PDA

View Full Version : Gettin Closer...................

soundfreak38
06-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Hello forum members it has been a lil while since I posted here. My question is simple--are there any members here that own the cmt-340m's that put them on a different stand and not the ones Ascend sells???? No offense but I just dont like the looks of them too much. Don't mean to step on anyones toes so to speak. Just curious if any other members did not care for them either. It looks like I will be going with the cbm-170's anyways for front and rear along with the cmt-340c for my center. Circuit city has some cool looking stands for $100 and I like the look a lot. I also like the studio techs that Nicholas Mosher uses. Thank you for your time. Please let me know what you are thinking.
Phil

shane55
06-19-2005, 03:31 PM
I put the 340's (L&R) on PSB stands that are meant for their Image line. They were about $80/pair and work just fine. They stand about 25" and that puts the 340's tweeter right at ear level. These stands are wood and MDF and the finish is almost an identical match to the Ascends. They come with spikes and adjustable rubber feet.

My 170's are on adjustable hight stands by "FurnitureWorks". I got them many years ago at GoodGuys and have them extended to about 46"h for my surrounds. It's as high as they go... I may put them on small tables to get them up another foot or two, but for now they are adequate.

My 340c sits above the TV on the top of the entertainment cabinet, overhanging the front slightly and angling down.

Cheers

shane

Eddie Horton
06-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Curtis has some custom made stands that look really nice with his setup. Maybe he'll show up and post some pics and give more info.

Zyzzyva100
06-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I am also curious to see what else people have. I plan to put my surrounds on stands, so I would like to have matching stands for all my speakers, just with different heights.

soundfreak38
06-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks people. Glad to see that I am not the only one who does not care for the Ascend stands with respect to the 340m's. No offense to anyone who owns them just not what I prefer. In the end I will get the cbm-170's for my fronts and a cmt-340c for my center. Personally, I like the studio tech stands Nicholas Mosher uses and Circuit City has some nice ones too that are 24" or 31" if I remeber right. Can't remember the brand but they are $99 pair.

Zyzzyva100
06-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Its not that I don't like them, and I probably would have gone with them if I could have wall mounted my surrounds, but since I can't, I want monitor stands.

I debated using the omnimount adjustable stands all around, but I really don't like them too much, and neither does my girlfriend.

I will probably go with the studiotech stands. The ascend speakers look quite sharp on them, and they come in various fixed heights, which I like since the surrounds need to be on 36 inch stands so as to not direct their sound right into the back of my couches.

soundfreak38
06-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I like those stands Shane. The stands at CC that I like are the OmniMount COSMIC24 and the COSMIC31. They are made of extruded aluminum and can be filled with sand. The top plate swivels as well. The bottom and top plates are black. The upright is silver. The silver and black combination should look great with the Ascends.

shane55
06-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, they work, and the WAF is 100% ;)

Had I not bought them at the same time I was auditioning the PSB's, I probably would have gone with something else... maybe something like these:
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Sanus/EF-24B/All/0C1/0PSY0005.htm

I already had the telescoping ones for the rears (which I may replace), so the fronts were the immediate concern. The PSB stands just happened to be the exact height I needed, so... a bird in the hand... :D

shane

curtis
06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Curtis has some custom made stands that look really nice with his setup. Maybe he'll show up and post some pics and give more info.
Here you go:
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/16287101-S.jpg

The stands were made by Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design in Georgia:
http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com

They were not inexpensive, but I needed specific height, and Brian was able to match the finish I wanted pretty closely. I am very happy with them, but it did hurt the wallet a bit, and pricing has gone up since I bought them.

If I didn't need the specific height, I would have went with the Ascend custom stands.

For surrounds, my Father uses some pretty nice height adjustable stands. The top plate clamps onto the speaker, and the base is a three leg design that is pretty wide. It is pretty sturdy, but if my kids were around them a lot, I would be a bit nervous.

Zyzzyva100
06-20-2005, 08:41 AM
For surrounds, my Father uses some pretty nice height adjustable stands. The top plate clamps onto the speaker, and the base is a three leg design that is pretty wide. It is pretty sturdy, but if my kids were around them a lot, I would be a bit nervous.

Do you know what make/model those stands are, or where to get them? My biggest concern is being able to fasten the speakers to the stand. No kids yet, but my cat can sure can jump.

curtis
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
My Parents just left on a two week trip to Hong Kong and Japan, so I won't be able to get that info until they get back.

I might check on the house while they are gone, if I do that, I will at least take some pictures for you.

hopjohn
06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I orginally purchased the Ascends stands for my 340's, but unfortunately they were a touch too short. After returning them for a full refund (great customer service by the way). I replaced them with the Sanus Systems SF26B stands.

https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/foundations/steel.html&cart_id=2064326_14659

shane55
06-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Those are great... and like the ones I have, the perfect height for the fronts.
Depending on how things get re-modeled (re-arranged), I may opt for that version of a center chanel stand.

I think my rear speakers need a bit more height (currently I'm at 46"), so I'll probably go with a set of these:
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/VTI/BLE201/0PVI1050.htm

cheers

shane

curtis
06-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Those look like the the stands my Parents use for the CBM-170/surrounds.

Zyzzyva100
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Shane, I take it you use your setup mostly for movies then? I plan to use my system fairly evenly split between movies and music, so I plan to go with 36 inch stands in the back. That sits the bottom of the speaker at the height of the back of my couches. Higher may be nice for movies, but given that my rear speakers will be between the couch and the bar, the taller the stands the better chance of them keeping tipped over.

Do those stands latch onto the speakers though? I mean, can you have them up high and then tilt them downwards?

shane55
06-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Well... actually I would guess 50/50. However, I don't have any multi-chanel music capabilities. No SACD or DVD-A player, so all my music is in stereo (or 5/7 ch. stereo). So it really doesn't matter how high the rears are... and they become important only for movies.

The stands I currently use for the 170's are very similar to these. They have soft foam inside the 'grippers'. I don't know how these VTI's work, but with mine, as you tighten the 'grippers' into place, they tilt up slightly, putting additional pressure inwards. I currently do not have the 170's tilted because they are just above ear-level and don't think it's necessary for their current application... but if I get these taller stands I would... if they allowed.

Yes, the position they are in now would seem to be a perfect compromise for surround multi-chanel music and movies. Maybe I'll just keep them where they are (at 46"... about 1 ft. above my head).

cheers

shane

bikeman
06-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Those are great... and like the ones I have, the perfect height for the fronts.
Depending on how things get re-modeled (re-arranged), I may opt for that version of a center chanel stand.

I think my rear speakers need a bit more height (currently I'm at 46"), so I'll probably go with a set of these:
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/VTI/BLE201/0PVI1050.htm

cheers

shane

These are similar to my sat stands except mine are just a bit too narrow for the 170's.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-762

David

shane55
06-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah... I just noticed that the VTI's say that they are only (max) 7" wide. Ugh... that just won't cut it. Mebbie I'll just stick with what I gots... :o
It's cheaper that way too.

Gotta get offline... my Subdude just arrived! More later.

shane

These are similar to my sat stands except mine are just a bit too narrow for the 170's.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-762

David

lmm
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
I already had a pair of 24 inch SANUS Basic Foundation Series (from standsandmounts.com). The Steel Foundations look like they're heavier (of course), but also more expensive.

I used 4 dabs (1/2" balls) of earthquake putty (QuakeHold) under the speakers to stick them onto the stands and add a little more stability. This works pretty well; the speakers are really pretty securely attached, but it's also possible to remove without any damage.