PDA

View Full Version : Cbm-170

kinggimp82
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
im looking to replace some old rt400 polks. the mids are alright on
the polks but the highs are down right harsh.

i just bought an hsu stf-2 sub. bass is great but im looking to add
some quality mids/highs.

do any cbm-170 owners live near green bay wisconsin. id like to
audition before i buy.

also do good bookshelves and a good sub perform like nice
floorstanders? ive never owned a nice set of bookshelves.

any other input on the cbm-170 would help

Mag_Neato
06-15-2005, 12:08 PM
I have 170's running with a 12" sub and the combination sounds excellent.

I used the same sub with a pair of Vandersteen 1B's and a pair of B&W 602's.

The mids are cleaner than either of those models, and the highs are less fatigueing and more detailed as well.

The only penalty incurred with smaller speakers would be in dynamic capability, or the difference in sound pressure levels from the softest sounds to the loudest. A larger speaker will be able to play louder in side by side listening. That does not mean the sound QUALITY will be better because it plays louder.

The 170's have been so good for music, they have inspired me to upgrade my sub to bring the low frequency detail up a notch or two!

JohnnyCasaba
06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Don't live near Wisconsin, but this recent AVS thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=547214

One post in particular I would like to quote:

"I'm still amazed at the number of 'philes who turn off their subwoofer (a vile, evil, rumbling manifestation of that filthy, pedestrian medium...multichannel sound) in order to *correctly* experience pure sound. Apparently, some still think bass extension detracts from the listening experience.

I draw no distinction between music and movie soundtracks when it comes to subwoofers. A good sub, well placed and calibrated, contributes to the accuracy of the system. Using a crossover, excess excursion is mostly removed from the main speakers, further cleaning the midrange. A powered sub with highpassed fronts also leaves more power for the mains. In addition, the best placement for the fronts is never the best placement for a subwoofer, other than in the area of coherency at the crossover point.

Good comments from AcuraCL, BTW. The smaller baffle of a "bookshelf" speaker can contribute to better imaging than a larger speaker."