PDA

View Full Version : Did not pull the trigger, just placed my order

EdMartin
07-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Hello, guys!

This is my first post. About three or four weeks ago I placed an order consisting of 340's (l/r/c), stands for l/r, and 170's for surround, all b-stock. Yesterday I emailed Davef asking for the shipping date. Last night I checked my email, and guess what? An email from Davef telling that my speakers were shipped. I am very excited! :D

Shipping charges to PR are not cheap. That's why I ordered b-stock (just to save some bucks). My new speakers will replace Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-350, and Atoms. I am keeping my SVS 25-31 CS. My receiver is a HK 525.

As soon as my equipment is properly setup I will keep you informed about my findings.

Eduardo

bikeman
07-12-2005, 08:54 AM
As soon as my equipment is properly setup I will keep you informed about my findings.
Eduardo

Welcome, Eduardo. Look forward to you posting your impressions.

David

chas
07-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Congrats! Looking forward to your impressions vs the mini-monitors....and how the Ascends sound with your HK.

curtis
07-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Welcome!

I used to drive my 340's and 170's with an HK525....great combo. In fact, I gave the 525 to my Parents also driving 340's and 170's.

EdMartin
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
At last! The speakers are here. The four boxes were delivered yesterday. My neighbor received them. This morning I assembled the stands and had to go out again. Maybe tonight I will get the speakers connected. I will keep you informed.

Eduardo

EdMartin
08-01-2005, 07:24 AM
My first impressions:

I would like to start saying that I like my Paradigm setup very much. When I bought the Paradigm Mini Monitors I compared them with a higher price pair of B&W (don’t remember the model). I preferred the Minis. Now, after reading a lot about the Ascend speakers, I decided to give them a try.

Before taking away the Mini Monitors I listen in stereo mode to three CDs that I am very familiar with (Fleetwood Mac – Rumors, Fania All Star – Rhythm Machine, and Silvio Rodriguez – Causas y azares). After that, I replaced the MM with the 170s. WOW! I really like the Paradigms a lot and still think that they are great for the money. But with the 170's I heard sounds and instruments never heard before. I think that some instruments now sound different! I’m not saying better or worst. Just, slightly different. The sound now is more clear, clean, open, and sweet. My English language does not let me to express in the proper terminology (adjectives) what I heard. When the 170s were replaced with the 340s my room was filled with sound even more.

I did not understand when members of this and other forums rave about listening to music in stereo (two channels). I thought that Logic 7 or 5 channel stereo was better. Boy, I was wrong. With the Ascend 340s, the soundstage is so good that there is no need for more speakers. I had to place my ear near the center channel speaker to be sure it was not ON. I asked my wife to tell me from which speaker was coming out the voice. She seated in the sweet spot and said: “The voices are coming from the center”.

Now I will have to go through all my CDs again. That means more music and fewer movies. I’m a new adept of two channel music.

With all the speakers properly setup I listen to The Eagles HFO DVD. The guitars, the voices, the separation, the soundstage, all resulted in a new experience. My son came to visit me because he wanted to listen to my new toys. He was amazed. He told me that his supervisor has a pair of Infinity that impressed him for the clarity. They cost over $2K. He said: “Dad, they are not better than yours”. By the way, now my son owns the Paradigms.

Eduardo

Lou-the-dog
08-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Wow! Great review Eduardo...and your description in English is just fine!

Randy

curtis
08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Eduardo,
Randy beat me to it, nice write up, and your english is just fine!

bikeman
08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Very good review, Eduardo. My initial impressions were very similar to your own. I have only recently gotten the 340C to go with my 340M's. I was amazed at how little the 340C added to the soundstage when listening to music. It wasn't due to any fault of the 340C. It was just the mains do such a great job all by themselves. Two channel is far from dead.

David

EdMartin
08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Two more things.

1. The bass produced by the 340s is very good. It really surprised me.

2. Center channel comparison:

a. The sound of the Paradigm CC-350 is a little congested, particularly in the dialogs. I would describe it as “boxy” (coming out of a box).

b. The 340 center is crystal clear.

Eduardo

khoi911
08-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Very good review, Eduardo. My initial impressions were very similar to your own. I have only recently gotten the 340C to go with my 340M's. I was amazed at how little the 340C added to the soundstage when listening to music. It wasn't due to any fault of the 340C. It was just the mains do such a great job all by themselves. Two channel is far from dead.

David

David,

Why is your center on when listening to music? Am I missing something?

Khoi

bikeman
08-02-2005, 12:45 PM
David,
Why is your center on when listening to music? Am I missing something?
Khoi

I have several music DVD's and my receiver has several multi-channel options (PLII, NEOS 6, etc).

David

curtis
08-02-2005, 01:24 PM
He's not one of those two-channel is for two-channel only guys. :D

EdMartin
08-03-2005, 04:20 AM
With my Paradigm setup it was necessary to use 5 channel stereo because there was a hole or a null point between the speakers, even though my mains were toed-in. In this particular situation the CC-350 was the key. That is why I preferred this mode. Not the case with the L/R 340s. To enjoy a good CD with the 340s you don’t need a center channel. :D

Eduardo

EdMartin
08-29-2005, 04:46 AM
When I first heard the 170s they were connected (just for testing purposes) as front L/R. I thought that they were too good to be used as rears, probably overkill. Anyway, I replaced them with the 340s. Last night that perception was totally gone.

I was playing the Eagles Farewell I Tour DVD (disc 2). My son asked me to raise the volume a little (cranked it up :D ) during Hotel California. We both looked at each other with a smile. My 170s were producing a lot of clear information (music) that made me think that I will never replace them as rears. They are a really good investment.

Has anyone heard this song at high volume?

Eduardo

bikeman
08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Has anyone heard this song at high volume?
Eduardo

Weekly but never weakly. :D

David

Highlife
09-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Several months ago I suggested to rid the phrase "pull the trigger". I am glad to see that I see progress being made after checking back in! LOL