PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for CD/DVD

smiller
07-22-2005, 10:00 PM
I am a relative newcomer to the "audiophile" world and just purchased a package from Ascend (340M/340C/VTF-2/AVR-635).

In conversations with folks who spend way more on this stuff that I ever will... I've been told that the CD source is probably more important than even the amp or reciever in the quallity of the sound. Things like maintaining clock, digital to analog conversion and preamps are cited as important aspects of a quality CD or DVD player.

I am curious what this group thinks about this... you seem to be a group that understands good value in audio equipment;
- What do you run for a CD Player
- Do you notice big differences between different makes or different price points?
- Do you use separate players to do audio and DVD?

Thanks in advance....

Steve Miller

mattepntr
07-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum!

I have an all-in-one universal player (Integra DPS 10.5).
I don't use the DAC's in the player, just run a digital connection
to my pre/pro (however the DAC's in the Integra are very very
good). I do use the DAC's for DVD-A and SACD.

On your list of things that make a big difference in SQ, I would
add THE ROOM. This is very important. A great set of speakers
and gear can sound like crud in a poorly set-up room (acoustically)
and low-end stuff can sound pretty good in a well set-up room.

I'm not a golden-eared audiophile type though, so YMMV;)

Eddie Horton
07-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I use separate players (Zenith DVB-318 for video and Pioneer DV-578-A for CD, DVD-A, and SACD) not because they sound different to me, but because I could get both of mine, which are well regarded by the bang-for-the-buck community, for less than the cost of a high-end universal player. I agree with the previous poster that room acoustics make the most difference, followed by speaker choices, amplification and source equipment, and lastly by cables and interconnects. It's just my opinion that most well made solid state electronics will sound more similar than different to other well made solid state electronics. The subtle improvements from ultra high-end processors, amps, and source equipment aren't enough for me to justify the cost. That being said, if I were made of money would I like to have a Lexicon processor with a stack of Krell amps? Maybe, maybe not. I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty early in the game when you start to climb the ladder of HT and especially 2-channel setups. YMMV.