PDA

View Full Version : 3" woofers go down to 30Hz??

metalaaron
07-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I was out the other day and saw a flyer with a speaker on it. Naturally, I read the flyer. There's a local company here called Digital Phase. I was unaware of this company.

I found their website and was kind of surprised at their audible response claims.

"audible fundamental output at 30Hz...with a pair of 3" woofers, such performance is nothing less than amazing!"

http://www.digitalp.com/ap7cc.htm

Anyone ever heard of "acousta-reed" technology, or something similar w/o that specific terminology?

bikeman
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
As with anything, there are going to be trade-offs. I didn't read Hirsch's (RIP) article. Maybe I'll glance at it when I get home.

David

dae3dae3
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
My Def Tech speakers that were moved to rear surround duty when I bought my Ascend 340's claimed to go down to 25 Hz with 5.5" drivers. What they didn't say was that they were about -30 Db at 25 Hz. The -3 Db point was probably closer to 60 Hz.

You can make specs say just about anything if you don't provide any point of reference.

metalaaron
07-15-2005, 04:33 PM
agree. their graph is way down as well. just thought i'd share what i saw. i guess that defines audible, fundamental output. ;)

dae3dae3
07-15-2005, 07:36 PM
When I said "you" I was referring to speaker companies and not you metalaaron. Was that confusing enough? :p I still have residual anger at Definitive Tech over their phony specs. :(

Sorry if it sounded like I was taking a shot at you. I was aiming "the shot" squarely at Def Tech. :eek:

metalaaron
07-17-2005, 01:06 PM
oh, it didn't sound like that. i didn't take it that way. i knew what ya' meant. no worries. :)

S_rangeBrew
08-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I always thought the lowest a 4" driver could go was 80hz (see the HTM-200)... but now that I think about it, the B*SE 901s have used an array of tiny drivers for decades now, and they go pretty low.

So, I guess small drivers can go low, you just need a lot of them for any kind of dynamic output... also, don't the 901's need some kind of equalizer box to work correctly?

bikeman
08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
also, don't the 901's need some kind of equalizer box to work correctly?

They need a large sledge hammer to "work correctly." I bought 901's in the early 70's. I was young and a very admirable sales job was done on me at the time. I believe I've learned a bit over the years. That's how I got here. ;)

David