PDA

View Full Version : Auditioning 340's in S.F. Bay Area

Ahab
06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I recently picked up a set of the 340's and am still in the process of getting it set up properly in my apartment. Overall, I really like the detail they give but am having some trouble getting used to the emphases placed on the high end of the sound spectrum.
This may sound silly, but I'd like to see someone else's setup to possibly help me learn better what I might be able to do to improve my own setup.
I presently have my speakers setup in my living room and am using the denon 3805 receiver. Haven't had a chance to do the auto EQ on the denon, but hope to be able to do that by this weekend.
If anyone in the bay area would be willing to show off their system, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Lou-the-dog
06-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Ahab,

I hope you find someone in that area to help you out. If you are planning a trip to Iowa you'd be more than welcome!

The clarity and detail that the Ascends offer could initially be percieved as emphasis to the high end. I think it really depends on what you have become accustomed to listening to before the Ascends. I experienced the same thought as yours, initially, but now there is no way that I could possibly accept any different speaker that rolls off the highs (or accentuates the highs for that matter). The Ascends do a very good job of presenting the material is it supposed to be heard...give them a little time and I think you will be quite pleased.

Randy

Ahab
06-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Randy, I grew up in Davenport and still have a number of relatives in that area and in Iowa city. So someday I may take you up on your offer. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience with the speakers. As you say, they sure provide a lot of detail. I am spending as much time listening to music as I can to get adjusted to the new sound. Also trying to read up on room treatments to understand what I can do to improve my listening environment.
Hal

curtis
06-16-2005, 08:31 AM
A couple of things I would check:

make sure everything thing is hooked up properly, in particular, the phase/polarity of the speaker connections.

The EQ for the Denon...make sure it is off and that no manual settings remain, ie. make sure it is all set to flat. You 3805 owners can let me know if I am off base with this one.

Lou-the-dog
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Randy, I grew up in Davenport and still have a number of relatives in that area and in Iowa city. So someday I may take you up on your offer. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience with the speakers. As you say, they sure provide a lot of detail. I am spending as much time listening to music as I can to get adjusted to the new sound. Also trying to read up on room treatments to understand what I can do to improve my listening environment.
Hal

Hey, small world it is! Good college buddy of mine was from the Quad Cities. Made a road trip to there more than once. Good beer, rock bands, and BBQ!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Would your room be considered bright acoustically?

Randy

shane55
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Ahab...
I've sent you a PM.

Curtis... you are correct about the D-3805 and EQ. Shut all tone controls off and EQ off. Must start out in 'Stereo' if a sub is involved... when BM will be used. Need to know a bit more about Ahab's complete system. What does 'set of the 340's' mean? 5.1? etc. ;)

shane

Ahab
06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey, small world it is! Good college buddy of mine was from the Quad Cities. Made a road trip to there more than once. Good beer, rock bands, and BBQ!
It's been about 20 years since I've been back there, but I'm pretty confident that the beer and rock bands are even better out here. :D
But the whole state of Iowa has us beat when it comes to BBQ.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Would your room be considered bright acoustically?

Randy

I'm honestly not sure. I woud assume not because of wall to wall carpeting and curtains on the windows. Don't have anything like a coffee table sitting in the middle of the room. Also, have a well padded sofa and recliner in the room. There is a wall heater sticking out on one of the walls. Not sure what affect that has. :confused:

Hal

Lou-the-dog
06-17-2005, 05:33 AM
It appears you have a reasonably non-reflective room and shouldn't be a problem.

Randy

AjayRav
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey Ahab,

You are welcome to check out my CMT340 +CBM170 front-end. I use this with a Marantz SR8400 receiver and SA8260 SACD /CD player. This combination is not bright at all and sounds great. I live in Walnut Creek. You are welcome to bring your 340s along to see how they sound with my electronics. My mains are crossed-over at 80hz to a RAVA sub.

Ajay

Ahab
06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Ajay, I've sent you an email.
Thanks for the offer!

Christian M
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Ajay or Ahab:

I just crossed this thread and was curious if either one of you guys would mind if I had a little audition...? I'm in SF as well. Very curious about how the ascends sound.

I sent PM's as well.

Thanks,

Christian