PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

J.A.P
11-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Try http://www.steves-digicams.com/ great site for camera reviews. It's helped alot of people I know decide on the camera they've ended up with.

BradJudy
11-03-2003, 10:10 PM
I'll add http://www.dpreview.com as another great resource for digital camera information. I got my Canon S400 for around $350 with some really good discounts - if you could find one for your $350 target I highly recommend it. I also considered getting a Nikon 4300. I think Canon and Nikon both make great digital cameras. Of course my other family members have had good luck with Olympus.

curtis
11-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Those are two great web resources. Canon, Nikon, and Olympus seem to always be the front-runners. My Father just purchased one of the new Kodaks and seems to like it.

I have had a Nikon 5000 for a little over a year now....it has more adjustments than I will ever need. If I were to do it over again, I would get something a little more simple and with a better zoom.

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Quinn, I would recommend that you check out the Fuji digital cameras also. They offer a lot of bang for the buck (now where have I heard that phrase used before? [:D])

Quinn
11-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Thank for all the help.

One of the parents of a student in my daughter's ballet class is a Fuji rep. Hmm...think I can get some unbaised adviced from him? Or better yet a discount!!

curtis
11-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Do your research on your own, then go for the discount!

-curtis

frank
11-05-2003, 12:12 AM
i bought a s45 canon at costco.com got a good price I paid $500.00 it came with a 32mb card, extra battery camera case and not a cheap one!!! But the best thing is If for any reason I break it or just don't like it I can return it back to any costco wholesale for the price full price!!! COSTCO IS GREAT!!!!!

curtis
11-05-2003, 12:38 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But the best thing is If for any reason I break it or just don't like it I can return it back to any costco wholesale for the price full price!!! COSTCO IS GREAT!!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What is the timeframe in which this can be done? 30 days, 6 months, a year?

-curtis

frank
11-05-2003, 12:45 AM
curtis as long as you keep the receipt you can return it, say up to 1yr or longer

frank
11-05-2003, 12:47 AM
also curtis say you run it with your car or beat the hell out of it you can't return it!

curtis
11-05-2003, 02:13 AM
OK...that is a good deal!

-curtis

Quinn
12-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Okay, I'm looking at the Nikon 4300. I went from deciding on $200 Fiji snapsot camera to this under the reasoning that I want more versitility over a point and shoot camera since I enjoy photography. I'm I correct in thinking that a digital camera is cheaper to use than buying film and paying for developing if I'm only printing the shots I want?

How about easy of use? I own nice a SLR Nikkormat and a SLR Nikon and multiple lens for each and find myself using almost exclusively my Lieca point and shoot for easy for use.

Is there the equivilent of negatives if I want to reprint a shot later or do I store this on a disc? Does my CD burner do this? Am I correcting in thinking that if I enjoy photography that a better digital camera and a PhotoShop type program is going to allow me to do more with my photography?

curtis
12-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Quinn...I have a Nikon 5000.....way too adjustable for me. I'm actually thinking of dumbing down.

Yes...in the long run, digital photography is cheaper. No film, and you only print the pictures you want.

If you like photography....you will like digital pictures and learning to use Photoshop. One warning....the Photoshop learning curve is STEEP. Yes, you can store you pictures on CD.

Visit the already mentioned http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com

-curtis

Quinn
12-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Thanks bought the 4300 a couple of days ago. Way cool camera! The camera shop thru in Picasa for a photo program and Fusion7 for web building with the camera purchase. I haven't looked at or loaded either yet. I find the steve's digi-cam forum the best so far.

Bighitter
12-20-2003, 08:42 PM
I have had this camera for over 5 months now I believe it is a really good camera. With the exception of some strange mechanical behavior a couple months ago that seemed to resolve itself it has been perfect. Great quality with both ease of use for my fiance and enough configurations like a normal SLR to make me happy.

Congrats

delling001
12-21-2003, 03:41 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by frank

i bought a s45 canon at costco.com got a good price I paid $500.00 it came with a 32mb card, extra battery camera case and not a cheap one!!! But the best thing is If for any reason I break it or just don't like it I can return it back to any costco wholesale for the price full price!!! COSTCO IS GREAT!!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I want to ditto frank on his thoughts. I also bought the Canon S45 from Costco about a year ago. Just a few weeks ago I bought a Canon SD100 for my daughter from Costco as well. What I have found is Costco will be the cheapest price I can find locally, but in addition (at least with several cameras), their price includes other extras. The SD100 from Costco matches the best price I could find locally, but the Costco price includes an EXTRA Canon battery.

The VERY BEST thing about Costco is their SATISFACTION GUARANTEED policy. It doesn't get any better. I have SEEN PERSONALLY somebody return something to Costco (without receipt)and tell them he didn't like it. It was a car battery charger that looked HAMMERED, like it fell off the back of a pick-up truck. He said he had it for about 4 mos. The clerk asked if he remembered how much it cost, and he said he thought it was about $69. Without question she gave him $69 PLUS tax in cash back and he was on his way. I asked her if that was normal. She told me they do it all the time, and THAT particular charger hadn't been carried by Costco for over 2 years, so the 4 mos. comment was bogus.

I have heard that an acquaintance at work gets a NEW model TV every 2-3 years from Costco by taking his other ones back and buying new again. I DON'T condone that or even like it! It's just another example of their great policy. Bottomline IMO, if you KNOW what you are looking for specifically, and Costco has it, it is definitely worth considering. Hit and miss kind of thing, but worthwhile when you HIT!

JUST FYI: Costco online carries additional products (especially electronics) that you won't find in store. Check out the site because I have ordered both of my cameras from their online sites, as the stores didn't have them. For example: they have Harmon Kardon AVRs "older" 325 and 525, as well as "still" current 7200 for decent pricing.

As for me I'm going to check into the Ascend HK offer to forum members until Christmas..?? It sounds very interesting and worth checking out..??

Dave.