PDA

View Full Version : What's this I hear...

ChrisC
07-06-2005, 07:28 AM
about a possible new product from Ascend?
Any hints and/or timeframes?

curtis
07-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Where did you hear this?

BradJudy
07-06-2005, 08:12 AM
If there's anything that is being released soon, it's news to me. Last I heard, any new products were a while out.

Quinn
07-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Are you referring to this post? http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=10608&postcount=7

I think he is referring to Dave's hints that one is in the works. Not any info that a new model is coming out any time soon.

Ascend doesn't release info on new products until the product is production ready. He will not pre-sell a product 6 plus months before it is availible to ship like other companies. Nor he will he have to deal with all those constant questions about when will "it" be ready to ship. BTW- Dave spends 1-2 years delevoping a speaker. The 170 has been out 5 years without a version II and still has no competition at it's price point.

BGHD
07-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Ascend doesn't release info on new products until the product is production ready.
Unless Ascend wants sales of current models to come to a halt as people wait for the new models, it's in their best interest to keep it under wraps as long as possible. But, OTH, they don't want people left hanging in anticipation for months or years, which can alienate/frustrate some customers. For me, since I purchased recently, I'm hoping it'll be years for any new models :) It took a miracle for me to get the WAF-approval on my recent purchase, so can't imagine what it'll take to upgrade again anytime soon.

Quinn
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
When the 340 came out Ascend offered all recent customers an exchange program and a pro-rated trade-in program(based on condition of the traded-in speakers) for others.

BGHD
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Good to know. That's definitely more WAF-approved than a full upgrade.

BradJudy
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Even if they didn't, Ascends don't come up too often for sale used, so they typically go fast with decent resale value.

Quinn
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Even if they didn't, Ascends don't come up too often for sale used, so they typically go fast with decent resale value.

Good point. Used 170s generally get 80-85% of new.