PDA

View Full Version : No Output from Subwoofer

slopo2
06-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I just finished connecting a 5.1 setup to a HK 435 receiver. All Ascend speakers have output except for the HSU VTF-2 subwoofer. Thinking that the subwoofer cable was defective, I purchased and connected a different cable, but this too did not fix the problem. I've gone through all of the receiver menu items to verify that the subwoofer was in fact turned on. By using the "TEST" button on the HK remote, all of the speakers receive and play the test tone, except for the subwoofer.

Any thoughts on what I might try, or what the problem might be?

curtis
06-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Does the amp light on the sub go from red to green?

slopo2
06-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Yes, the light turns from red to green when turned on. It also goes from red to green when set to AUTO and the receiver is sending a signal. I read on the HSU forum of someone esle having the same problem. His fix, after calling HSU tech support, was to reconnect the red lead wire to the woofer inside the box which supposedly became loose during shipping. I wonder if this subwoofer fell victim to the same situation?

curtis
06-26-2005, 04:36 PM
If that is the case, I would give Ascend or Hsu a call.

Lee Bailey
07-02-2005, 09:58 AM
So, did ya fix it?

CraigT
07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I have an AVR-430 and it does not have a test tone for a sub-woofer. I'd guess your 435 also lacks a low freq test tone.

Jake518
07-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm a proud new owner of a complete set of Ascend speakers (340's up front/170's in the rear) and H/K 635 receiver. I was going to purchase a HSU sub, but came across a great deal on an Outlaw LFM-1 sub I couldn't pass up. I've had the speakers for a little over a week now and absolutely love them.

I can't wait to hear how they sound with a sub connected. Luckily, I just got my new Outlaw LFM-1 sub delivered today. I went through the setup manual and think I've hooked everything up correctly, but I'm getting no sound (like the slopo2).

Here's what I did - on the Preout section on my receiver, I ran a standard RCA video cable from the "subwoofer" connection to the "sub in" connection on the LFM-1. I've powered up the unit and I get a green light, showing a signal is recognized. I also appears the unit is recognized by the receiver, because the LFE is lit up in the display. I've tried adjusting x-over and phase, but that didn't appear to have any effect.

Can anyone please shed some light on what I've done wrong? Am I using the wrong cable? Is there a setting somewhere in my receiver that has my sub disabled (I did find the speaker setup section and have the front/center/rears set to small, and my sub set at 12")?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jake

Lee Bailey
07-11-2005, 06:07 PM
In your setup, I take it that there is an option to set the sub to yes or on? Also, is there a dedicated subwoofer out jack, or just the pre-outs? Having LFE light up does not mean the receiver 'sees' the subwoofer, since the sub has no way to communicat with the receiver. Is it not working with all source selections, such as CD or DVD, VCR, etc?, or just not producing a test tone from within the receiver?

Jake518
07-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Lee, thanks for the suggestions. The sub wasn't even producing a test tone. So on a hunch, I removed the woofer from the bottom of the sub and found the culprit... one of the speaker wires detached during shipping. After reattaching that everything is great. Now just time to calibrate...

Jake