PDA

View Full Version : cables

Ben_Wood
11-02-2003, 05:08 AM
I bought all of my cables and interconnects from www.partsexpress.com , they were fairly cheap and I'm satisfied with the results. I think that your money can be better spent on more software (cds and dvds)!

curtis
11-02-2003, 05:55 AM
Frank,

As for my sub cable, I went to a local electronic shop and bought a pretty basic shielded 10 foot rca to rca cable. My speaker cables are from Home Depot....12gauge stuff. My interconnects are also from partexpress.com.....it was on sale.

Sounded pretty good when you were here...right?

-curtis

marko
11-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Hi Everyone,
My set of 4x170s and 1x340 is being manufactured as we speak [8D]. But I haven't ordered my cables yet.

Curtis, I've seen many of your posts where you say that you got the "Home Depot" 12 gauge wire. I've stopped by my local Home Depot and all they had was 14 gauge.

Since we are talking wires - anyone got experience with the wire that Ascend sells?

Right now, I can use any recommendations for wiring :)

Btw. - should I bi-wire my 340 center speaker. Does the center speaker need shielding?

...Marko

...Marko

curtis
11-03-2003, 06:52 AM
marko,

All Ascends are already shielded. No need for any more shielding.

I was at home depot the other day, and they did not have the 12gauge that I got there before. Go to partsexpress.com and purchase some SoundKing 12gauge. I do not have any experience with the wire that Ascend sells.

As for bi-wiring the 340....I have not done it.

-curtis

marko
11-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Curtis,
Sorry I mistyped - what I meant to ask if the speaker wire for the center channel needs to be shielded.

...Marko

...Marko

curtis
11-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Oh....don't think so...mine isn't anything special.

-curtis

BradJudy
11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Shielded speaker cable should only be needed if you doing something like running it alongside unshielded power cables moving a lot of juice. In which case I'd look at separating the cables or getting a shielded power cable before I looked at getting shielded speaker cable.