PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it....

curtis
07-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I bought an air conditioner!

I was born and raised in Southern California....I did go to college in Northern California.

Everywhere I have lived, the only place I had air conditioning was the college dorm rooms...and even then, they hardly ever worked.

I have been fortunate enough, aside from some apartments in East Bay during my college years, that it only gets uncomfortably hot maybe only a couple of weeks out of the year. The rest of the time we just open the windows and get a nice ocean breeze.

Every year when it gets uncomfortably warm......and by that I mean I don't sleep well....I contemplate getting an air conditioner.

So today, I said "what the heck". I got a portable AC unit from Costco. I figure I'll use it 5-10 days a year...for as many years as I own it.

So far....it has been keeping the computer/work/game room nice and cool.

s2pdname
07-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Congratulations Curtis!

Are you going to provide a review after an ample amount of "break in" time?

Oh, and I'm very glad that you didn't say you "pulled the trigger" on the a/c unit.

Enjoy!! :D

Lou-the-dog
07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
It's a fact...Curtis is one "cool" dude!

Randy

mattepntr
07-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Congratulations! You'll have to let us know which calibration
disc you get for it:D

Y'know, it's funny. I was born and raised in SoCal too. We never
had A/C. But a year ago I moved to Phoenix, and my central A/C
runs 24/7 during the hottest parts of the year (all summer and
early fall). The outside temperature is TOXIC, so hot it's scary.
A/C isn't a luxury, it's a necessity. Having your A/C breakdown
in summer is an emergency. You learn to keep bottled water in
your car as a matter of survival (in case of car trouble) or if you
just find yourself getting dehydrated, which can happen quickly.
And it's normal, just part of life here in the desert. It's amazing
how quickly you get used to things.

On the upside, houses here are HELLA insulated, so bothering
the neighbors with your sound system isn't a problem:eek:

Rick

curtis
07-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Congratulations! On the upside, houses here are HELLA insulated, so bothering
the neighbors with your sound system isn't a problem:eek:

That is probably the biggest problem. I rent an old house....my ceiling IS the roof....the insulation is terrible.

Nice outside tonight....71 degrees....no breeze though.

Eddie Horton
07-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Here in central Alabama, it's also a matter of life and death. Literally. The humidity here is so high that sweating is no longer effective because the air is so saturated with water, that anything that comes out of your body will not evaporate into the air, so you can't cool down. I work outside all day and usually consume around a gallon of water in an 8 hour shift. It's murder. The temp today will be around 97. Factor in the humidity, and the heat index says it will feel like 111 today. I have a friend that moved here from Phoenix. The first thing he said about the heat was, "How the hell do you guys stand it here?" Not that Phoenix isn't hot, but at least you can sweat and get a miniscule amount of relief. Uber high temps or uber high humidity......it's just 2 different forms of hell.

Lou-the-dog
07-23-2005, 08:04 AM
It must be hotter than hell all over the country. Here in Western Iowa temps to be 100 deg and humidity damn near as high. Sweated my clothes completely thru 3 times yesterday and not working that hard at all. The livestock doing well with misters and circulation fans but feed consumption and resulting growth down nonetheless. Crops doing OK...the corn actually likes it hot and humid as long as soil moisture is adequate. My son usually lives outside playing and riding bikes and such but now he's more than content to hole up in the air conditioned house. Cooler weather supposedly coming middle of next week.

Randy

curtis
07-23-2005, 09:40 AM
geez...I shouldn't be complaining! :)

I'll admit it though....I am a weather wimp. :D

bikeman
07-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Get rid of the powercord that came with the AC unit. Replace it with a twisted, shielded, pure copper wrap with teflon. No need to pay retail ($3,000). I have an extra that I using on a hair dryer. $299. plus S&H.
The air will not only be properly chilled, but will have a lightness that, while noticable, is not measureable. If anyone else on the list is interested, I can get these at a special rate in quantity. ;)

David

davef
07-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Curtis,

Congrats on the air conditioner! No doubt you need it 'cause it has been HOT.

Bikeman, your above post is cracking me up.. too funny :D

Have you got one of those super high end AC cords for the Dell PC I am working on right now? I am quite sure that not only would it make an improvement on Curtis' air conditioner, but also dramatically improve the speed of my PC, or at least improve the depth and spatial characteristics of what I type on it ;)

Send it my way... $299 is a good price for the improvement, especially considering the PC was $399....

smokey
07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
That is a classic post Bikeman!

Curtis, we bought an AC for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I think SoCal makes a weather wimp of everybody. :eek:

Smokey.