PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with room treatments

Kershek
07-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Ok, I ordered my speakers and now I want to test my room to see what I can do to improve the acoustics. I am a beginner and don't know what equipment I need. Based on what I've read in other posts, my goal is to get a flat response across the spectrum for best sound. Can anyone give me tips or web site links to get me started? Also, what do I need to do the sound testing?

Eddie Horton
07-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Here's a couple of good web site to get you started. www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
www.tmlaboratories.com

Kurt C.
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
OK, after reading the websites of Ethan Weiner, Terry Montlick and a bunch of others, I'm convinced that I need a minimum of 2-inch thick fiberglass or acoustic cotton panels at the sites of first relection on my walls and ceiling.

I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive place to order several sound absorbing panels. (No, I can't take any of the DIY options because I have no power tools and prefer not to get fiberglass fibers all over my house)

The most reasonable source I've found, about $60 for each panel plus $$$ for shipping something so bulky is:

Fabric-wrapped fiberglass panels (http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=42)

Thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

BradJudy
07-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I have done business with Sensible Sound Solutions and I'm currently working on doing treatments in my own room.

Another option is Gik - http://www.gikacoustics.com who sells 2" and 4" thick mineral wool panels. They have pretty good prices and a flat shipping rate listed with each product. Their 2" panels work out to about $56 each including shipping (they come in 3-packs). (~$70/ea for 4" panels in two-packs)

jermy4
07-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I know the guy who runs sensible sound solutions and he is super nice and incredibly knowledgeable. He came out to my house and helped me with my room acoustics. I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Cheers,

JR

bpape
08-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

As far as shipping goes, the pre-finished panels in a 2x4x2" size can be shipped up to 6 in a single box. Shipping in the lower 48 is $25.

Bryan

jermy4
08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
No problem. And just in case you were wondering, I haven't forgotten about you. I just don't have the time or cash for bass traps right now.

BTW, when are you going to get some Ascend speakers? :p

For those of you who didn't know, Bryan helped me tweak my setup and place some acoustic panels and he enjoyed listening to the Ascend CBM-170s.

bpape
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I was very surprised by them. They blended very nicely with the sub and did a nice job in nearfield listening but still threw a nice relatively large soundstage. I'd love to hear them with some breathing room sometime. Maybe the next meet we have, you can bring them over and I'll put them up on stands in my room.

jermy4
08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Maybe the next meet we have, you can bring them over and I'll put them up on stands in my room. That's cool with me, I always enjoy getting together with other enthusiasts. Is there another meet already in the works? I don't spend very much time on avs anymore.

bpape
08-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Not finalized just yet. Been haning with the guys from AudioCircle here in STL. Might do something at my house with the AVS crowd and them - like a BBQ.

I'll let you know.

Bryan

jermy4
08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Not finalized just yet. Been haning with the guys from AudioCircle here in STL. Might do something at my house with the AVS crowd and them - like a BBQ.

I'll let you know.

Bryan
Sounds cool. Definitely let me know because I probably won't catch it if you post it on audiocircle and avs.