PDA

View Full Version : upgraders

curtis
06-23-2005, 09:58 PM
I read a lot of the other forums, and I notice people that are constantly upgrading.

Granted, I upgraded from CBM-170's to CMT-340's about 2 years ago, and I have upgraded my electronics a few times.....two receivers, seperate amp, pre/pro, and additional amp. My sub has not changed either.

I read about guys changing speakers three or four times in the same span I have had mine.

As far as speakers are concerned, I don't find myself lusting for somethingelse or feel a need for a change......I am quite happy as it is. That isn't to say I'm not going to change. I guess I have heard enough stuff, and haven't found anything I can afford that warrants a upgrade.

What do you guys think? Are you always looking at other stuff?

BradJudy
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Nope, I'm not always searching for an upgrade. I think the whole upgrade obsession is mainly a personality thing, but having nice sounding speakers doesn't hurt. :) I probably would have moved to 340 mains, but I love my special 170s too much. :)

I have things I would like to do (just did the projector, want to EQ the sub, maybe pre/pro and amp sometime). I am interested in trying different things in my two-channel setup sometime (maybe a tube pre-amp or different speakers). Less upgrading and more trying things out.

Nicholas Mosher
06-23-2005, 10:39 PM
With HT and DVD-A/SACD having become a major hobby (and money pit), I'm always on the lookout for better technology. I'm completely happy with everything I have right now, and the only thing I would change if I had a bigger budget would be Paradigm Signature S2s. Since they're way out of my budget, I'm perfectly happy and satisfied with my 170s which are atleast 90% as good.

When I started piecing together a setup I set expectations and made a list of things I could live without. Surprisingly, I met or exceeded all my expectations in every area. Amazing performance/value from my 170s, 950 pre/pro, and BFD pEQ. Other items cost me more than I expected (Amp & Subs), but I discovered through auditioning that my expectations rose higher than originally planned. The original budget was kept though due to the savings reaped from the above mentioned values.

Keeping those same guidelines when it comes to upgrades, I've yet to see a new pre/pro, amp, sub, etc that seriously gives me a case of the "gimme gimmies". That will change with the release of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray though... :D

bikeman
06-24-2005, 05:10 AM
Less upgrading and more trying things out.

That's pretty much how I look at it. Every hobby seems to be the same way. I've bought most of my bikes from people who were buying the latest and greatest. Putting a carbon fiber rear triangle on an aluminum bicycle frame does nothing but lighten the wallet considerably but it's been a big success nonetheless.
I also think that these forums add a tremendous amount of support for upgraditus. I'm fascinated by the AV123 Forum even though I don't own any of their products. I wouldn't want our forum to go in that direction but each forum seens to reflect the respective CEO so there isn't much chance of that.
This is at the top of my current upgraditus.

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Clari_T_Amp.html

David

Mag_Neato
06-24-2005, 07:11 AM
I only look for something new if I feel my current setup is lacking in a way I can't live with. when I moved to the 170's it was because my B&W 602's were just not right with a lot of material.........to my ears.

When I went from a Marantz Digital-ready receiver to the Outlaw 1050 it was because I was not happy with the Marantz' music sound, and I wanted better bass management and dts.

The only area I feel the need to improve is my subwoofer. It does most things very well. I had the chance to hear a highly regarded sub and was impressed by the definition of the bass notes. Now I understand the term "accurate bass" and am determined to have it.

Lee Bailey
06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Upgraditis hit me occasionally, the last round being the purchase of my Ascends. Though my Polks were only 5 years old, I felt the need to change them out. They served us very well during their term, I even rebuilt all their crossovers, switching out iron core inductors for air core, as well as Solen Poly caps and Mills resistors. I LIKE to tweak electronics, so I'm open to using a soldering iron if it calls for it. The component I've upgraded the most has been receivers. I started with a Sony STR-DE895, then to a Sony STR-DA1ES, and finally have stopped (for now), with my Denon 3803. I've changed receivers mainly to take advantage of the newer decoding technologies.

While I would like to replace my Sony bigscreen with something with HD capabilities, I'm waiting it out till digital transmission becomes mandatory. We still watch quite a bit of programming that is Standard Def, and when watching it on a 53" full screen, it looks great, much better than when you watch in on a HD set, with either bars or the full screen widening effect.
I've tweaked the Sony so much, that it still looks great. I open it up every 6 months and clean the lenses, and the mirror if it needs it.

In a few years, the LCD and DLP units should finally be able to reproduce black levels as good or better than the CRT units, plus the prices come down more and more to a reasonable level. Of course, with the new HD DVD coming up soon, I will be tempted to go to HD sooner. My wife will see to it that I don't! :(

curtis
06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I am in the Brad/bikeman camp. I would like to try different things, but don't feel compelled to spend money or "got to have".

mattepntr
06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
When I first got serious about acquiring an HT system,
I spent months researching the different elements that
would comprise it (speakers, receiver or pre/pro, amps,
DVD player, display etc.). I started thinking very modestly.
The first speakers I looked into started with the letter "B".

Long story short, it was over a year before I felt like I knew
enough about any of it to make an informed decision. Then I
went out and purchased everything, and haven't felt a single
moment of buyer's remorse. I also haven't experienced
upgraditis since. I look at my year-long research odyssey
as a period of "virtual upgraditis"!

Nicholas Mosher
06-24-2005, 06:33 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/agree.gif

Lou-the-dog
06-24-2005, 06:52 PM
For some, it seems that upgraditis is a REAL disease and an apparent addiction with tens of thousands spent on the quest for the ultimate system. As with any hobby there will always be a next step I guess. I enjoy listening to other gear but here in Timbuctu, Iowa I don't get much opportunity. If I have a hankering to listen to different stuff then I'll probably have to buy it. What is interesting, tho, is that what speakers I have heard outside the Ascend lineup only reaffirms how great the Ascends really are.

Randy

Nicholas Mosher
06-24-2005, 07:59 PM
What is interesting, tho, is that what speakers I have heard outside the Ascend lineup only reaffirms how great the Ascends really are.http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/agree.gif

Eddie Horton
06-25-2005, 06:25 AM
I plan on getting a projector to replace my 51" Sony when we move into the new house. Also, adding a few more monoblocks and replacing my Yamaha receiver with a pre/pro will be in the works. I think "taking it to the next level" works for me more than simply upgrading the products I currently have. For example, after I got my Yamaha HTR-5790, my eye caught the Pioneer Elite 56TXi. But, instead of getting yet another receiver, I decided to save and wait for a pre/pro. The only speakers out there that really interest me are the new Adire LCR's. But, until the move is complete and I have a shop to work in, that's out of the question.

Jonnyozero3
06-27-2005, 12:55 AM
I feel like I'm always researching and reading trying to learn more and it always makes me want to at least see or hear something new. I can't really jump into upgradeitis yet since I haven't finished my setup, but I have to say I am so happy with my 170s that I find myself lusting over 340 pictures from time to time :D

I finally got my PC hooked up to my HK 435 so I could listen to my 1500 songs from college....I definately need a CD/SACD/DVD-A library upgrade. Curse Ascend for showing me MP3s do not cut it ;)

I do have a serious problem with over-researching and not buying at all. I still don't have a sub, decent dvd player, decent audio player and haven't finished the DIY screen for my PJ yet. Inaction is my creed! The forum my double-edged sword! :p

Other than that I have other hobbies to blow money on: offroading, auto detailing, TV shows on DVD, mountain biking, computers, lawn care (groan), reading all the damn Wheel of Time books, food......

Johnal
08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Long time no see eh Curtis? Well I wouldn't say that I've got a case of the upgraditis (or however you spell it) but my personal life is improving and am getting back into the swing of old hobbies. Last year I got my 340 mains and center and was going to get the 170's for rears but stuff came up that didn't allow me to do that. Now I'm getting back in the motion and am e-mailing away to see about those 170's! I might order an extra pair just to have as monitors. I dove in and went for an SVS PC-Ultra sub and now I'm reading about this new Hsu "HO" model sub that's due to come out?! Why didn't anyone tell me about this? Well we shall see how things turn out...i have high expectations from the PC-Ultra and I'm sure it will do me good. :)

-Johnal

curtis
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Johnal!!

The Ultra sub should bring you lots of pleasure!

Welcome back!

Quinn
08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Welcome back Johnal! Did you end up with that H/K 7200 you were eyeing?

Johnal
08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Yes I did actually! :D Wow impressive memory! lol It's quite the beast and I'm still 100% satisfied with my purchase. Now all I need are my 170's and I'm set for some serious LOTR! I'm still using a rather ghetto self made speaker stand for my center as it's actually placed ABOVE my TV but It's angled down a bit so it works.