PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Austin or Houston TX willing to demo?

thephatp
06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Is there anyone in Austin (or Houston, if you could do it on Saturday or Sunday of this weekend June 18,19) who has some Ascend speakers I could audition?

I'm trying to decide between Klipsch, Axiom, and Ascend. All have good marks. The Klipsch RF-25 were awesome, but I'm afraid they'll be too bright for my all ceramic tile house (only the 3 beds and study have carpet). I've heard the Axiom and Ascend are more neutral, which might be better for my room.

By the way, does anyone know what's best for absorbing the most in terms of shag rugs? I've found some that 100% cotton, 100% wool, mix of wool and cotton, 100% Polypropylene, and I think that's it. What's the best to choose? And where can I get a good pad to go underneath to absorb more sound? (My wife won't let me put up diffusors, and there isn't much room to hang tapestry.)

Ok, but back to the original question...Anyone willing to let me hear their system in Austin or Houston TX?

Thanks!

curtis
06-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I know there are couple of guys in your area, so hopefully they will pipe in.

Ceramic tile is going to be tough on sound. What about the walls and windows? Is there are a lot of glass?

Which Axioms do you have in mind?

thephatp
06-17-2005, 05:39 AM
I know there are couple of guys in your area, so hopefully they will pipe in.

Anyone?? :D

Ceramic tile is going to be tough on sound. What about the walls and windows? Is there are a lot of glass?

Yeah, I've posted in other forums trying to get help here. Not sure what I can do. It's an open floorplan, so that helps.

http://aus.drhorton.com/plan.aspx?PlanId=1071

Looking at the diagram, west wall will be TV and mains, north wall is 2 windows (b/c we have the fireplace), south wall is a half wall, and back is open.

We're going to have curtains, obviously, and we're going to put down like an 8'x10' or 8'x11' shag rug (and suggestions on a pad underneath?), but there really isn't much wall space, so there is not a whole lot more I can do. My wife won't let me put up any time of diffusors, and I don't think she'll go for anything on the ceiling either. (I know, stinks, huh?)

Which Axioms do you have in mind?

(BTW, the actual room size is about 2300 cu. ft.)
I was thinking of something like this:

Mains: CMT-340
Center: CMT-340c
Surround: CBM-170
Sub: VTF2-MK2 (or possibly STF-3, but that's REALLY stretching the budget)

If it's really worth it, I could knock out the surrounds for now and go for the STF-3.

Quinn
06-17-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm not availible this weekend but I am in Houston.

thephatp
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Man, very little response...

Anyone? Is there anyone at all out there that would be willing to let me hear their system?

I'm trying decide something (in terms of non-internet speakers) by this weekend, and I'd really like to check the Ascend speakers out (without having to pay shipping back if I don't like them ;) ).

curtis
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Did you get in contact with Quinn? Seems like he is willing but didn't have time this past weekend.

thephatp
06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Did you get in contact with Quinn? Seems like he is willing but didn't have time this past weekend.

Slipped my mind last week that this past weekend was Father's Day weekend (I did remember to get my dad something, but it just didn't dawn on me that the weekend would probably be tied up for most people). That said, I live in Austin, and I only get to head down to Houston once every couple of months.

So thanks for the offer, Quinn. If I head back down there anytime soon, I'll send you a message!

Otherwise, I'll have to try to find someone here in Austin to help me out! There's got to be someone around here who wants to convert me! Now, how do I get them to come check the forum??? ;)

badassfajita
03-31-2006, 09:16 AM
I too am requesting an audition of 340's in Houston--anyone available? You will be rewarded with beer... :)

tamuct
04-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm in Austin and would be willing to let you audition my Ascends. (340 mains, 340 center, 170 surrounds). Shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Eddie
04-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I too am requesting an audition of 340's in Houston--anyone available? You will be rewarded with beer... :)

sorry, didn't see this thread until today. PM me, I live about 5 minutes from downtown.

Quinn
04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm down south in Pearland. I'm in and out of town a lot dealing with an illness in the family.