PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade path to seperates

ronrosa
08-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Are doing this for music or HT purposes ?

curtis
08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
ron,

Good question. This is mainly for music purposes right now. So you will probably say to go with the two-channel amp now, and then buy a multi-channel amp when I go with a dedicated pre/pro? How important do you think it would be to have a matching multichannel amp when the time comes?

-curtis

ronrosa
08-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Tricky question. To my ears, preamps made more of a sound difference than power amps (assuming adequate power).

Right now you have a nice balanced system (sound quality wise) with your Ascends and HK receiver. If you upgrade to good separates, your Ascends may become a weak point. If you upgrade to lower end separates you may not notice a change over your HK. What's the ultimate goal ?

curtis
08-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Ultimate goal? Does it ever really end? Well, at whatever pace, to constantly upgrade the sound of my system.

-curtis

ronrosa
08-16-2003, 11:36 PM
I would get the best 2 channel amp my $1,000 could buy. I don't think I could handle spending $1,000 on a 5 channel and then discover I can't hear a difference.

curtis
08-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Thanks....that's what I was thinking too. Any suggestions on what to look for in the used market?

-curtis

ronrosa
08-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Don't know diddly about the used market, but I would start w/ solid state and big mfr. warranty.

curtis
08-17-2003, 03:54 AM
If I list some amps, would you kind enough to give some opinions?

-curtis

ronrosa
08-17-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm not an expert. It's been a while since I was in the market for audiophile equipment. But I would be interested to see what you are considering.

Fastfwd
09-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks for asking this question Curtis. I've been thinking about the same thing with the Rotel RMB-1075 being my main consideration for upgrade paired with my Onkyo TX-SR700. I actually bothered Ascend directly with my inquiry and David Fabrikant was kind enough to reply that the Rotel would be his choice at the $1,000 price point. I'd like to hear what others with the Ascends might recommend. I'm not sure if my ears will hear the improvement, but I think it makes the most sense for the next step toward mid-fi. I'm concerned that if my sound equipment budget were to increase in the future that I will outgrow the 120 wpc of the RBM-1075 making it a poor upgrade choice.

curtis
09-21-2003, 12:19 PM
I have heard my 340's briefly with Rotel seperates, the amp being the 1075. They belonged to an Axiom owner. I like them a lot.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have saved for Rotel seperates. I am told though that my HK525 makes a good pre/pro.

-curtis

Fastfwd
09-21-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm hoping that my Onkyo will make a good pre/pro as well. At least I'll have some point of reference when the time comes to purchase a dedicated separate pre/pro. Good luck Curtis! I am eager to hear what choice you make and how you feel it works out.

Fastfwd
09-21-2003, 08:18 PM
While I'm thinking about it - I'm sure that when I asked Ascend for suggestions, I specified that I was into the surround formats and not just 2 channel. In case that makes a difference.

spiffnme
10-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Hello Curtis!

If I didn't go Rotel, this was my other thought. I've heard nothing but RAVES about these amps. They occasionally show up on audiogon, and sell almost immediately.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products.html

curtis
10-12-2003, 02:34 AM
hey spiff....glad to see you post over here.

Yes...I know about the Odyssey stuff. Like you, I am going to go the used route when I get an amp. So hopefully, when I decide to pull the trigger...there will be one available. Ofcourse, then I will have to make up my mind.

-curtis

Quinn
10-12-2003, 01:42 PM
What is the deal on the Khartago? I've seen Klaus' anouncement at audiocircle but don't see it on the web site.

BradJudy
10-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Quinn:

If you read through some of the stuff on Audiocircle you'll see that Klaus says the website is behind with products. I suggest searching, posting, or e-mailing for info on the Khartago.

picasso
10-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Save up and buy something in the two to three thousand dollar range. You'll never need to replace it if unwanted. A Bryston 9B SST or it's identical twin with a Lexicon NT 512 (identical machine with a five year warrantee as opposed to Bryston's legendary 20 year warrantee). High current and a Stereophile Class A rating for under three grand. You'll never need more unless you surpass today's 5.1 setups. Quality amplification never goes out of style and if you do go 7.1, a nice two channel amp is all you'll ever need.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

mattepntr
11-22-2003, 12:19 PM
I had to postpone my HT purchases until Spring as I'll
be extra busy with work. On the upside, my budget will
be substantially more than I was originally planning.
I'm now looking at getting something like a Denon 3804
(when it comes out) used as a pre/pro with all the latest
decoding bells and whistles, and pairing it up with something
like the ATI AT2000 (200 wpc x 7) amp and the Denon 5900 DVD.
Curtis, how do you like your ATI? Sound, build quality etc.
I'm still a newbie at HT, so I feel like I'm WAY over my
head sometimes. Does anything about my planned setup jump
out at anyone as a problem? Input greatly appreciated!

Ironically, the only thing I AM definite about is my choice
to go with Ascends (340's across the front, 170's for surrounds)
and an Hsu VTF-3 sub!

Rick

curtis
11-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Hey Rick,

I am very happy with my ATI AT1505. It is built like a tank, and I am very happy with the sound. I bought the amp used, and the seller had everything but the manual, so I called ATI and the mailed one out to me...FAST. ATI is in the Los Angeles area, so that is a plus for me as well

I was also looking at an Anthem MCA5 amp, but could not pass up the local deal I got on the ATI.

Just noticed that you are in Riverside. If you ever feel like jumping on the 91fwy, you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to my setup since it will be somewhat similar to yours.

-curtis