PDA

View Full Version : What do you plan to upgrade to from Ascends?

AjayRav
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Hello all,

Just as the title says.....What will you upgrade to from your Ascends? For me, I think it will be the new Sapphire XLs from ACI. These have been getting rave reviews and are considered to be excellent for the money. Yes, at $1500 a pair, it is 5X the price of the CBM170s. Guess you need to spend that kind of money to really upgrade from the Ascends.

Cheers,
Ajay

curtis
07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I am happy with what I have. If I "upgrade", I would want the performance/cost ratio to be like what Ascend has given to us.

I have heard the older Sapphire, and while a great speaker, I could not justify the cost to myself when compared to the 340. The XL is getting great press from the non-professional online community, and Mike Dzurko is a class act, but even the jump from CMT-340's to the XL's is three times the cost. I would probably look for an intermediary step as far as costs are concerned.

metalaaron
07-05-2005, 04:25 PM
hit the nail on the head for price/performance.

highly recommend you also check out Merlin speakers (http://www.merlinmusic.com/)if you're wanting to enter a different price bracket.

AjayRav
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey Curtis,

What would your intermediary step be? What, if anything has wowed you and is currently the object of your speaker lust.

curtis
07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Honestly? Nothing....which is why I am very happy. There isn't another speaker right now that I want to spend my money on...nothing comes close IMO for sound quality vs value. That isn't saying that Ascends are the best, but it is saying that I think Ascends are the best for the money(per dollar)......especially mine.

Now, if my money grew on trees in my backyard, I would like to have a set of TAD Home Audio speakers I heard at CES.
http://tadhomeaudio.com/home.html

davef
07-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Curtis,

Would have to agree with you on that one... If money grew on trees in my yard I too would own a set of the TADs... Call me crazy but I actually think these speakers are WORTH the insane price...

bikeman
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Hello all,

Just as the title says.....What will you upgrade to from your Ascends?

Cheers,
Ajay

I'd upgrade to whatever Dave F. has on the drawing board. Of course I have no idea what it is but based on past performance, it has a excellent chance of getting my attention. I can be patient occasionally.

David

AjayRav
07-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Ooooh, forgot to add a little disclaimer. I haven't HEARD the Sapphire XLs yet (or seen one in person). So my current lust could very well change when reality smacks me in the face! Hmm, I do wonder what Dave F has in store for us!!! It is bound to be good.

Ajay

ClutchBrake
07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Put me in the camp that hopes davef has something special on the drawing board long term. My next house will be a step up and though I love them immensely my 5x340 setup isn't going to cut it.

I'd probably go with M&K S-150s. I'm very fond of the sound. To me they are the natural progression up from the 340s.

Though I'm sure folks here will be skeptical I'm curious to see what SVS offers when Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofers becomes Stimpson Vodhanel Sound. My guess is they could very likely fill the gap between the 340s and the 150s.

On a completely unrelated note... I had a dream last night that I went to a conference to hear davef speak. When it was over I tried to make my way to him to shake his hand and tell him how much I loved my speakers. However, the Ascend folks had James intercept me and wouldn't let me get near Dave. I must be on some sort of watch list or something! :D

hhcan
07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
If I have the money, I would buy the Joseph Audio RM33si Reference Standard. I haven't listened to the TAD but I think these speakers can beat out the top of the line B&W for a fraction of the B&W's cost.

Quinn
07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm with Curtis. It would take a good bit of money to get an improvement worth it over my 340s. We heard a pair $5K speakers at the Austin GTG that the 170s had better mids than. I too am waiting to see what Dave gives us next.

BradJudy
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
The Josephs look interesting, but at 83db sensitivity, you'd need some decent power behind them.

I have heard Dave speak highly of the TAD before and I'm interested in hearing them. Perhaps next year I'll head out to CES.

Clutch: I think you hit on perhaps the most logical upgrade from the Ascends, although I haven't heard them, so I don't know if the performance increase is worth the price difference. There are also a LOT of options in the $1500/pair range of the 150.

Eddie Horton
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
If I had the cash, it'd be an Anthem D1 with M&K's active THX Ultra2 speakers x 7 and a couple of Mark Seaton and Tom Danley's new PB-12 "Tower of Power" subs. I also will probably try my hand at building a pair of Adire's new LCR once our move is completed in September and I have a shop to work in. If they sound great, then I'd like to build more. As for my dream setup, well, unless I also get that money tree it won't happen anytime soon. My Ascends leave very little to be desired and I'd have to spend a LOT more to justify upgrading to anything.

davef
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
On a completely unrelated note... I had a dream last night that I went to a conference to hear davef speak. When it was over I tried to make my way to him to shake his hand and tell him how much I loved my speakers. However, the Ascend folks had James intercept me and wouldn't let me get near Dave. I must be on some sort of watch list or something! :D

Hey Clutch... Don't know what to say or even what to think about this, maybe you should see a professional :p Tell you what, come visit our new office and I promise you can shake my hand ;)

All I will say at this time regarding something new is that I have indeed been quite busy and that I plan to once again create quite a stir..... and that is all I will and can say right now.... Absolutely no time frame (because I honestly don't know right now)...

Eddie Horton
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Good to hear, Dave. Count me in on whatever it is whenever you can.

BradJudy
07-06-2005, 06:59 PM
I look forward to something new as well. I'll put my money on a flagship floorstander ($1-1.5k/pair range).

AjayRav
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Hmmmm, wonder what Dave has in store for us. Floor-standers with Ascend sound and choice of finishes....Drool! On another note, have you guys heard Odyssey Audio products. I recall thinking that they had great sound at the HE2003 show in SF. To me it was a very impressive demo. I think it was the Nightingale speakers with one of their amps.

waiting for the new Ascend toys......
Ajay

Nicholas Mosher
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Paradigm Signature S2s, perhaps when I find a group at a great price in the used market. Perfectly happy with my 170s right now though. As others have said, if you like their neutral quality and don't need polished rosewood, you can't beat the performance/value.

JohnnyCasaba
07-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I've been very happy with my setup for 2 years now, only new thing I bought was a smaller DVD player, changer was just taking up to much room. But if I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and a dedicated room, I'd look at getting some Mackie HR824's and a pre/pro with balanced connections. http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=11198

Lee Bailey
07-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I just got my Ascends a couple of months ago, it was my upgrade!

Next upgrade will be to a Hi-Def capable TV. Probably in a year or two.

mv1612
07-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't have Dave's stuff yet, maybe when you upgrade I'll be able to get my hands on some 340s at a nice price! I have a question. Let's say Dave has a full range in the workings, like everyone of you assumes. What would be your expectations from his eventual fullrange? I understand that bookshelves have some advantages over floorstands (imaging? maybe someone could explain), so where would you want to see his full ranges better the competition?
Virgil.

curtis
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
In general, bookshelves have an advantage in imaging because the front baffles are smaller causing less reflection. Also in general, mids are cleaner in a bookshelf because the drivers do not have to also work on creating bass.

That said, there are full range speakers that are excellent in both.

As for what would expect from Ascend.....Regardless of the type of speaker, I expect excellent(Ascend) sound quality for less than the competition.... internet direct as well as traditional retail.

I don't expect to have the thousands in disposable income that I see with a lot of other people in this hobby, but I know that as long as Ascend is around, and I budget reasonably, I will always have great sound at home.

jeffinsalida
07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I am glad to see Dave F list something he would upgrade to. Some forums try to make you think theirs is the end all be all. Just a testament to the sanity and down to earth atmosphere on this forum. This is a positive factor in my purchasing considerations.

Lee Bailey
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm hoping that Dave's next release is a modified TP-24 stand with a woofer installed that will bring the 340M into full-range mode without a dedicated sub being required!

bikeman
07-11-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm hoping that Dave's next release is a modified TP-24 stand with a woofer installed that will bring the 340M into full-range mode without a dedicated sub being required!

I doubt it but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

David

davef
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I doubt it but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

David

Hi David,

I am curious about this... What would you be willing to pay for such a product if it were not powered?

Let's assume that the addition of the bass modules would bring the 340 mains to at least $800 for a full range floor stander.. Not bad at all... Sorry, just thinking aloud :o

curtis
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Great...force me to re-arrange my livingroom and buy new furniture. :)

But $800 for a fullrange "340" sounds like the proper price-point for the Ascend value. But my guess is that instead of a bass module for the 340, an actual from the ground up floorstander might fair better. Just thinking out loud here too.

Quinn
07-12-2005, 01:23 AM
If we are buying stands to begin with and you can deliver them as bass stands for an extra $150. I'd think they would sell. What would it take to power them? An external crossover? Separate amp?

bikeman
07-12-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi David,

I am curious about this... What would you be willing to pay for such a product if it were not powered?

Let's assume that the addition of the bass modules would bring the 340 mains to at least $800 for a full range floor stander.. Not bad at all... Sorry, just thinking aloud :o

My credit card is twitching. A powered module would be my preference but I'd be fine with unpowered. I might have to add an external amp but that's doable.
I can't see where this approach would add much for movies but for music, it might be just the ticket. I listen to a lot more music since I got my 340's so something that would add to that experience is almost too good NOT to explore.

David

Lou-the-dog
07-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I guess the bass-stand concept is confusing to me. Isn't it an advantage being able to locate the sub-bass generating portion of our systems separate from the speaker themselves??... or are we talking about something different here. I mean, how often does the optimal location for a sub just happen to coincide with the exact location of the mains??

Randy

Lee Bailey
07-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Not talking about a sub-woofer addition here, just a woofer module, passive, that would have its own crossover, with it's output being fed to the 340M. So, you would still only need one speaker cable from the amp. Basically, a 3-way design instead of the current 2-way design. If you still wanted more, subsonic bass, you'd still want to have a powered sub.

BradJudy
07-12-2005, 08:02 AM
It's an interesting idea. Naturally, I would be more interested in one designed for the CBM-170s. In theory, it could be made to work with either, but it would need a 'booster seat' for the 170 (and either a tweak at the factory for a different crossover point, or a switch on the back to select it).

Mag_Neato
07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I believe there's a similar product for the ELT line from av123(Perpetual Tech).
Some sort of powered bass module/stand to turn the bookshelves into a powered tower.

As long as I have a powered sub to handle sub-80hz material I'm happy with my CBM-170/UFW-10 combo. That little sealed sub is fast and tight and compliments the 170's perfectly! :)

bikeman
07-12-2005, 09:03 AM
As long as I have a powered sub to handle sub-80hz material I'm happy with my CBM-170/UFW-10 combo. That little sealed sub is fast and tight and compliments the 170's perfectly! :)

I'm sure Dave wouldn't consider doing this if it didn't add something over and above what the speaker/sub combo already delivers. As I stated earlier, I can't see it adding much for movies but I see real potential for music.
I have no idea what the potential for Ascend's bottom line is. That's a question Dave will have to address if and when.

David

Lou-the-dog
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Davef will address the merits/deficiencies of the bass-stand concept. The 340's are flat to 55hz... already into the territory that a subwoofer handles nicely. The 340's and 170's integrate flawlessly with a sub...sooo how will the bass-stand/module improve the musical ability of our systems? Would the frequency response be more linear? I suppose it would unload the responsibilities of the drivers in the mains and assume some of the duties of the subwoofer (if used).

Randy

NewBuyer
07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
...But $800 for a fullrange "340" sounds like the proper price-point for the Ascend value. But my guess is that instead of a bass module for the 340, an actual from the ground up floorstander might fair better. Just thinking out loud here too.

I agree, either a passive floorstander or a powered tower version would be absolutely perfect IMO. I personally would much prefer a powered tower version, similar to the aperion audio 533-PT or the Paradigm 90P. I would be ready to purchase a pair of these immediately, if Ascend offered them.

Eddie Horton
07-13-2005, 05:34 PM
For HT, I wouldn't trade my 340's and 170's, but if Ascend offered a full range model I'd buy it in a heartbeat for a 2 channel only system. I wouldn't care if it was a bass module (powered or passive) or a tower model (powered for the bass or passive).

Lee Bailey
07-14-2005, 09:32 AM
I agree, either a passive floorstander or a powered tower version would be absolutely perfect IMO. I personally would much prefer a powered tower version, similar to the aperion audio 533-PT or the Paradigm 90P. I would be ready to purchase a pair of these immediately, if Ascend offered them.

The only drawback I see to a powered tower, is of course, running more power cords!

CraigT
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
The funny thing is, only a few days ago I'm sitting on the couch looking at the 340's thinking wouldn't it be cool if the stand were a passive sub.

I think i had the idea because along with he Ascends I auditioned the Axiom M60s. The tweeter killed me on those but one cool thing about the speaker is that the bass section is completly sealed from the midrange/tweeter and it's ported in the front. The result was low bass but without "boomy"ness.

I do have a sub and can see the logic in the comment about why bother if one can just get a sub. To me though, after many hours of setting levels with the Rives test disk and SPL meter (and a few complaints from my neighbor) I still believe that integrating an active subwoofer causes a degradation of signal integrity and thus clarity (for music anyway). I do not know enough or have enough money to be an audio purist but I have that leaning.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if the 340s could be made into full range floor standers yet retain the amazing sound they already have.

BradJudy
07-14-2005, 05:38 PM
If something like this were created, I would be a fan of a passive item. This places the burden of tuning the integration onto Dave and crew who are far more qualified than me. While powered items (like the Onix PBS and RS1K with it's integrated powered bass 'stand') have the benefit of user tunability and potentially more power for the bass, they require work to setup and tune properly. Basically, you're doing the same work you would to integrate a powered sub. If you have both powered stands and a sub, you're doing even more integration work. With passive stands, Dave and crew can design an item to integrate very well with their products.

The down side (I consider this minimal) is that the product is only useful with Ascends products (perhaps only one Ascend product), but I don't see much demand for this outside of pairing with Ascend products.

bikeman
07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
There would be one BIG benefit for those of us who are temininally PW'ed. We already have the 340's and the stands so a new woof/w stand would be easier to get in the door. I even have a place for the current stands should they not be needed in the HT anymore. I'm starting to like this idea. ;)

David

metalaaron
07-14-2005, 06:36 PM
i dunno. my stands weigh just over 50lbs each now. ;)

Lou-the-dog
07-15-2005, 05:14 AM
If something like this were created, I would be a fan of a passive item. This places the burden of tuning the integration onto Dave and crew who are far more qualified than me. While powered items (like the Onix PBS and RS1K with it's integrated powered bass 'stand') have the benefit of user tunability and potentially more power for the bass, they require work to setup and tune properly. Basically, you're doing the same work you would to integrate a powered sub. If you have both powered stands and a sub, you're doing even more integration work. With passive stands, Dave and crew can design an item to integrate very well with their products.

The down side (I consider this minimal) is that the product is only useful with Ascends products (perhaps only one Ascend product), but I don't see much demand for this outside of pairing with Ascend products.

As you have explained Brad, I can definitely see value in a passive stand. I suppose a passive stand could be set up for bi-amping too... but would lose the use of Dave and Co.'s crossover??

Randy

Grayson73
05-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm bored so I decided to resurrect an old thread :D

Any new ideas?

Has anyone actually upgraded?

curtis
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Since this thread originally ended in July of last year.....does upgrading to SE's count? :)

Jonnyozero3
05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I ran out of money :P

Grayson73
05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
With the Sierras out, how many of you will be changing your answers? :D

Curtis, are you going to A/B against the TAD Home Audio speakers? I guess Pioneer bought out TAD.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/product/0,,2076_310069830,00.html

The EX speakers apparently have TAD technology:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/album/0,,2076_310069828,00.html

curtis
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Too funny.....this thread was started two years ago!

Pioneer owns TAD.

I would love to compare the Sierra to the TAD bookshelf(not sure if it was actually produced), and the EX bookshelf.

muzz
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
What am I going to upgrade my Ascend 170se's(L/R) and 340SEC too?

Sierra's L/C/R........
Of course!! :eek: :D

Quinn
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Pioneer owns TAD.

And always has.

Johnal
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
...All I will say at this time regarding something new is that I have indeed been quite busy and that I plan to once again create quite a stir..... and that is all I will and can say right now.... Absolutely no time frame (because I honestly don't know right now)...

just curious if this was in reference to the SE line coming out, or if it was in reference to the new Sierra's...hmmm...considering the timing, most likely the SE's.

davef
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
just curious if this was in reference to the SE line coming out, or if it was in reference to the new Sierra's...hmmm...considering the timing, most likely the SE's.

More so towards the SE version... However, work on the Sierra actually began before development started on the SE versions...