PDA

View Full Version : FYI: 340s with stands on audiogon for $500

khoi911
07-16-2005, 06:17 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1126491687

bikeman
07-16-2005, 07:19 PM
If we include actual shipping costs for stands and speakers, how much are we saving? I'd need a lot better deal than that to buy used. YMMV.

David

Lou-the-dog
07-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Ascends really seem to hold their resale value and typically sell used at 80-90% of new. I own a set of speakers from a different internet direct company that I would be lucky to fetch 40% of new...and they are only 7 mo old!

Randy

sensibull
07-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Can't help but wonder why someone would sell the 340s. Obviously, they fit their price range or they wouldn't have bought them originally and I find it hard to believe they were disappointed in their performance. Student loan come calling? Bad gambling debts? Oh well, I guess not everybody can love the same speakers I do ;-)

Quinn
07-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Nearly 25% off seems like a good deal to me. Of course that is their asking price that necessarily the price they will accept. Ascend doesn't eat as much of the shipping as they used. Or maybe it is they aren't eating the shipping increases.

mboy
07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I was the one that purchased them today. The seller apparently had some perosnal issues and needed to recoup some cash. I wound up getting them for $500 shipped, which I think, is a pretty good deal for speakers that are 6 months old with 4.5 years left on transferrable warranty.
I would not have been able to convince the wife to spend $700 shipped, but 500 was a bit easier to sell.

Now I have to sell of my JBL front 3 so I can swing a 340 center. In the meantime, I am stuck using my JBL EC35 with the Ascends (when they arrive).

All in all I am happy with my decision. How often do you see mint, just broken in 340's for 25% less then new?

bikeman
07-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Congrats. With shipping, that's a good deal. Let us know your thoughts after you've had time to hear for yourself what the buzz is all about.

David

mboy
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks David, very excited to get them.

Unfortunately, I can't swing a the 340c yet, hoping to get another good deal on a used or see if Ascend has a Bstock and what they go for.

Very much looking forward to a long and happy experience with the Ascends!

JohnnyCasaba
07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Said in his Maxwell Smart voice, "missed em by that much". I know I just dated myself really bad, congrats on the purchase Mboy! Let us know how they compare to your JBL's when you get em.

mboy
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Said in his Maxwell Smart voice, "missed em by that much". I know I just dated myself really bad, congrats on the purchase Mboy! Let us know how they compare to your JBL's when you get em.

Would you believe it if I said this much? (in My Maxwell smart voice).

Used to love that show. Best intro of any show on TV ever.

REALLY looking forward to getting them.

mboy
07-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, I got them (perfectly packaged-great transaction overall).
Speakers/Stands are MINT. Look brand new. Seller included Original receipt so I could transfer warranty. These were pruchased in March, so they are just broken in :-).

28-29% discount on these, tell me that is not a great deal (my wife is like whatever,lol).

Sold my JBL's today, so ordered the 340c this am (couldn't wait on used or bstock).

Now I know what you guys are talkin' about.

If it is in the source material, this speakers will let you hear it.
AWESOME.

Lou-the-dog
07-22-2005, 07:26 PM
You got a great deal...enjoy!!

Randy

curtis
07-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, I got them (perfectly packaged-great transaction overall).
Speakers/Stands are MINT. Look brand new. Seller included Original receipt so I could transfer warranty. These were pruchased in March, so they are just broken in :-).

28-29% discount on these, tell me that is not a great deal (my wife is like whatever,lol).

Sold my JBL's today, so ordered the 340c this am (couldn't wait on used or bstock).

AWESOME.
Wow...did you get a chance to compare at all?

s2pdname
07-22-2005, 08:31 PM

AWESOME.

Good and bad. That is the only problem. I have found that I won't let my wife listen to some music 'cause Ascend shows the flaws.

You got a great deal. Let us know how it goes.

mboy
07-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Still waitin on the Center (monday delivery), but I am Def. enjoying the 340ms. (not a big fan of phantom center right now tho).

I did get to compare to the JBL e80's before I soldthem. The Ascends are noticeably clearer. def notice things I hae never heard before. Subtle stuf, breaths in movies,singer voice changing pitch etc.
The JBLS def. colored the midrange, to the point of being slightly muddy or "lacking detail" in the mid range.
The Ascends have no such problem.

REALLY enjoying them..
Of course, it made me realize my Dayton 10 is not in the same class, so SVS 16-46PC+ should be here Friday, hehehehe!

bikeman
07-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Of course, it made me realize my Dayton 10 is not in the same class, so SVS 16-46PC+ should be here Friday, hehehehe!

My Dayton (with BFD) had been adaquet but I'm itching to get a more musical sub that can go deep. I'm waiting for imput and pricing on the HSU HO before deciding which direction to go. I hate it when they announce a product and several months later it's still vaporware. I'll just havta be patient. Not always my strong suit.

David