PDA

View Full Version : To listen

alerion
06-15-2005, 12:23 AM
I am between deciding rockets, ascend and PSB stratus for my 5.1 HT system. I already listened to stratus and am pretty pleased with it. But, haven't listened to the other two direct's. I know I could order them and return it within 30 days. But, that is a hassle in itself. Are there any San Diegans who would be nice enough to audition their rockets or ascend speakers to me. Thanks!

bikeman
06-15-2005, 05:07 AM
The experience of auditioning speakers in my own home with my own equipment makes the return shipping a minor inconvience. Hearing speakers played in stores or other people's homes is enjoyable but it can't take the place of an extended in-home audition.
The only piece of audio gear that I get attached to are speakers. The rest of the gear is pretty much just a means to an end for me.

My six step program:

Narrow it down.
Bring em home.
Audition.
Decide.
Return the other speakers.
Enjoy.

David

Lou-the-dog
06-15-2005, 05:37 AM
My six step program:

Narrow it down.
Bring em home.
Audition.
Decide.
Return the other speakers.
Enjoy.

David

I used to have a similiar program back in my dating days. :D Ohhh so long ago!

Randy

curtis
06-15-2005, 07:18 AM
If you would rather hassle a 2 hour drive, I'm in Manhattan Beach, and you are welcome to hear my Ascend set-up.

But I agree with the guys above, as much as I like having people over and listening to their music on my system, nothing beats having the speakers in your own setup for audition.

alerion
06-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks Curtis for the offer. I was hoping to find someone closer, but it is looking highly unlikely. I was atleast able to get a couple of folks in my distant neighborhood to audition their rockets to me. It might very well sway my decision over to the other camp.

curtis
06-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I know there is at least one in San Diego, but he has a new baby at home, and I won't volunteer him.

alerion
06-15-2005, 10:45 PM
I've a one year old and we won't be playing anything loud either.

curtis
06-15-2005, 10:55 PM
I have a 7 yr old son and 5 yr old year old daughter. The 5 yr old loves music, the 7 yr old not quite as much....but he is a boy..hahaha.

I understand your auditioning dilemma....and I hope you get to hear some Ascends before you make a decision. I truly believe that their sound quality value is unsurpassed.