dipole surrounds. (I do feel sometimes that the 150's are too localized in their surround role.) Are there any specific dipoles that people would recommend to go with the 340's?

curtis
07-23-2005, 07:28 PM
For reference...this is what I posted over on AVS to your same question:

Before you go with bipole, I'd suggest you compare the difference between them and direct radiating speakers. It is one of those things that boils down to taste.

More and more surround effects are localized and not just ambient.

In fact.....someone please tell me if I am wrong...but DVDs are mixed with direct radiating speakers all the way around.
Nothing more to add from that post. :)

mattepntr
07-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Just wanted to add that Dolby recommends direct radiating surrounds.

Dipoles aren't a good idea for MC music either.

millerwill
07-23-2005, 08:08 PM
But what about HT? Do you guys recommend direct (monopoles) also there? I have also heard it recommended that one might do better to use dipoles for the two rears and monopoles for the side-surrounds. Comments?

BradJudy
07-23-2005, 08:12 PM
While I haven't heard them, if I had to pick a multi-pole surround to go with Ascends, I would check out M&Ks. It looks like they make a tri-pole (this is how M&K handles surrounds) for $450/pr (and others at $1500/pr)

millerwill
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
That's pretty pricy for a pair of surround back!

mattepntr
07-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I just went back and reread some of Dolby's literature.
They're actually kind of non-commital about which kind of speakers
work best for surrounds, leaving it up to personal taste. Maybe it
was THX that, in the beginning, recommended dipoles as surrounds,
and later changed to direct radiating as their preference.

I do know that film sound mixers design modern soundtracks to
be very directional in the surround field, hence DD-EX and DTS-ES.
Have you calibrated all your speaker levels so they match? perhaps
your surrounds could just be playing too loud, giving them too much
presence? Just a thought:)

curtis
07-23-2005, 08:23 PM
But what about HT? Do you guys recommend direct (monopoles) also there? I have also heard it recommended that one might do better to use dipoles for the two rears and monopoles for the side-surrounds. Comments?
The Dolby recommedation is for HT. Before you decide on bi-poles, I suggest listening to them with a variety of material before deciding.

If I had to bo with bi-poles...I would use them as the side surrounds.

BradJudy
07-23-2005, 08:40 PM
That's pretty pricy for a pair of surround back!

Di/bi/tri-poles will tend to cost more than monopoles for the simple reason that they have twice as many drivers. This might be another reason to consider monopoles.

millerwill
07-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, I think it is THX that has recommended dipoles for surrounds. A very detailed 'jury trial' in 'Home Theater Mag' had the jury recommending (for HT) dipoles for the rears, and either dipoles or directs for the sides. And also 'yes' to one of the above comments: the surrounds are less 'directionly objectionable' if I am careful to have them level (and not 'hot') with respect to the other speakers.

Lee Bailey
07-24-2005, 06:43 AM
Look in your local movie theater. They all use direct speakers for their surrounds. Of course a house is different. I would think the direct sides with the dipole rears would be a good way to go.

mattepntr
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
There's an excellent discussion at AVS forum on this topic-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=568344

Rick

millerwill
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
After thinking about diipoles, bipoles, etc., for the surrounds to go with my L/C/R 340's (and SVS PB 10 sub), I decided to go with 2 pair of HTM-200's for the side-surrounds and rears--and I'm extemely pleased! Not only are they a significant improvement over the Inf Primus 150's I had in that role, but they are also quite a bit smaller (more WAF friendly!). Dave at Ascend was extremely helpful with advice on the matter (e.g., mounting them--had to be over door frames, therefore mounted them horizontally, with the tweeters down) and in making an attractive package. Ascend gets an A+ again in all regards!