PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to order!

Zyzzyva100
07-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I have been waiting for 2 months now to be able to order, and the paycheck I was waiting for finally came in so that I could buy.

What a great company, I called up yesterday and dave took my order for 2 340 mains. (I plan to get the center and surrounds next month). I thoroughly impressed after making the call. I love it when I can purchase items without pushy salesmen. In fact, he mentioned a few times about the 30 day return policy (not that I would ever dream of sending these back, besides, this is my first real system, and I'm sure it will sound worlds better than my aiwa bookshelf stereo that died). It was nice too that he asked about stands, because if I didn't already have ones being made then I would have been mad at myself for forgetting. He even said I should post a picture when done to show what my stands look like with the speakers.

My only complaint is that I will have to wait about a week and a half to get these, since apparently they need to build more before they can ship. Then again, having to wait for an item is generally a good thing, because it must be that good.

The 340's are going to be used with my SVS PCi 20-39 thats on its way, the Denon 3805 I just got, and the ever loveable pio 588a. I'll post again as soon as I get the speakers!

bikeman
07-01-2005, 07:36 AM
I'll post again as soon as I get the speakers!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Tell us how long it takes for the smile to start to fade (if ever so slightly).

David

Nicholas Mosher
07-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Nice! Sounds like you have an awesome setup on the way!

Eddie Horton
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Congrats on the new system. Be sure to post your impressions and ask any questions you may have along the way.

Zyzzyva100
07-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, my water heater of a sub got here today. I was tempted to hook up the reciever and play some bass tests, but decided that I would just wait. Dave told me that my speakers should be to me by next friday at the latest, which is great since I'm having a party next saturday and can show them off.

I bought a record player off ebay too, figured it would be nice to play all the old LP's I stole from my parents.

Now I just need to do some room rearrangements and modifications this weekend, and then setup everything and make my cables so when the speakers get here I can just plug them in and go. I can't wait!!

BGHD
07-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Awaiting your impressions. Have fun.

Zyzzyva100
07-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Finally got the speakers today! I am simply blown away. I had everything setup and ready to go, so when they got here all I had to do was unpack and plug the bannana plugs in.

Once I got them plugged in, I turned on my 3805, threw a CD in, and got quite a scare. I realized the volume was up around -10 dB, and as I reached for the knob, I also saw the digital light flick on, and AC/DC started. I literally jumped back about a foot I was so surprised.

I pretty much managed to get speaker placement correctly the first time I, as when I sat down I was amazed by the imaged. I could have sworn that the vocals were coming from my TV, yet it wasn't on, and I have no center channel at the moment. I also realized that the speakers sound great from pretty much either section of my couch, my bean bag chair or my futon, which is even better. I am truly impressed with these speakers, my second test was a 33 year old copy of Dark Side of the Moon (note that I am only 21). Even with the few pops and crackles from the record, it still sounded amazing!

Along with my SVS PCi 20-39, my cd's sound great. I am just watching tv now, and it sounds great too. I can hear the dialog a lot better, even at much lower sound levels. Now I just can't wait to get my last 3 speakers so that I can match some dvds in true surround sound. Hats off to Ascend!

BGHD
07-14-2005, 10:10 PM
21! Magic Johnson already had a couple rings before you were born. And, you were born after the release of Empire Strikes Back! No, not the version with all that digitally enhanced crap. Lucky you, having access to all this cool HT stuff now. Back when I was 21, it was all about 2ch stuff and Dolby was just about noise reduction technology. When I was 21, I maxed out all my credit cards in a local Rogersound Labs store (before BB, CC, GG). Never heard of them I bet? Anyway, my midlife crisis aside, sounds like you'll be having some fun with your goods over the next several weeks. Let us know when all the goods are hooked-up.

curtis
07-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Rogersound Labs!! I used to go to the one in Torrance all the time when I was a kid just looking around.

BGHD
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but was Rogersound Labs considered decent stuff back then? (used to go to one in Santa Monica, BTW) This was way before the internet, so it was very difficult to shop around. The only other place to buy electronics was the Federated Group or Fedco.

curtis
07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Yes...I think is was pretty decent. They carried all kinds of mid-fi stuff.

I used to walk around Federated as well. My Parents use to take us to Fedco all the time...but I didn't discover electronics there.

Zyzzyva100
07-17-2005, 12:32 PM
After more listening, I am ever more impressed. I set the denon to pure direct mode to get rid of any processing other than the DAC's, and popped in some of my cello cds. Since the open C string on the cello is only about 65 Hz, the lack of a crossover didn't make a difference (Other than maybe a few harmonics coming through).

My Apocalyptica (cellos playing metallica and other heavy metal) sound phenomenal. The instruments sound so real, which is quite impressive considering I have been playing, myself, for 12 years.

metalaaron
07-17-2005, 01:11 PM
hehe, apocalyptica rocks. they have some videos online that are a real treat. those guys can jam. :D