PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on sub with 340m

Kershek
07-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I have a family room that's 16lx20wx10h with the right side open to the kitchen. I'm looking at the 340m and 340c with a Denon 2805. I already have rears. My budget target was $1,600 but it appears that I'm already close to that and I still need a sub! After reading the glowing reviews on the 340m, I don't think I want to skimp with the 170 (unless people who have heard both can comment).

I think I can stretch the budget a little, but I don't really know what sub to get. I was originally looking at the Polk 12 at $349, but I keep hearing how good the SVSs are. Then I saw how much they were! What sub would you recommend for the above at a $400 ceiling?

curtis
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
I have used a Hsu STF-2 in a corner of a larger room than yours, and it works well, but I think an STF-3 would be better.

If you can't save up more money or got to have it now, I would package a Hsu STF-2 with the 340's.

Eddie Horton
07-06-2005, 05:25 AM
I'm also a big fan of HSU subs. One thing to consider is that with the introduction of the new HO line of subs they plan to release, you may be able to find a deal on a used VTF series on Flea Bay or Audiogon. I'm sure there will be lots of people upgrading........I'm one of them.

Quinn
07-06-2005, 01:06 PM
If you listen to a lot of music the 340s would be my choice. For a dedicated HT the 170s w/340cc will be fine. I have a two channel system with 340s and my HT is 170L/R, 340CC, and 200 surrounds. Polk subs are not good, the Hsu STF-2 is better.

Kershek
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Can you explain a little more why the 330 is only necessary for music listening? Mine will be primarily HT. What will I be sacrificing with the 170?

Also, what's wrong with the Polk subs? How do the HSUs stack up to SVS?

Quinn
07-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Okay the 340s are better but most movies tracks aren't demanding enough to need it in my personal opinion. And 75-80% or more of a movie's sound track is on the center channel which will be covered by the 340CC.

Almost everyone that buys Ascends ends up listening to more music than before.

The 12" Polk is down 3dB at 33hz by Polk's specs and isn't as tight/quick as a Hsu or SVS. The Hsu and SVS are independently measured flat to less than 25hz and 20hz and not to reach 10% distortion until the same area. I'm one of those that believes Hsu subs are quicker and have better reproduction upto the crossover point. Others will disagree with that.

s2pdname
07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Can you explain a little more why the 330 is only necessary for music listening? Mine will be primarily HT. What will I be sacrificing with the 170?

About halfway down the first page of this thread Shane55 writes a direct comparison between the 340's and 170's.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1159

Kershek
07-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, I finally made the plunge. Thanks to all for your advice. I ended up with the 170 and 340c for the front 3 and an SVS 16-46PCi sub. I was going to get the SVS 20, but at $50 more for the 16, I couldn't resist. I'm going to match that with a Denon 2805 I'm purchasing.

I have to admit, as a new HT enthusiast, I hadn't heard of Ascend speakers just two weeks ago. However, there are several reasons that made it an easy decision for me:

1) Glowing reviews on multiple web sites.
2) A friendly and helpful atmosphere at these official forums. It feels like a close-knit group here and brand loyalty means a lot to me.
3) Participation by Ascend staff in the forums.
4) I couldn't really find anything bad about them, really.

Thanks again for the helpful advice. I've done a good 20-30 hours of reading over the past few weeks and have really learned a lot about HT. Now if only I can figure out how to improve my room for acoustics....

Eddie Horton
07-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Congrats on the new system. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

curtis
07-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Great! Get all your old CDs ready too.

Read posts by Nicholas Mosher for tips on setting up your 16-46.

Jorge59
07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Let me jump in this thread, since I saw you talking about Hsu subs.

I'm also about to place the order for a set of Ascend speakers and can't decide on the STF-1 or STF-2 to include in the package.

I use 60/40 dvd concerts and movies, in a small room (3 x 3.5 m x 3m ceiling). Receiver will be Marantz 8400 with 340center ans 170 fronts. Small Polk satellites surround.

For the space, the STF-1 is more than enough, however I wonder why such a respectable sub cannot go deeper than 31,5Hz without fainting. Even the lower end B&W ASM-300 goes down to 27 HZ with =/- 3dB, acc to the specs... . Of course, I know there are physical limitations to produce low sound, but I like bass and I listen to rock concerts.

Then my question is: what do I lose between 32 HZ (STF-1 low end at =/- 3dB) and 25 HZ (lowest of STF-2).?

The human ear feels down to 20 Hz. It's not that the sub doesn't go lower than the specified limits, but it probably goes with less power and more distortion, then you feel a gap in the lower extreme. Or not?

Probably, 99% of the pop/rock music is above 30Hz. However, there is the sub-harmonics thing, and much more complications than our vain philosophy can imagine. Can anyone hold for that?

Maybe few instruments, but tube organs, would go below 30 HZ. I found the 5-string bass guitar lower note is at about 30HZ while the lower note of the 4-string instrument is at 40HZ. BTW, I play a little bass..

Below 30HZ, we lose the bottom end of the low frequency effects, present mostly in action movies. Below 20Hz you might only feel some body vibrations (also in movies) but normally one will not hear any sound.

As I'm upgrading from a low end Polk sub (8" / 50W) the STF-1 will be a huge step forward. And as I live outside US and will bring the speaker set as plane luggage, the smaller the better. But I don't want to regret it later and miss something in music and movies.

Then, what do I pick: STF-1 or STF-2?

Thanks for helping in this hamletian question. I must decide quickly.
Jorge

bikeman
07-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Many of us, once we hear and feel deep base, it makes the sub we have just another step along the way. Nicholas is our resident poster child on this matter. :D
Iwould get the 2, no question. No such thing as too much quality bass.

David

leonp
07-10-2005, 04:38 PM
For info to improve your room acoustics, I recommend going to avsforum.com and doing a search using "room treatments". These are what you need, and this is where your information should come from. I added a few and I noticed a difference.

leonp