PDA

View Full Version : CMB-170 Audition Request in Fort Worth, TX

Josh Wilken
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm a few months away from purchase, but the CBM-170s are right at the top of my short list.

Looking for anyone in the Fort Worth / Dallas area willing to let me listen to their setup.

Thanks!

~Josh

Josh Wilken
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
What, no one in the DFW area owns a set? :confused:

curtis
07-21-2005, 05:03 PM
At least nobody that visits the board.

There are owners in Texas...but the state is so BIG.

Cliff_L
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I'll be coming down to Dallas (from Little Rock) to visit a good friend of mine probably Labor Day weekend (and possibly sometime mid August). If you haven't gotten an audition by then (and are still interested), I could bring down a pair of 170s for you to listen to (assuming my friend is ok with it at his house), or we could do it at your place too.

Josh Wilken
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Cliff,

If I haven't found someone by then I'll take you up on the generous offer! Whichever way is more convenient for you. Just let me know when you get ready to head down and we can make the arrangements. I'll provide the Shiner Bock (Texas beer) :D

Thanks!

~Josh

CraigT
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm in Irving but I have 340's. If you'd like to hear those you are welcome to.

Josh Wilken
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
CraigT,

Aside from the looks and extra driver, what are the sound differences between the 340s and the 170s? If its still ok, I'll probably take you up on your offer, if nothing else just to check out the build quality and overall sound from "one of the family members"

Thanks!

~Josh

Trey
08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
CraigT,
just joined the forum and saw your reply. I'm right over in Plano and am contemplating getting the 170s, but would love an opportunity to hear the 340s. Perhaps I could join in the demo.
A buddy of mine has got an Axiom HT setup (M22 mains) which I'm gonna listen to again before I buy, but if I remember from the last time I heard them, they're a bit too bright for my tastes.
Anyway, I'd love to hear yours. It would give me a reference point when reading the comparisons between the 170s and 340s.

thanks,
Trey Downey

Josh Wilken
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Trey,

Lets see if we can coordinate a time to impose on CraigT (if he's still game to showing his system off). I'd like to get your take on the Axioms M22s in comparison to the 340s.

~Josh

Trey
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Josh, Craig,

I'm planning to order before Monday, so would really like to audition the 340s by Sat/Sun if at all possible. I'll be listening to the axioms tomorrow but would really like to base my decision on hearing the Ascends too. If this weekend is possible, I'd be very grateful and will bring the Correlejo Anejo Margs and/or home-roasted Kenyan beans for coffee for the show.
If this weekend is not possible I certainly understand because of the short notice and would still like to hear the 340s sometime.

thanks,
Trey

curtis
08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Bring that stuff to LA and you can listen all you want! :D

Trey
08-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Ahhh, could it be the moderator is a fellow home roaster? And knows the smooth flavor of the Correlejo too? I think it's game over for the Axioms .... :)

JohnnyCasaba
08-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey Trey,

Welcome to a fellow home roaster, having some Ugandan Bugisu right now!

curtis
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
I just saw "Margs". hehehehe :D

Trey
08-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome Johnny.
Are you pullin shots with that Bugisu at 10:30pm? A true coffee lover :D

So do you still have the 170s all around w/340c and VTF-2? This is the setup I'm considering for my 3200cubic ft room (17x19x10, all rt angles, flat ceiling, plaster walls and full carpet). They'll be driven by a Denon AVR-3300.
Talked w/one of the sales guys who felt confident that would be enough spkr for the room, but I figure it's gotta be getting marginal, although 90% of listening will be at low-mid vol.
So, having used that spkr cfg, what do you think? And if you have used the 340s, do they fill room any better than the 170s? I figure they're prob not too far apart in that respect - a 6.5 vs two 5.25 drivers ...
If the 170s will have no prob in my size room, I'd rather have the flat, uncolored sound (not that I've heard the two, just repeating what I've read here).

PS: for the tequila drinkers out there, Correlejo Anejo is, IMO, one of the very best. If you haven't tried it, treat yourself!

JohnnyCasaba
08-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Trey,

No shots, I am just a press pot guy, have not graduated to espresso yet.

I still have and am very happy with my 4 -170's, 340c and VTF-2 in our 24 x 12 x 9 room. We sit about 9 feet from the speakers and usually listen to music in 2.1 at around 80 to 85 dB. For movies, I crank it up a bit more, depending on the time of day, the VTF-2 gives us good bass down to about 22hz. If you want that sub 20hz bass, I would look at the VTF-3. I think for your stated needs, that setup would be fine. If during your trial period you feel it is lacking, try a set of 340's. I have heard the 340m's, but have never used them in house. They have the same 6.5 mid of the 170 though. Good luck with your decision.

Trey
08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Just got back from auditioning the Axioms. He's got the M22 (main), VP150, QS8 and EP175 driven by a Denon 2803. I have to say, I remember them performing better the last time I was there. In addition to their 'above average brightness' (Balin's Tomb scene of LOTR, FOTR was almost painful when the skeleton and chains fell down the well) they did not cleanly reproduce 's' and 't' nor high hat and brushed symbols. Too much 'shhh' going on for me. Bass and mid seemed pretty well reproduced to me though. There was a hole around 80-90Hz but I think that was just a poor choice of crossover freq. Male and female voices in movies were quite clear and distinct from the VP150 center even at very low volume; something my current Infinitys do poorly.
Anyone heard the Axiom M22 and VP150 that can make a comparison to the Ascend 170s and 340c?

tamuct
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
This might be OT, but I recently got a set of Ascends (340s & 170s) and tried them out with a LOTR marathon last Sat. I was really looking forward to hearing what the Ring Wraiths sounded like through them. I remember when I saw the movies in the theater that their screeching was almost painful. At home on my Ascends the Wraith sounds weren't glass shattering painful, just pleasantly disturbing. I'm not sure if that's bad or not, just different.

curtis
08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I have heard the M22 and VP150. IMO, the CBM-170's have just as much detail with the the added brightness, just as good through the mids and mid-bass if not better.

IMO, the CMT-340c is much fuller and natural than the VP150. There is much more difference between these two speakers than the CBM-170 and M22.

JohnnyCasaba
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Trey,

I've heard a similar system to the one you demoed, but both times it was with a Hsu VTF-2 and not the Axiom sub. Do a search under my name on the Axiom board, I don't have a ton of posts over there, would be from around summer 2003. I had some of the same criticisms you did, some things like cymbals and sax just did not sound right to me. With movies, I found more of an emphasis on certain sounds with the Axioms, I remember the Lobby Scene from The Matrix, the shell cases hitting the marble floor was to much for me. There was some music I preferred the Axioms on, but for me, the Ascends are a better match. I never have a problem playing my music (mostly Rock) on them or complain about movies being overly bright. YMMV.

NightStar69
08-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Guys,

Do you have room for one more? I was serously considering the Axioms (specifically the M22s). However the Ascend sound like they could be a real winner. Would love to hear the 340s and 170s if anyone is interested.

I like in Plano.

Thanks!

Steve

Cliff_L
08-17-2005, 03:06 PM
To those still interested in auditioning some 170s - right now, there's a small chance that I may be coming down to Dallas this weekend (Fri night->Sun afternoon). I'll know more probably by tomorrow (Thurs) night. I'd be happy to bring down a pair of 170s for y'all to hear. I wish it could be more, but having to drive down, I can only manage a pair of 170s. Let me know if you guys are still interested & I'll let you know as soon as I decide for sure.

Josh Wilken
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Cliff, count me in if it works out for you. Let me know!

~Josh

NightStar69
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Cliff,

Count me in, also.

Steve

Cliff_L
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Hey guys...I apologize but I won't be coming down to Dallas this weekend. I'm definitely going to try & make it within the next couple of months though, so I'll post again when my plans are more definite.

NightStar69
08-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Cliff,

Thanks for the attempt. Please let us know the next time.

Steve

Josh Wilken
08-19-2005, 06:42 AM
You mean you won't make the trip just for us??? :D

Just kidding- no worries. Whenever it works for you, just let us know. I'll keep a few beverages cold for ya just in case.

~Josh

Trey
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Great News!
I can now start offering to host auditions. A pair of 170s was delivered the beginning of the week and after listening to them for a few days, I just placed my order for two 340m and a 340c. Like so many have reported here, the more I listen, the more I like.
Anyway, the 340s should be in da house by next weekend and hopefully I'll get everything tuned and calibrated so I can have some of you over for a listen in a couple of weeks.
BTW, for those considering the Hsu VTF-3, all I can say is velcro your knick-nacks to the shelves! After the Seige of Gondor extended scene (LOTR ROTK) I was picking ceiling texture up off my floor. Literally.
I have it tuned for max output; I thought the max extension was just a bit too loose. I have yet to whip out the SPL meter, but I think I'm getting a peak around 50-60Hz. Where is a good place to pick up a BFD?

CraigT - thanks for the invite and I appologize for not getting back with you. That weekend turned out to be really busy for me.

Also, once I get everything setup, I'll try to find time to write a thorough review of the system.

Josh Wilken
08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Great News!
I can now start offering to host auditions. A pair of 170s was delivered the beginning of the week and after listening to them for a few days, I just placed my order for two 340m and a 340c. Like so many have reported here, the more I listen, the more I like.
Anyway, the 340s should be in da house by next weekend and hopefully I'll get everything tuned and calibrated so I can have some of you over for a listen in a couple of weeks.

:D :D :D Finally a DFW area owner of the 170s! Awesome - can't wait!

BTW, for those considering the Hsu VTF-3, all I can say is velcro your knick-nacks to the shelves! After the Seige of Gondor extended scene (LOTR ROTK) I was picking ceiling texture up off my floor. Literally.
I have it tuned for max output; I thought the max extension was just a bit too loose. I have yet to whip out the SPL meter, but I think I'm getting a peak around 50-60Hz. Where is a good place to pick up a BFD?

Ebay- you can get one for about $95. Or www.froogle.com will net you about the same. Either way you go watch the warranty.

Also, once I get everything setup, I'll try to find time to write a thorough review of the system.

Looking forward to it. Frequency responses and pictures!!

What are you using to drive these?

~Josh

Trey
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm using a Denon AVR-3300 (105W x 5) for the amp and a HTPC for all sources except FM tuner. I have the HTPC patched to the 3300 digitally via SPD/IF and analog via 6 chnl ext in. I go back and forth between the Denon and PC for pre/pro.
Relevant specs on the HTPC are:
Plextor 712 DVDr drive
M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card
MyHD MDP-120 HD tuner (output via DVI to Samsung HL-P4674)
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz w/1.5GB Physical Mem
Win XP Pro / PowerDVD XP / Windows MediaPlayer 9 / Coolplayer (mp3)
I'm very impressed with the audio quality from the M-Audio. It's DACs are excellent and the bass managment is better than that of the Denon :eek: (let the flaming commence). I'm debating selling the Denon and getting a dedicated 5-6 chnl amp. I need to do some more critical listening with these new speakers before I make that decision though ...

Another note to those considering Ascend: The return shipping for a pair of 170s is only $16. I think that's a pretty low price to pay for being able to demo these spkrs in your own room with your own equipment at your own leisure. If you're chomping at the bit (as I was/am still) and can't get a demo soon enough, just order 'em. Chances are, once you hook em up, they'll never see the inside of another UPS truck ... ;)

Josh Wilken
08-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Trey,

You da man. Sounds like a great setup. I can't wait to see how your HTPC setup works. I've considered building / converting a computer to serve the function of CD / DVD player / DVR / HD tuner / gaming rig / internet terminal but could never find a good way to get the 5.1 / 7.1 sound out and still have processing modes intact. I'd like to see how the connections work.

Good advice on the Ascends return shipping for demo purposes- in fact when the time comes I'm planning on ordering a pair of the Axiom M3s and Aperion 522s to do some side by side with the CBM-170s, then the winner gets the rest of the order while the two losers take a return trip with Mr. UPS. Its tempting just to pull the trigger on the front pair right now, despite the fact the new room is not done!

By the way, Ascend offers a really neat bundle purchase deal if you order the remainder within 45 days. That lets you audition and then pull the trigger on the rest.

~Josh

Lou-the-dog
08-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Another note to those considering Ascend: The return shipping for a pair of 170s is only $16. I think that's a pretty low price to pay for being able to demo these spkrs in your own room with your own equipment at your own leisure.

Good point Trey. Considering the true cost of operating a vehicle at $.50 per mile one could only drive 32 miles round-trip for an audition to break even. Auditioning in your own home for 30 days is easily worth the $16 bucks.

Randy