PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound

MikeQ
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I know that this does not originate from the speakers. There is a popping noise occasionaly in my system. It is really anoying...

any ideas?

curtis
06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Can you describe in what situations it happens? Watching a DVD? Listening to a CD? Watching TV? Changing channels? etc...

JohnnyCasaba
06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
What AVR or Pre/Pro are you using? Does it happen at the start of discs or when you change the channel while watching TV?

MikeQ
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
only while watching TV/Movie on HBO. I am using one of those Marantz 8400's...hope that it is not the issue...that could be expensive....

Maybe it is just not set up correctly...?

curtis
06-20-2005, 10:34 AM
So is it all throughot the movie?

I know I get an occasional click or pop on HBO when they switch to DD5.1 at the beginning of a movie.....but it doesn't happen after that.

MikeQ
06-20-2005, 10:36 AM
probably that is it...did not realize that the switch would be so noticable...kinda concerned about the speakers getting hurt.

JohnnyCasaba
06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Just like Curtis said, I get it too sometimes when my AVR senses a change in the digital stream. Like going from DD to DD 5.1, or plain stereo while channel surfing. Can happen also while cycling thru the different sound tracks on DVD's in play.

MikeQ
06-20-2005, 12:08 PM
are you concerned about the speakers?

JohnnyCasaba
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Yes I am, but I use the system for very little TV watching, mostly DVD's and music. I just try and be careful with the volume while switching.

MikeQ
06-20-2005, 04:33 PM
so this makes me wonder....do all recievers do this or is there something wrong with mine...or the setup???

curtis
06-20-2005, 04:55 PM
I think it has more to do with how well/cleanly the satellite/cable box can switch between signals, as well as how well the receiver can switch between streams.

Does that make sense?

JeffD2
06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
I've never encountered a click or pop in my system while switching from anything. Do you have a dedicated, properly grounded circuit supplying power to your HT? Might be worth looking into.

Jeff

metalaaron
06-20-2005, 08:59 PM
my friend had an intermittent ticking/popping over his digital cable on several channels. we tried all sorts of stuff to get it to stop except for praying. he had the cable company come out, and they were able to clean up his line a little bit. he said the popping decreased significantly, and i did not notice it last time i was over there.

JeffD2
06-22-2005, 05:21 PM
only while watching TV/Movie on HBO. I am using one of those Marantz 8400's...hope that it is not the issue...that could be expensive....

Maybe it is just not set up correctly...?

If you have a cable box, the cable wire coming into your house must be grounded seperately. I had a grounding clamp break (didn't have HT system then). Called the cable company and they came out and replaced it**. If you're in an apartment complex, ask neighbors if they hear the pop when switching.

**Them: "do you think it's important?' Me: "I don't care, it's your equipment."
They were there the next day.

MikeQ
06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
ok this sounds promising...

so are you saying they will have to replace the cable to the house. It is burried and that would make a mess.

OR are you saying they need to ground the cable?

JeffD2
06-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Mine is grounded where the wire comes into the house to the actual copper strand (this is the one driven into the earth around the foundation) for the main panel. The main panel ground is also connected to the plumbing which is code around here. You can ground to that as well. No you don't dig up the cable.

PLEASE- If you're not sure (disclaimer), let the cable co. or an electrician handle it.