PDA

View Full Version : Calling cell phone gurus...

curtis
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
OK...so I am in the market for a new cell phone. The contenders are:

Audiovox SMT-5600: I like its size, and it has the functionality that I want/need. Price is right...but I am a bit worried about the Mobile PC platform.

Blackberry 7100: Again, good size and functionality. I am a Blackberry fan. Price is also right. Slightly bigger than the SMT-5600, and the memory is not expandable.

Treo 650: Has everything. Bigger than the other two. More costly.

Anybody have experience with any of these phones?

lmm
06-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I've had Palms for a really long time: Palm I, II, V, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650. So I guess I'm hooked on them. It's not really a phone, it's a little computer (and costs as much). It's a combination phone/organizer/calculator/game machine/MP3 player/multi-language dictionary/portable library/web browser.

I use it 100 times a day -- read the news, check email, call people, record everything, look up words, pocket watch (I don't wear a wristwatch.)

There are certainly some quirks -- it takes a while to get used to what works and doesn't. I haven't had much use for the camera -- I carry another pocket camera, but the 650 camera is at least decent.

I've bought a lot of software for it: language dictionaries for traveling, a couple of games. It's my fallback way of connecting my laptop to the Internet when I don't have any other connection (through bluetooth.)
I have a 512MB SDRam card. I got service with "unlimited Internet".

Of course, a lot of these things are available for pocketPC, but I suppose the palm software market is more 'mature'.