View Full Version : What speakers were on your final list,

ChrisC
06-27-2005, 01:01 PM
and why did you end up with Ascends?

BradJudy
06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Hmmm...the short list.

Ascend Acoustics (obviously)
KEF Q series (liked them more than Paradigm in a A/B in a local store - almost bought them, but sales guy was a jerk)
Onix Rocket (demoed at Sean Parque's house - more expensive - prior to release of ELT series)
Dynaudio Audience line (really liked them, but too expensive - liked them more than B&W 600 series in A/B in local store)

I didn't particularly like any of the items I listened to at Soundtrack (Ultimate Electroincs in other states). They carry Infinity, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, Def Tech, etc. The Def Techs were probably my fav out of those, but expensive and I liked others more.

I thought about Axiom, but was turned off by all of the mention of them being brighter sounding. I considered Aperion, but didn't try them. I later heard them and didn't like them as much as anything on my short list.

donkelly
06-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I didn't really do much research or make much of a list - just kept reading and got one name in my mind.

That name was Scott speakers at first. (1986)

12 years later my speakers started falling apart. The next name I came up with was Paradigm Titans. (1998).

6 years later I upgraded the cd player and realized the speakers were also part of the problem and the name was then Axiom - M3s and then M22s.

One year later I found some used Ascends. Even the people on the Axiom board think Ascends are equal to the M22s (from what I have read there) so I had to try them - given the resale value ($288 on ebay tonight).

I think they are great! About equal to the Axioms, maybe slightly better. Definitely a little less "harsh" or "detailed" depending on your perspective. But VERY NICE. Flatter and more lifelike I think than Axiom M22s - by a bit.

Kris
06-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Still havent ordered my Ascends yet :(

Im going to be oprdering a pair of cbm-170's + CMT-340c as well as a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS1's and Silver RS LCR and keeping the ones I like. The MA's are my favorites that I have heard from all the speakers I have listened to at my local shops

ChrisC
06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Thats an interesting comparison Kris
keep us posted!

Eddie
06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I picked my 340s over:

Paradigm Monitor 5s
Athena AS-F2s
Triangle Titus
Ascend 170s

I had already listened to many other speakers but those 4 were on my short list.

Decided the Triangle and 170s were too small for my cavernous space, felt that the Athenas while great in their price range at the time were a bit too clunky (WAF) and sometimes too bright, and that the Paradigms which cost about the same as the 340s locally didn't have the same quality mids.

MikeQ
07-01-2005, 06:01 AM
My short list include:

Paradigm Monitor 5's
Polk LXi or is it LSi?
Paradigm Mini Monitor's

Ultimately I went for value and ended up pretty happy.

macebanyon
07-01-2005, 10:08 AM
My short list was;

Axiom M22
Axiom M3
Athena AS-B2

Bought the Axioms and Athenas, and thank GOD, wound up with the 170's.

battlefrog
07-03-2005, 11:50 AM
I did a lot of research before I purchased my HT setup. For me and my price range, solid quality kept coming back to the Ascend Acoustics speakers. Once I had made my decision, I started looking at the package deals, tweaking it here and there to come up with my perfect set. I ended up like this:

CBM-170s Front/Left
CMT-340 Center
HTM-200s Back surround and Center
HTF-2 Sub
-Total: $1298

What an awesome system. I have a lot to learn to make this system work perfectly in my den, but when you start off with a gem like this, you can't go wrong.

Battlefrog

jeffinsalida
07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
My short list is:
Ascend 340's all around
Rocket 550"s
Swan 5.1's

Wish I could get off the fence and stop reading until midnight every night (and with wireless) change my bathroom reading material. I promise by Nov I will be able to contribute worthless opinions on why I love my choice.

MikeQ
07-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Jeff,

I don't know how big your room is but I really don't think you need 340's in the back.

I have 170's and I think that all I really need are the 200's

I love my Ascends...sound GREAT!

Lou-the-dog
07-11-2005, 04:51 AM
I have 170's and I think that all I really need are the 200's

Same here. I have considered buying some 200's for surround duty and using the 170's in a seperate room for 2 channel duty.

Randy

Lou-the-dog
07-11-2005, 04:53 AM
My short list is:
Ascend 340's all around
Rocket 550"s
Swan 5.1's

Wish I could get off the fence and stop reading until midnight every night (and with wireless) change my bathroom reading material. I promise by Nov I will be able to contribute worthless opinions on why I love my choice.

Take your time. The hunt is part of the fun.

Randy

MikeQ
07-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Lou-The-Dog,

That is my plan as well. The 170's are great, but are overkill for surrounds.

They will move upstairs into the living area to play as my multiroom speakers for some 2 channel music. That should be a great place for them.

The HMT200's will have a lower profile and I am sure they will get the job done very well.

Mike